• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

ModlrMike said:
The NDP concerned about CF members? Now I know the rapture is soon upon us!

You can relax about the rapture. The NDP still doesn't give a rat's behind.

So why is there this move to bring us more inline with the PS anyways? We are certainly in a lot of ways different, no union and other differences. Will these changes and possible elimination and reduction of benefits drive people away?

Chief Stoker said:
So why is there this move to bring us more inline with the PS anyways?

We've generaly been pretty happy to play the "the PS gets a raise, we get a raise" card the last few years. No sense expecting to have our cake and eat it too.

CDN Aviator said:
We've generaly been pretty happy to play the "the PS gets a raise, we get a raise" card the last few years. No sense expecting to have our cake and eat it too.

No I suppose, but sometimes the wait is just as bad especially when the PS has to settle all contracts before we see anything.

So our severance pay upon is no longer after 1 april? Sorry if i'm not following here folks.

Chief Stoker said:
No I suppose, but sometimes the wait is just as bad especially when the PS has to settle all contracts before we see anything.

To be honest, the PLD system is fooked to begin with and needs serious revamping. If it takes cancelling the whole thing to get it seriously looked at, i could live with that.

I'm posted to the standard city and i find nothing more irritating than as costs here go up, PLD remains at zero and that some people still get TPLD is another sore spot.

I can't wait for the budget to come down so my posting message can get cut and i can get the F out of here.

dogger1936 said:
So our severance pay upon is no longer after 1 april? Sorry if i'm not following here folks.

Proposal is as of 1st April no more severance for anyone new joining. If you qualify its based on the 1st of April 2012, it doesn't grow after that.
Of course this obviously not official.

Chief Stoker said:
Proposal is as of 1st April no more severance for anyone new joining. If you qualify its based on the 1st of April 2012, it doesn't grow after that.

Thanks brother.

Chief Stoker said:

What is your source for this?  I've heard nothing other than folks (mostly on here) speculating that since the Public Service lost it, we're going to lose it.  That's hardly a credible source.

Pusser said:
What is your source for this?  I've heard nothing other than folks (mostly on here) speculating that since the Public Service lost it, we're going to lose it.  That's hardly a credible source.

PM incoming

Pusser said:

First off, the Public Service did not lose it.  One of three PS unions gave it up......Not all the PS unions.

George Wallace said:
First off, the Public Service did not lose it.  One of three PS unions gave it up......Not all the PS unions.

As did Public Service Executives and at least one other group.  The GoC is working hard to remove that long-term liability from their books, and in the future pay only when someone is terminated, not when they retire.

George Wallace said:

To be clear, PSAC gave it up.  They're the largest - 95,000 of its 172,000 members were affected by the severance pay deal.  There are actually 17 other federal public service unions.

PLD is and always has been a mess.  A windfall for some, a point of contention for others.  Inequality in compensation is always going to be a huge sore point no matter what they ever do with it.  Don't think so?  Just check out the 'double dipping' thread. 
I'd support the gov't dropping it entirely and providing housing as they once did many years ago at a subsidized rate across the country.
I could list off examples of where PLD rates are retarded, but we all know them.  No doubt there are a dozen conspiracy theories as to why one city would get it while another down the road wouldn't, but I suspect the real reason comes down to the over burdensome manner in which it is calculated.

No, housing is not an easy problem to solve, but it is solvable.  DND owns plenty of land already and has been doing construction since before the Rideau Canal. 

PLD is a ridiculously complicated and horribly administered program.  Was it a Liberal invention?????  Time to drop it.

exabedtech said:
PLD is and always has been a mess.  A windfall for some, a point of contention for others.  Inequality in compensation is always going to be a huge sore point no matter what they ever do with it.  Don't think so?  Just check out the 'double dipping' thread. 
I'd support the gov't dropping it entirely and providing housing as they once did many years ago at a subsidized rate across the country.
I could list off examples of where PLD rates are retarded, but we all know them.  No doubt there are a dozen conspiracy theories as to why one city would get it while another down the road wouldn't, but I suspect the real reason comes down to the over burdensome manner in which it is calculated.

No, housing is not an easy problem to solve, but it is solvable.  DND owns plenty of land already and has been doing construction since before the Rideau Canal. 

PLD is a ridiculously complicated and horribly administered program.  Was it a Liberal invention?????  Time to drop it.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!  HARD!

With a few obvious exceptions (i.e. isolated or short term postings), DND should get out of the housing business.  PLD is a much better solution and it has enabled many to get out of PMQs, into the housing market and start to build equity.  It's not perfect, but it is a far sight better than the PMQ dependency we're still living with.  I've seen too many folks retire after 35 years with nothing to show for it, but a box full of pay guides showing how much they paid for their PMQs.  Furthermore, if housing is brought back into the pay and compensation package (a it was when it was subsidized) it also means less pay in our pockets.  I would rather have the money to invest in the house that I plan to own outright by the time I retire.  The solution is to fix PLD and not waste money on housing (money that is better spent on equipment and other infrastructure).

That's a great idea for someone who's been in the CF for a few years and has a tour to pay some debt off, but are you going to tell the new private with 2 kids and some college/university debt that they have to go buy a house with no down payment, but its ok that he will get 9 bucks a month (in Kingston anyway) PLD? PLD was broken as soon as Ottawa was made the baseline. But that's no reason to destroy all the PMQs that some of us choose to live in right now. The CF should provide the option, but I agree it should not be at a subsidized rate, the rates simply should not be calculated as they are now. Military housing does not meet the standards of most rentals available on the market and its pricing should not be compared to the civilian market.

PuckChaser said:
he will get 9 bucks a month (in Kingston anyway) PLD?

9 bucks ? I have been here 3 years, and haven't received a cent of PLD.

k... back on topic now ;)

My question would be,  how will the frozen severance pay be calculated when the time comes to retire. Let's say I choose to retire in 16 years and have about 8 years of severance accumulated.

meni0n said:
My question would be,  how will the frozen severance pay be calculated when the time comes to retire. Let's say I choose to retire in 16 years and have about 8 years of severance accumulated.

For the public service, it went like this:

You could take the severance amount today at your current rate of pay; or

You can wait until you retire, and get the same number of days of pay at your rate of pay on retirement; or

A mix of both.

Ignore the third option for the sake of this discussion.

It means if you take it today, you'd get the number of days calculated for you at your current rank and IPC.  If you wait, you'll get them at your rank and IPC on retirement.

Keep in mind that the money is taxable in your hads, so 30-50% of it will go back to the governmetn (unless you've got unused RRSP room - you should be able to roll it over tax free into RRSPs if you have the room).

Back