• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]

Refs: A.  QR&O 15.09
B.  A-AD-200-000/AG-000 The Honours, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces
C.  A-AD-121-000/AB-001 The Canadian Style, ISBN 1-55002-276-8-93-8    http://www.translationbureau.gc.ca/index.php?lang=english&cont=791
     (Ref C is the publication which was put out originally by the Secretary of State, but the Revised and Expanded version was put out by the Translation Bureau of the Cdn
      Govt stating proper protocols for all manners of official writing.  With the demise of the CF Military Writing Manual, the Canadian Style manual was adopted as a   
      guide.)   

Ref B lists the honours and awards that are allowed to be inserted after a name as a Post Nominal. There is no Post Nominal for CDS Commendation or Mentioned in Despatches.  The letters are not abbreviated, i.e. you do not put V.C. or C.D. only VC or CD.  You do not put CD1 or CD2.  Steve031 is correct in saying that the use of branch, corps etc is no longer used and is not authorized.  If you are retired and use your rank, the only authorized post nominal to be used is "Retired" or the abbreviation "Ret'd as stated in Refs A and B.  Also note that you must have served at least 10 years to be able to use the title Retired after your name.  Refs B (Chap 11 para 18) and C (article 1.08) allow academic titles to be used. Ref C allows for degrees, professional designations and memberships and states "Unless all honours have to be indicated for information or protocol purposes, no more than two abbreviations need follow a persons name- as, for example, in correspondence.  Select the two Highest honours of different types and list them in the following order of precedence: first, distinctions conferred directly by the Crown (VC, CD, QC, etc.); second, university degrees (MA, BCom, etc.); and third, letters denoting membership in societies and other distinctions (PEng, CA, CHRP, etc.).  Note that no periods are used."

Aerobicrunner said:
Refs: A.  QR&O 15.09
B.  A-AD-200-000/AG-000 The Honours, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces

Ref B lists the honours and awards that are allowed to be inserted after a name as a Post Nominal. There is no Post Nominal for CDS Commendation or Mentioned in Despatches.  The letters are not abbreviated, i.e. you do not put V.C. or C.D. only VC or CD. 

Chap 2, Annex A, Appendix 1 of the Ref B above says it is a "(Reprint of Order in Council PC 1998-591 of 2 April 1998 (Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, 1998))".  It shows the postnominals without periods.

The following is from Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, 1998    P.C. 1998-591 2 April, 1998

1. The sequence for wearing the insignia of Canadian orders, decorations and medals, and the post-nominal letters associated with the orders, decorations and medals, are the following:

Victoria Cross (V.C.)
Cross of Valour (C.V.)

NATIONAL ORDERS

Companion of the Order of Canada (C.C.)
Officer of the Order of Canada (O.C.)
Member of the Order of Canada (C.M.)
Commander of the Order of Military Merit (C.M.M.)
Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.)
Officer of the Order of Military Merit (O.M.M.)
Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order (L.V.O.)
Member of the Order of Military Merit (M.M.M.)
Member of the Royal Victorian Order (M.V.O.)
The Most Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem (all grades) (post-nominal letters only for internal use by the Order of St. John)

PROVINCIAL ORDERS

Ordre national du Québec (G.O.Q., O.Q., C.Q.)
The Saskatchewan Order of Merit (S.O.M.)
The Order of Ontario (O.Ont.)
The Order of British Columbia (O.B.C.)
The Alberta Order of Excellence (A.O.E.)
The Order of Prince Edward Island (O.P.E.I.)

DECORATIONS

Star of Military Valour (S.M.V.)
Star of Courage (S.C.)
Meritorious Service Cross (M.S.C.)
Medal of Military Valour (M.M.V.)
Medal of Bravery (M.B.)
Meritorious Service Medal (M.S.M.)
Royal Victorian Medal (R.V.M.)

Canadian Forces Decoration (C.D.)

Ontario Medal for Good Citizenship (O.M.C.)
Saskatchewan Volunteer Medal (S.V.M.)

Note the periods in the postnominals.  The CF manual is incorrect.

