• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Big guy going for infantry training?

Island Ryhno

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal, I'm going to apply for the Infantry and I have some questions. First I did some reserve infantry work about 6 or 7 years ago (ql2,ql3) so I'm sort of familiar with it. I hear some ppl talk about big guys in here, well I'm 5'10 and 290lbs, now I'm in decent shape, I play hockey and softball and just started weight training again, so I'm not all rubber, I'm just naturally a big guy. Here are my questions. 1) I cant run worth a crap but I can hump whatever weight you'll throw on me for as long as you want, will I fail Biq if I can't run 5k? 2) I have no quit in me so will that help as again my main concern is with the running, I'll run until I fall down and cannot get up. 3) Is it a given that I'm humping the carl g and C6? Any input would help a lot, I love the infantry stuff and really want to make it my career.

Cheers 

:gunner:

You can give some of that weight to me. 6'2 175lbs :( I initially had problems with running as well. What you might want to try is increasing the size of your leg muscles through things like leg presses and whatnot. When the size of your leg muscles isn't a problem, the next problem is just cardio, and after that, it's just mental. Now I run no problems. Anyway, give it some thought. Hauling around your own weight won't build your leg muscles like lifting will.

Good luck with that man.

Thanks, however the leg muscles are not the problem (I can squat about 200lbs right now and press twice that) It's more the cardio, and the mental I'm not worried about at all  ;D. I guess it's just the cardiovascular. I don't want to hold off on the application process until I'm a better runner cause it might take me two years to get in and that is unacceptable to me  >:(

it wont take you two years to get into shape, since i havent seen you,   i can no way give   good accurate advice, however that said, i would go have your bodyfat tested, you may find even though you are in good shaoe for your size, that you could still probably loose 40 lbs, once you find out what your Bodyfat is, then you can build a proper work out regim that includes both weights and Cardio.

Cardio is Best done in the Morning on an Empty stomach or after training with weights,
Nulls advice was good,   if you want to run better have stronger legs,

for your weights, concentrate on form and reps rather then how much you are lifting, you dont need to get any bigger, infact you probably want to get smaller so you can run better. concentrate on the 8-12 rep range, Never exceeding 12 reps and your 12th rep should be fairly hard to get.

anyways, like i said try and get your BF tested and then go from their, their is alot of very informative people out their and alot who are very misinformed about working out, and also make sure you diet is good, that will help with some weight loss and building strength and endurance.

anyways hope this helped!

Cool, thanks guys, anybody who's been a staff member on the Biq or who just recently went through the Biq got any info?

Island Rhyno (good name!),

I'm in a similar boat as you.   I'm just a naturally big guy at 5'10" and 237.   Not in your range of course, but closer than most would get.   Although I do have a bit of a spare tire it doesn't keep me down--it's just my body type.   A few weeks ago I completed my PT test at 240 lbs and I had zero problems and actually did quite well on it.  

The advice you got about making sure you have strong legs is very sound.   I have very strong legs, yet when I go running I find the first thing that gives out are my legs, not my lungs.   Interestingly enough, my legs are also the first that gives out when I'm doing situps.   Last year I started jogging at a slow pace, to increase cardio level.   I had trouble doing even one kilometre.   So for a few weeks I did the jog/walk/jog/walk routine.   Helped tremendously and before long I was running the full 2.4 kms straight.   Shortly after that I was able to do 5 kms.   So practice does improve your abilities and all you need to do is get out there and start off slow.   It will probably be frustrating at first because you might not notice any improvement, but it is happening so try to be patient.   When I first started running to be able to meet the guidelines I was 253 lbs.   It comes off very slowly for our body types, but there definitely will be some shedding going on.   This will only help your cardio (less workload).

One more thing.   Make sure you stretch your calf muscles, hamstrings, and thighs and warm up your ankles before and after every run.

