• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ for July 2011

I'm a little concerned about the arriving thing, because their system doesn't seem to make a ton of sense...  The flight I'm on will be arriving too late to take the mid-afternoon shuttle, so I will wait four hours for the 2000 shuttle, but the instructions specifically say to report to the base NLT 2000?  Oh well.  If there is a 2000 shuttle, they must expect people to arrive later.

Awesome to see you will be coming too, NavyHopeful!  I'm excited to see another NWT (or NET, whatever they want to call it now...) on the BMQ course!  It will definitely be nice to be among some people with similar aspirations and whatnot.  As posted above, we have a FB page so kindly set up by Stacked for all to come and do the "getting to know you" thing beforehand.

And if you guys get there and there is no shuttle, call a cab.  That's why they recommend bringing about $150 - $200 with you.  Keep your cab receipt and they WILL reimburse you.  It says so in the handbook.

@navyhopefull

congrats on the new child comming, guess i wont be the only one having a child during BMQ.  my wifes due july 18th

Congrats on all wo got selected.

I will be attending basic in St.Jean on July 4th (reporting July 2nd) Looking forward to meeting you all.
Anyone have any tips on quitting smoking :p Tried everything, as as well as I can run, I know if can quit before Basic, fitness will be a breeze.
Anyone else get accepted for a Crewman Position?

Steve Wollen

Nice to see this thread. I'll probably be the oldest recruit starting July 4th. Absolutely pumped and ready to go. Cape Bretoner...Naval Communicator trade. Looking forward to working my ass off with you boys and girls!

S_Wollen88 said:
Congrats on all wo got selected.

I will be attending basic in St.Jean on July 4th (reporting July 2nd) Looking forward to meeting you all.
Anyone have any tips on quitting smoking :p Tried everything, as as well as I can run, I know if can quit before Basic, fitness will be a breeze.
Anyone else get accepted for a Crewman Position?

Steve Wollen

If you're anything like my platoon, you'll start smoking again on course.  No one quit smoking, but those who quit prior too started again, and those who didn't smoke before, started. 

Well guys, it's official!!!

Got my call today!!!

I swear in for Weapons Engineering Technician on June 3rd in Ottawa.  The official swearing me in is none other than the CHIEF OF THE DEFENSE STAFF HIMSELF!!!  I am SO super stoked about this!!!  According to my recruiter, he hardly ever attends swearing in ceremonies, and that the fact that he is participating in one is very rare.

I look forward to seeing everyone there.  And I would like to know the age of the oldest recruit in our platoon...

Cheers all.

Chris "Rev" Richards
AKA:  NavyHopeful
Hometown:  L'Ile-Du-Grand-Calumet, Quebec
(and no I'm not fluently bilingual, I grew up near Toronto)

Stacked said:
Hahaha, I am surprised there is time to smoke!

You do more waiting around than you expect. 

Marching NCO: "Platoon.  Meet in the blue break area after lunch.  How does 1230 sound? Good"
Course Senior: "Alright guys.  Meet in the blue break area for 1215"

1215 rolls around.

Course Senior: "Is everyone here?"
Platoon: "Yes Course Senior"

1245 passes and you're still sitting in the Blue Break Area.

Marching NCO: "Sit tight.  Folks.  Smoke em if you got em."

5 smokes and 30 minutes later...

Marching NCO: "Alright class is about to start.  Get in the room and count it off."

S_Wollen88 said:

I've heard great things about Allen Carr's book 'Easy Way To Stop Smoking'. Check out his site http://www.allencarr.com.

Congrats and best of luck !

Silverfire said:
If you're anything like my platoon, you'll start smoking again on course.  No one quit smoking, but those who quit prior too started again, and those who didn't smoke before, started.

That was my impression after reading The Maple Leaf a few months ago. That issue listed some stats on smoking in the CF. If I remember correctly, it stated that 23% of all smokers in the CF, started smoking after joining the CF. That would explain the big push to quit smoking in the subsequent issues.

Admittedly, it is an issue for me, a staunch non-smoker, and influencing my decision to join the CF and which trade I sign up for, should I decide to join.

GreenIsGood said:
Admittedly, it is an issue for me, a staunch non-smoker, and influencing my decision to join the CF and which trade I sign up for, should I decide to join.

People make a concious, personal decision to smoke. This has nothing to do with being in the CF or what trade you are in. The CF will not cause you to start smoking, only you can do that.

CDN Aviator said:
People make a concious, personal decision to smoke. This has nothing to do with being in the CF or what trade you are in. The CF will not cause you to start smoking, only you can do that.

I realize that.

The issue for me is about working and training in a smoking environment, which I'm not used to doing. Of course, that will certainly happen if I get deployed to an area of the world that isn't as ant-smoking as Canada is. Because of that, I now have to ask myself if it's important enough of an issue to warrant choosing a trade where I'm most likely to work in a non-smoking environment, as I'm used to doing.

And yes, I do realize that during a combat operation, second-hand smoke isn't the biggest threat against me.  ;D

GreenIsGood said:
I realize that.