Thanks for that observation and link BA1916.  The CF manual has been trumped.  I will see if I can bring this up with the Directorate of History and Heritage to have them make amendments to the manual.  I also decided to send an email to the Translation Bureau, the organization reponsible for publishing The Canadian Style to see if they can correct their information bank and reflect the changes in their next manual.
Note to Add:  Already received a stock reply from Translation Bureau stating that my comments will be considered in due time.

Just when one thinks that they have found the smoking gun, an explanation appears.  I guess that current federal laws and regulations don't follow current Canadian style or perhaps the CF sets its own style.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-12_e.asp
CFAO 18-12 -- ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS -PRECEDENCE

1.    The protocol for wearing the insignia of Canadian orders, decorations, and medals, separately or together with Commonwealth or foreign individual honours, is governed by the directive reprinted in Annex A.

4.    Authorized Post-nominal Letters for use in correspondence and documentation are indicated in Annex A inside brackets. Post-nominal Letters are customarily only designated for Canadian and Commonwealth Orders and Decorations.

5.    The use or omission of periods between post-nominal letters is a matter of grammatical style. Modern Canadian style is to omit the periods, which are included in Annex A only for the purpose of accurate transcription

MG34 said:
Everything goes before the CD even that idiotic CPSM.The CD is the lowest ranked decoration and it should be it is a gimmie medal like the Jubilee medals and 125 medal more wasted money so the PONTIs(Person of no tactical importance) could have gongs as well.

- In days of yore, it was very rare to get a CD in only 12 years.  Remember that before 2/3s of Vol 2 was re-written in the mid 90s, the opening sentence for the chapter on the laying of charges was "A charge is layed when there are reasonable grounds to suspect an offence has been commited."

Not "could be layed", not "might be layed", not "if the social worker says it's okay"...

No gnashing of teeth, calling the AJAG-cum-Padre, no having to prove a guy guilty before you have to prove him guilty, just lay the charge and hope he folds up like a cheap suitcase when he goes in front of The Old Man.

EVERYBODY had something on their conduct sheet.  Almost all of them for a charge during basic, then charges for drunkeness on the Regimental Birthday, then for two weeks AWOL during hunting season, then of course no one EVER got through CB without being charged at least one more for railroad tracks on the workdress trousers on the 2300 hours show parade on the parade square (by flashlight).

So we had a whole generation of long-service NCOs with delayed CDs because of their charges and "piss-can time".

And a fine bunch of NCOs they were, too.  Best in the world.

Tom

As it relates to the common practise of denigrating the Canadian Forces Decoration, I'll direct those who may be interested to a story that I told on another thread.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47050/post-409156.html#msg409156

TCBF said:
- In days of yore, it was very rare to get a CD in only 12 years.  Remember that before 2/3s of Vol 2 was re-written in the mid 90s, the opening sentence for the chapter on the laying of charges was "A charge is layed when there are reasonable grounds to suspect an offence has been commited."

Not "could be layed", not "might be layed", not "if the social worker says it's okay"...

No gnashing of teeth, calling the AJAG-cum-Padre, no having to prove a guy guilty before you have to prove him guilty, just lay the charge and hope he folds up like a cheap suitcase when he goes in front of The Old Man.

EVERYBODY had something on their conduct sheet.  Almost all of them for a charge during basic, then charges for drunkeness on the Regimental Birthday, then for two weeks AWOL during hunting season, then of course no one EVER got through CB without being charged at least one more for railroad tracks on the workdress trousers on the 2300 hours show parade on the parade square (by flashlight).

So we had a whole generation of long-service NCOs with delayed CDs because of their charges and "piss-can time".

And a fine bunch of NCOs they were, too.  Best in the world.

Tom

I seem to recall recorded warnings being handed out like candy a few years ago.

Has any heard of someone putting their post-nominals on their drivers license? Ive heard of doctors doing this but would it be laughed at if someone in the military did this?