Edit: Forgot to mention... I would advise you to submit your application now.  Even though you might not be ready to complete the PT test, there are other aspects to consider that take a great deal of time--especially considering that you have prior service in the Reserves (think VOS, or verification of former service).  Some aspects of the application process will take a long time, so it's best to get started on them as soon as possible.  Once everything is good to go and you find that the only outstanding item is your PT test, you are in very good shape in your application process.  If you review some of the messages in the recruiting forum you will see that there are often huge wait times.  So apply now!

Don't shun the recommendation to apply now. I had that advice given to me last september, but I thought it would be best if I waited until I was in shape (and had gained about 20 pounds).

Result? - I ended up missing the Summer 2004 basic training, and now am most likely going to do it on the weekends in september, where i will be juggling a full time uni courseload, a part time job, weekend training (with any luck), and a long distance relationshjp (which is probably going to fail because of it  :crybaby:)

You really should apply now.

hmm, from what I've heard isnt it customary to give the person that wants the lmg and or AT rocket the least first pick?

:D

Thanks guys (especially the cool name bit  ;D) I guess I will go drop off that app, seems that the forces haven't changed too much and grit will get you as far as you want it to take you. I've got a secondary inspiration that maybe some of you would like to hear. Cpl Jamie Murphy and I grew up together; from Kindergarden to the day he died we remained best friends, I'm the reason he joined the forces in the first place (well sort of, I'm not taking credit for the mans choice) I joined the reserves in high school and my friends, Jamie included thought it was about the coolest thing ever, so off he went and another of my friends to join. (The other friend is a Res Eng Mcpl still) I figure that he made the ultimate sacrifice, so I'll have him in the back of my mind ever time it gets  tough. Hopefully someday soon, I'll get the privilege of
PRO PATRIA. Thanks guys

hey whatever happens good luck with it... keep the determination going.

i know that is one thing i need to keep up (i HATE running distances)

but, i think we can all draw off some extra determination just talking on these boards.

Hey Island Ryno, goot to hear from another big guy thinking about the infantry.

I am 5'11'' and 250.  I lifted weights, then packed on some extra fat over the last few years.  I would like to think I would carry it well, but...

When I did Ql2/QL3 back in 1990, I was only 180 and I found cardio to still be the most difficult.  Remember A to C?  Well, A to C almost killed me on my infantry course.  I would hate to think how I'd do now.

My best advice to you and what really helped me slim down last year was to cut out all carbs for about 3 months.  During this time you will find cardio more difficult but for our style body, nothing makes you drop fat and excess water quicker than a totally low carb approach.  It will also drop your cholestorol, triglycerides and blood pressure.  In fact, you may find out that the reason you are as big as you are is that you may be addicted to carbs.

Go read Atkins, start tomorrow, the first week is hard, after that, the weight will slide off like nothing else.  I dropped 14 pounds in eight days once.  And that was eating steak, caesar salad, cheese, bacon and diet pop whenever I felt like it.

Drop me an email if you wanna talk strategies.  I am a big guy and will one day get back in.  Can't get it out of my system.

Cheers,

Ted

Island Rhyno, on my QL3 there was a Highlander there who was 5'7", 285 lbs, he was SQUARE. He had trouble on the runs but I attributed it to his lack of preparation, he did not train prior to the course. But once in the field doing advance to contact or sectionattacks this guy could throw the C6 5o yds and kill the Fantasians with that.

Lungs, lungs, lungs. In my job we do not have anyone over 215lbs. because cardio is so important to us, we want strong guys, but the guy who can bench press the firetruck will have a harder time running with a small hosepack if he's not conditioned.