The issue for me is about working and training in a smoking environment, which I'm not used to doing. Of course, that will certainly happen if I get deployed to an area of the world that isn't as ant-smoking as Canada is. Because of that, I now have to ask myself if it's important enough of an issue to warrant choosing a trade where I'm most likely to work in a non-smoking environment, as I'm used to doing.

And yes, I do realize that during a combat operation, second-hand smoke isn't the biggest threat against me.  ;D

If it makes you feel any better, the entire time I was at CFLRS, the only time I was exposed to second hand smoke was when I consciously chose to be there.  You can stay on your floor all night or you can go down to the BBQ Pit.  No one is forcing you.  I'm a non smoker as well, I didn't find other members smoking to be a distraction whatsoever.

GreenIsGood said:

Other people smoking is hardly an important enough issue to weigh against your decision to join the CF, or any specific trade.

People do what they will- you just need to learn & exercise self-control.

Besides, this is Canada- smokers usually go to the designated smoking area, and you can sit there and tempt yourself or not.

Really, this is a nonissue.  I mean, I could understand if you were a chainsmoker for years and are worried about being surrounded by your addiction, but even in that case I think it just requires more strength of will, which is something that will benefit you in the long run anyways.

The Allen Carr book does actually work.  I used it about eight years ago and it helped me see why I was smoking and that I had the power to stop.  Check out the book if you can, borrow it from a friend, or go to your local bookstore and buy a copy.  It will pay for itself after the 5th chapter.

Another motivation to quit smoking:

I used to smoke when I was in high school and during my football seasons (used to play for school and in a summer league).  When I quit smoking, I doubled the amount of exercises my body let me do.  While I was smoking, I could handle about 25 pushups and 15 sit ups, MAX. About a month after quitting smoking, my energy came back, my appetite came back, and my metabolism skyrocketed.  Unfortunatly, at the time, I was unemployed and just finished college for an office-type job, so I never really had the chance to hit the gym the way I used to.  Only in the last few months have I ramped it up.  I started P90X in January and lost about 25 lbs.  I can now do about 30 pushups and 25 situps (bearing in mind I've been dormant for about the last 8 years or so).  I play dodgeball once a week with friends for about an hour and a half, and most of them can't keep up with me.  My strength is coming back with a force.  My speed is working it's way back.  I am aiming to not be the slowest guy in the platoon.  And my goals that I have set myself are so high, that even if I fail (in my mind) I'll still pass the CF Expres test.

My point is this:  In my case, smoking was really just a mental thing.  You'd be surprised how strong the human mind really is.  If you really, really want to quit smoking... give yourself a reason to quit, and stick to it.  The ultimate reason that I quit smoking eight years ago, and why I'm trying to lose as much weight as I can (whether it's before or during BMQ, I don't care) is so that when my wife and I have kids (first one is due in July!!!) I can not only be able to pick them up, but I can run around and play with them without needing an oxygen tank.  I don't want my son to be ashamed of his dad.  And whether or not I pass or fail BMQ, as long as I give 110% on everything (weight loss, resisting cigarettes, etc.) I'll always be a success.

Good luck with quitting smoking, and do not let it be the thing that prevents you from applying to the forces.  If I had used me over-weightedness as an excuse that they wouldn't consider me, I never would have applied.  Now, I swear in in June, off to BMQ in July, I've lost 25 pounds, and there's still alot left in me to give.  Just take it one day at a time, and tell yourself that there IS a better way, and that you CAN do it.  Stick with it, it'll work out.

Good luck.

Rev

NavyHopeful this post was really helpful and I share your point of view. Have a good nigh!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting.  I'm attending BMQ on July 4th, swearing in at Halifax on June 7th.  I'm going as a Sonar Op.  I originally applied in August 26, 2009, and because of a mild health problem I needed to get resolved I have been trying to get in ever since.
I'm a 28 year old male, and I am looking forward to meeting and struggling with everyone at BMQ.

GreenIsGood said:
The issue for me is about working and training in a smoking environment, which I'm not used to doing.

Who said the CF were a "smoking environment" ?

Canadian laws WRT smoking are the same for CF members.

Because of that, I now have to ask myself if it's important enough of an issue to warrant choosing a trade where I'm most likely to work in a non-smoking environment, as I'm used to doing.

I know that what i say will fall on deaf ears and you will likely just ignore me but you cannot imagine the impossible decisions that await you if this is a big issue for you.

Stacked said:
Just saw your post on Facebook actually.

I'll follow suit here with you...

Myles Dyble, (Pronounced "Die-Bull")
From: Victoria, British Columbia.  (Living in Kingston, ON)
Sonar Operator

I'm sure you won't be the oldest guy in the platoon, so don't worry about that.

But I may be the youngest! :p.
Richard Russell,
Age 18
From: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, living in Petawawa until basic starts.
Air weapons system tech

Figured ill be the youngest too. gunna be a good time, rough time but a good 1

Back