I know that this topic is getting a little off the mark now, with all of this talk about CDs and such, but I thought: "what the hell. Throw my 2 cents in too". I had not read the thread that Blackadder had posted, and I admit that I had never thought of my CD in quite that way. Having only recently recieved my first bar to my CD, I (even as recently as a couple of months ago) have referred to it as 22 years of (not undetected, but rather) un PROVEN crime. That story certainly puts a different perspective on it. I like it. On another note however, I also happen to have my "Germany Beer Drinking Medal", and, to my ever-lasting shame, the 125 and QGJM. Truth be told, I never wore my 125 medal for the longest time. I just didn't right wearing it. It "should" have gone to EVERY member of the CF who was serving their country during it's 125th anniversary. It was a commemorative medal afterall! The same held true for the QGJM. As with the British, EVERY CF Member "should" have recieved that Medal in recongition of their service during the Quenn's golden jubilee. The only reason I actually went out and got them court-mounted and started wearing them was that a keen-eyed MWO.... who will remain nameless (you know who you are....Mike)....happened to notice them listed on my MPRR and asked me on following 1A Parade where they were....It still kind of irks me a bit, buit at least I have something to show that I was serving during those "milestone years"....

That post by Blackadder IS thought provoking, isn't it?

I'm glad he posted it - I think about it every time I look at the (previously) least valued item on my "rack".

Yes that was a great post Blackadder. the last time I got a bar to the CD I asked the presenter what he was going to say. He looked rather surprised and asked me why I was asking. I said because if you're going to make lame remarks about so many years of undetected crime you might as well save us the embarrassement and just give it to me in his office. He looked surprised and said "so what do you want me to say seeing as you have such a strong opinion about it." I said how about "this is an honour that is proudly worn to indicate another 10 years of dedicated service to Queen and country." That's exactly what he said too and predicated it with the story about me asking him not to refer to it as a medal for simply putting in time.
(I wear it proudly next to my "I went to Cyprus and gained 10 pounds at Meseh dinners" medal and my "The CF got a Nobel Peace Prize so I got this one to commemorate it" medal.)

Blackadder1916 said:
Just when one thinks that they have found the smoking gun, an explanation appears.  I guess that current federal laws and regulations don't follow current Canadian style or perhaps the CF sets its own style.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-12_e.asp

I have just received the following email from the Linguisitcs Advisor of the Translation Bureau of Public Works and Government Services regarding my query on Post Nominals.  However, it may be a mute point in view of Black Adder's research.  However they did agree to meet the QR&O article on the proper abbreviation of Retired.

"We will consider your comments and references on post nominals whenever the time comes to update The Canadian Style. It seems, for the moment, to be a matter of in-house style preference. The best we can offer for now is to choose a style and use it consistently.

As for the word "Retired," we can have the online version of The Canadian Style changed to reflect article 15.09 of the Queens Regulations and Orders. Thank you for pointing this out."

Hello

I'm trying to find out what being on Initial Counselling does to your eligibility to receive your CD.  Does it bump it back a certain period of time or completely negate you receiving it?

Thanks.

Can't find a more recent edition of CFP 200, but the 2003 edition I have states:

13. A member who is on probation or on report
because of inefficiency (see Canadian Forces
Administrative Order (CFAO) 26-17, Recorded
Warning and Counselling on Probation - Other Ranks
and CFAO 26-21, Career Shortcomings - Officers)
shall not be recommended for the CD or a clasp until
his probationary or report period has been terminated
and he has been satisfactorily reported on. If he
should become or is about to be the subject of an
adverse report subsequent to being recommended
but prior to being invested with the CD or clasp, the
case shall be referred to NDHQ.

An IC will definitely not result in a mbr never getting their CD.  WRT to forefeited time towards, etc, I uhhhh...have a buddy who was on an IC a few years ago and it didn't change his 1st clasp eligibility date at all. 

dapaterson said:
Can't find a more recent edition of CFP 200, but the 2003 edition I have states:

Sadly, it has been replaced with:

6A. Honours to individuals have been deleted
from this manual and will be the subject of a separate
publication to be issued later by the Directorate
Honours and Recognition.

And the cited CFAO has been cancelled.

Granted, I can find no specific reference stating the CD should be awarded at all, so I should clearly call it a night.