Just thoughts

Cheers

Just my 2 cents worth.
Yeah, being big is tough. I'm 6'4" 245 pounds.
Some good tips given already but you are going to find out what works best for you.   Exercise and diet are two components of a balanced fitness program. I find the diet companant the hardest as my body changes its demands depending on my exercise activities.
Have a varied cardio routine. Running for 5 k and 10 K is great but don't forget about short distance speed runs. Try running a fast as you can once and awhile and build up to a quick 2.5 K.
Just remember to take care of your knees. I hate running on pavement so I prefer training on trails and such. Having good running shoes is a big help. Those 2 year old runners aren't going to cut it.
Hike. I find that nothing sheds the pounds better than hitting the mountains.
Strength training. Yeah, it's great to be big and strong but it is easy to forget to work on endurance work. The army will always love giving push ups. Working with weights, I prefer strength training for 3 sets of 12, 10, 8 reps. With the occasional blast of 5 reps. Of course, upping the weight as I go. For endurance, up it to 20, 16, 12 reps. Always stretch before, during, and after your workouts. Attack each muscle group from a least three different angles.   Change your routine every couple of months to keep it interesting. Changing tempo, exercises, and intensity are some ways. Set goals and document your progress.
Good luck

www.bodyforlife.com

I followed the principals and lost 30 pounds of fat in just under 3 months.

I now run like the wind ;)

In terms of body size. Lean is mean. Big guys are great and all but even muscle is hard to haul around when you are always on the move. Every extra pound that is not helping you move is dead weight. Muscle can fall in this category. I know a few JTF types (we all live on the same base) and they all have the same body type. Lean. None of them have the muscle bound look to them.

Train for endurance not size. Higher reps and lower weight. Go on a treadmill and run/walk. Use a heart monitor to keep your heartrate in the proper range. I alternate my runs. One is to fast run on a treadmill to train cardio and the other is a longer run outside for fat loss and endurance. I run 4 days a week and lift weights 3 days.

I am 5'10". In Jan I was 260 pounds. I now weigh 215 and am shooting for 190. The funny thing is that I look even bigger than I used to.
Before I could barely pass the PT test. I just ran an exemption...which means I am in good enough shape that I can skip doing the test next year.

My brother is a tactical officer with a police force. He did push-ups on a scale to see how much weight he had to move. He then put that weight plus a few pounds more on a barbell and started doing reps with it. He now does sets of 100 push-ups with his body weight. To me that is more impressive than doing 400 lbs for a couple reps.

When it comes to training you have to think about what your body is going to be doing. In the infantry I did I lot of humping with a ruck on my back. Then we would run a little bit, or do  A to C. Then we would hump with a ruck again. And we would keep this up for days at a time. Lots of go, go, go and just a little sleep. To me it would seem that the less you weigh, the less work you have to do. A 175 pound man does the same work as a 250 pound man with a lot less effort.

I always used to train for size and strength. Now I train for endurance and cardio. Lean is mean.

Thanks everybody for replying! Mr Ted, I just might do that (drop you a line) I'm a lot like yourself, just can't get it out of the system. Here's a generic email for anybody who would like to send something along. ryhno_d@yahoo.ca. Cheers, maybe I'll see you all on base someday in the near future, remember if you hear the nickname RYHNO it's probably me!  :warstory:

Island Ryhno said:
Cool, thanks guys, anybody who's been a staff member on the Biq or who just recently went through the Biq got any info?

All we did on my biq (3 weeks ago!) was run. Run run run fast paced death runs, every bloody day.  So if you cant run now, you'll be able to run when the course is done!

On a side note, because of all that running half our course had to visit the MIR, and I'm still dealing with some foot and leg problems a month after the fact.  So dont overdo it!  :warstory:

Hey Casing, no I actually haven't yet, I know that here in Newfoundland the process goes pretty quickly, as in the book you for a physical like within a month, and I'm just not ready for that yet. I guess because we have a small population that the recruiting office isn't backlogged with applications, so I'm going to wait until around Christmas time and then drop it off, I should be ready by then. :salute:

good job ryhno im a preety big guy to im 5'11 an 230lbs an im only 18 lol... im natrully a big boy tho so its all good. the thing is im not the best runner either. im putting my app in tommorow an im just gunna push myself to do the 6 laps round the track... but i home i see u in basic

P.S. id be proud to have a few beer with u man :salute:

:salute:
work on building up your leg muscles and working on cardiovascular................i am 6'2"  270 pounds...............drive and deasire will get you a long way :cdn:

Back