• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

THanks for the info guys. We're posting on a compassionate ( though was the last thing we wanted). We tried to get a reg slot this season but due to situation THEY decided compassionate. We're currently Greenwood, NS and financially it is TIGHT here. One income 2 kids. I have a Business degree along with being a chef, no work here for me at all:( Trust me I have tried, have taken on numerous jobs that are fill ins and one day thing just to make ends meet.
Rent here is cheap, we're talking less than $500 for our Q. The oil heat and the hydro is what kills you. Food, gasoline, daily stuff are pretty steep too.
Noticed the rent for Q's in Trenton are quite high ( though nothing compared to out west ), but I know the food is cheaper. Are the utilities cheaper back in ON? I grew up there but we haven't been posted there and haven't lived there in years now. Just hoping it will even out for us and I know my employment issues shouldn't be a problem there.
Am I worrying for nothing?

Just a worried wife lol

lost my PLD because I have rations and quarter, ask the MPSS staff said because there is a Lt Col send a email saying if a member have ration and quarter then PLD have to stop.  :crybaby: :crybaby:

any one knows what to do???? any help will be very appreciated :salute: :salute:

hathway said:
lost my PLD because I have rations and quarter, ask the MPSS staff said because there is a Lt Col send a email saying if a member have ration and quarter then PLD have to stop.  :crybaby: :crybaby:

any one knows what to do???? any help will be very appreciated :salute: :salute:

You might find some helpful information here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34108.0

hathway said:

The removal of PLD in your case is correct.  Those in single quarters have no entitlement to PLD.

From CBI 205.45

205.45(4) (Entitlement – Regular Force) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (19), a member of the Regular Force whose principal residence is located within a PLDA is entitled to the PLD rate for that location established in the Table to this instruction for that area.

principal residence” (résidence principale)
    means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants, and is situated at:

Have a read at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/205-eng.asp#sec-45

hathway said:

Your profile says you're in Kingston... you're upset at the 8 dollars a month you're losing in PLD?

However, if the mbr is attached posted to CFSCE for training, or is on IR he would still be entitled to PLD... The OP needs to provide more information/clarification.

MJP said:
The removal of PLD in your case is correct.  Those in single quarters have no entitlement to PLD.

From CBI 205.45

205.45(4) (Entitlement – Regular Force) Subject to paragraphs (7) to (19), a member of the Regular Force whose principal residence is located within a PLDA is entitled to the PLD rate for that location established in the Table to this instruction for that area.

principal residence” (résidence principale)
    means a dwelling in Canada, other than a summer cottage, other seasonal accommodation or a single quarter that is occupied by the member or their dependants, and is situated at:

Have a read at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/205-eng.asp#sec-45

thank you for your reply at this point i believe the principle of residence is not my temporary single quarter 

“principal residence” (résidence principale)

1. the member’s place of duty, if their household goods and effects are located at that place;

2. the member’s former place of duty, if the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty;

3. the place where the member’s household goods and effects were located on enrolment, if that place is a place of duty and the member is not authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to their place of duty; or

4. any other place of duty, selected place of residence or designated alternate location, if the member is authorized to move their household goods and effects at public expense to that place, except for the purpose of release or transfer to the Reserve Force.

D3 said:
However, if the mbr is attached posted to CFSCE for training, or is on IR he would still be entitled to PLD... The OP needs to provide more information/clarification.

Thank you  :salute:
My PLD took off when I was on my BMQ at St-Jean Montreal , my principal residence was in Toronto, now I am in Kingston 

hathway said:
Thank you  :salute:
My PLD took off when I was on my BMQ at St-Jean Montreal , my principal residence was in Toronto, now I am in Kingston

All other mbr in Kingston has same situation like me posted from other place to Kingston for training still had their PLD not only one or two I mean all of them, get so confused do not know what to do now ??? ???

hathway said:
All other mbr in Kingston has same situation like me posted from other place to Kingston for training still had their PLD not only one or two I mean all of them, get so confused do not know what to do now ??? ???

Are you married/CL?  Do you maintain a residence in Toronto?  Where is your furniture & effects (storage, in Toronto, in Kingston)?  How are you posted (IR, Attached etc).  We need more info or we can't help further.

MJP said:
Are you married/CL?  Do you maintain a residence in Toronto?  Where is your furniture & effects (storage, in Toronto, in Kingston)?  How are you posted (IR, Attached etc).  We need more info or we can't help further.
I am married and have a house in Toronto, I was posted right after my BMQ, and they took my PLD off when I was in my BMQ at St-Jean

hathway said:
I am married and have a house in Toronto, I was posted right after my BMQ, and they took my PLD off when I was in my BMQ at St-Jean

If you enrolled as married (or got married after the fact) and maintained a residence in Toronto that you had when you enrolled then you should still be entitled to PLD. 

If you think you are entitled to PLD, I would go to your orderly room (through crse staff if applicable) and ask to them to process the paperwork.  If they refuse ask why and get them to show you the policy.  Emails are not policy.  Be polite, don't get mad and if you get no joy involve your CoC. 

Thank you, appreciate for your help, I had my PLD for 2years when was in school, I will ask them show me the policy. By the way what is crse staff?

Crse staff = Course Staff.  You must know what Course Staff means if you've been to St Jean and Kingston. 

These is part of the email I got from the MPSS clerk which I think they interpreted wrong 

On 14 Aug 12, a PLD clarification was sent down from DCBA. 

LCol Larouche stated that "after further review it has been confirmed that the intent of CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD for a member who is prohibited posted on enrolment and maintaining a residence in a PLDA is not entitled to PLD if occupying quarters at the place of duty of the Prohibited Posting."

What this means is that because you are in receipt of Separation Expense (Free R & Q and incidentals for the duration of your course) you are not entitled to PLD based on the clarification. 

hathway said:
These is part of the email I got from the MPSS clerk which I think they interpreted wrong 

On 14 Aug 12, a PLD clarification was sent down from DCBA. 

LCol Larouche stated that "after further review it has been confirmed that the intent of CBI 205.45 in regards to PLD for a member who is prohibited posted on enrolment and maintaining a residence in a PLDA is not entitled to PLD if occupying quarters at the place of duty of the Prohibited Posting."

What this means is that because you are in receipt of Separation Expense (Free R & Q and incidentals for the duration of your course) you are not entitled to PLD based on the clarification.

what I understand for prohibited posted is the mbr can not be posted for some reason and occupying quarter at the same time at his principal residence so I am not the same, and the clerk was misunderstanding, I am right or not??????

Prohibited posted means you can't bring your household and family with you. The clarification is pretty clear (hence its a clarification). You are prohibited posted, occupying quarters where you are prohibited posted, therefore are ineligible for PLD where you maintain a residence in a PLD area (Toronto in your case).

PuckChaser said:
Prohibited posted means you can't bring your household and family with you. The clarification is pretty clear (hence its a clarification). You are prohibited posted, occupying quarters where you are prohibited posted, therefore are ineligible for PLD where you maintain a residence in a PLD area (Toronto in your case).

in that case at Kingston we have almost every one ( except me ) have their PLD and same time occupying quarters and rations too ??? ??? ???

Back