An IC is a remedial measure

The cited CFAO has been replaced by DAOD 5019-4, Remedial Measures.  An IC is the equivalent of the old VW.  I don't believe any remedial measures result in deferred time for your CD, as they aren't disciplinary actions resulting in an entry on your conduct sheet.  As for the references...maybe tomorrow?

Shamrock said:
Sadly, it has been replaced with:

And the cited CFAO has been cancelled.

Granted, I can find no specific reference stating the CD should be awarded at all, so I should clearly call it a night.

An IC is a remedial measure

Ref A. QR&O 18.27 - Forfeiture of Medals - http://admfincs.mil.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch018_e.asp#18.01
B. DH&R CD Site -  http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=CD
C.  Adm Process for CD - http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/DHRIM/mhrrp/Ch18/engraph/ch18_e.pdf
D.  McCreery, Christopher. The Canadian Forces Decoration. Directorate of Honours and Recognition. Publication DGM-10-04-0007
E.  DAOD 5019 - Remedial Measures

DH&R publishes all the Honours and Awards at ref B (intranet only and much easier than amending publications) and it states time required for eligibility.  Note the bit about post nominals i.e. CD not CD1 or CD2.  Ref C  reinforces the eligibility time and the administrative processes involved in forfeiture of time. Ref A indicates conditions to forfeit medals.  Ref D is the publication that was commissioned by DH&R to commemorate the 60th year of the CD.  Appendix 4 in the book indicates the current Regulations and eligibility for the Establishment of the Canadian Forces Decoration with Order in Council PC 1981-2310 19 Aug 81.

Ref E are Remedial Measures (RM) and are administrative in nature, not disciplinary, so one would not forfeit time as a result of being placed on C&P, as reiterated at ref C above.

Found it (edit: apparently, well after aerobicrunner had, so I should just call it a night):

APM-245 chapter 18 (viewable at http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/DHRIM/mhrrp/Ch18/engraph/ch18_e.pdf)

7.0 Current Non-Creditable Service Days (CNCSD)

The number of CNCSD is the cumulated sum of service days that the member cannot count as qualifying time for the CD. Non-creditable service days shall include days described in the sections below entitled “Forfeiture” and “Non-Creditable Service”. Total CNCSD are added to the CD Base Date to calculate the eligibility date.

9.0  Forfeiture

9.1  Every day of forfeiture shall be added to the member’s CNCSD.

9.2  One day’s forfeiture shall be imposed IAW QR&Os 208.30 and 208.31 for each day the member is:
  a. Absent Without Leave (AWOL) when the member has been found guilty of being absent without authority;
  b. absent as a deserter when the member has been found guilty of desertion;
  c. undergoing a punishment of imprisonment or detention imposed by a service or civil tribunal;
  d. in civil custody, while not on leave with pay and allowances and awaiting trial by a civil tribunal if the civil tribunal subsequently finds the member guilty of an offence;
  e. in hospital awaiting trial by a service or civil tribunal if:
    (1) the tribunal subsequently finds the member guilty of an offence;
    (2) in the opinion of the medical offr attending the member, the period of hospitalization is a direct result of the commission of the offence for which the member was convicted; and
    (3) the offr commanding the command or formation concurs with the opinion of the medical offr; and
  f. deemed to have rendered no military service for any other period not previously described.

9.  3 In addition to any forfeiture imposed above, the member shall forfeit one calendar year (365 days) of qualifying service for each 12-month period in which a punishment, other than a fine or minor punishment, is awarded by a service tribunal.

10.0 Non-Creditable Service

10.1 Every day of non-creditable service shall be added to the member’s CNCSD.
10.2 One day of non-creditable service shall accrue for each day:
  a. the Reg F member is:
    (1) absent on Leave Without Pay (LWOP), except for maternity or parental purposes; and
    (2) on imposed Limitation Of Payments (LOP) IAW QR&O 203.20; and
  b. the Res F member is:
    (1) on authorized Exempt Duty and Training (ED&T), except for maternity or parental purposes;
    (2) declared Non-Effective Strength (NES);
    (3) on annuitant break IAW CF Mil Pers Instr 20/04; and/or
    (4) on the Supp Res list.

Back