• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Except for the fact they're giving back 30M of unspent funds and seem proud of that fact........

They will be spending to the limit that is authorized and not spending other funds that were not authorized.

Who is losing out?
People who reside in RHUs who had been paid PLD, people who's pay level means they don't gain anything with the EI and CFHD... It's not the raw numbers that matter, it's the optics.

When people who make twice what their troops make, tell the troops they should be happy with what they are given, it tends to not be a good look.

I'll take a stab at it; how about "every jnr NCM posted to Esq and Pat Bay" for starters. It's not like the COL was forgiving there before the current rates of inflation. I've heard inflation is 15-19% - this COL increase is less than that. Now add in, they're living in RHUs, because the housing costs out there are crazy.

What is the pay difference for a LS in Esquimalt on 30 Jun and 1 Jul?

I just did some quick mathing, a non-spec PO 1 S04 will go from $7883/m to $8241/m come 1 Jul. A Spec 1 PO 1 will go from $8492/m to $8591/m.

Edit: The above numers are for those not living in RHUs, in RHUs; non-Spec $7691, Spec 1 $8306. I suspect it's the guys in RHUs that make up the loss of $200 a month numbers.

For contrast, a non-spec SO4 PO 1 in Ottawa goes from 7067/m to 7941/m.
Currently PLD in Vic is 810. Now a Cpl will get around 1050, and a PO1 600. Pay increase is below inflation let’s remember.

People who reside in RHUs who had been paid PLD, people who's pay level means they don't gain anything with the EI and CFHD... It's not the raw numbers that matter, it's the optics.

When people who make twice what their troops make, tell the troops they should be happy with what they are given, it tends to not be a good look.

Like GO/FO who negotiate salaries ?

You also left out folks who work in jobs that have few geo locations. And tend to stay put, posting wise, for decades.

Currently PLD in Vic is 810. Now a Cpl will get around 1050, and a PO1 600. Pay increase is below inflation let’s remember.
100%

The people not living in RHUs will come out with a bit more cash, the people living in RHUs will come out with less. Relative to inflation, everybody is coming out behind, but that's been the trend for at least a decade or so.

For those interested in some background on the way the federal government engages in collective bargaining and wage settlements, you can look at this internal review from 2002:

The optics of what? Getting rid of an old policy that unfairly benefited some and that people complained about constantly on this site? Or ensuring access to a benefit where there previously was none for lower ranked members posted to the NCR which saw a massive spike in COL (to use a few examples)?

I'm only asking questions, as I'm genuinely interested in how this effects folks. So far, I've just seen you guys show how some people are getting more money.

The optics of what? Getting rid of an old policy that unfairly benefited some and that people complained about constantly on this site? Or ensuring access to a benefit where there previously was none for lower ranked members posted to the NCR which saw a massive spike in COL?

I'm only asking questions, as I'm genuinely interested in how this affects folks. So far, I've just seen you guys show how some people are getting more money.
And others are getting less. See the PO getting 200 a month less. If he lived in Qs he gets 800 less a month. Same if he was a Cpl living in Qs in Edmonton.

What is the rate of inflation from 2021 to summer 2023?
How much has the general population had, on average, in terms of wage increase between 2021 and 2023? If it’s less than what we’re getting, the only optic that they will have is that we’re whining with our mouth full.

The 7-year limit in a geographical area seems, on the face of it, to be incompatible with the RCN’s whole concept of home-porting. My initial look at what the numbers mean suggests major damage to the hard sea trades, especially on the west coast.

Have we paid for CSC yet? Because we might not be able to crew them.

Back