• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]

recceguy said:
What? Now you have to wait more than three years after qualifying to get one?

Dammit - I'm just coming up on 2 years post-qualification. 

How does one manage to run out of CDs though?  It's not like they (the system) don't know when people become qualified for it, and you don't need multiple copies (or different sizes).

Dimsum said:
Dammit - I'm just coming up on 2 years post-qualification. 

How does one manage to run out of CDs though?  It's not like they (the system) don't know when people become qualified for it, and you don't need multiple copies (or different sizes).

The thought came to mind that perhaps that may be how they funded a small quantity of Jubilee medals......  >:D  .......Robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

George Wallace said:
The thought came to mind that perhaps that may be how they funded a small quantity of Jubilee medals......  >:D  .......Robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

Its the Supply Chain in Action! :facepalm:

It would be interesting to know where the issue is. Demand for the CD should be fairly easy to determine (Max Number of recipients + a fudge Factor) so It would seem that the issue is either on the manufacturer's side, or our own supply system.

Budget cuts?

Since not everyone wears their medals at the same time, you will now have to share them. Each unit will be responsible to schedule who gets the medal on which day.

Also look for the upcoming CANFORGEN covering sharing of boots and underware.

That would work in theory but each CD is engraved with the members name and rank though......

It's also part of the new security policy. Anyone who shows up in full kit is obviously a Walt.

armourmike said:
Its the Supply Chain in Action! :facepalm:

It would be interesting to know where the issue is. Demand for the CD should be fairly easy to determine (Max Number of recipients + a fudge Factor) so It would seem that the issue is either on the manufacturer's side, or our own supply system.

Or the responsible office never ordered in time.  The supply system for all its weaknesses at the end of the can only order what it is asked to order.  Sup techs don't just write up purchase reqs and LPO doesn't go out and enter into contracts without direction (SOW, SOR, 2227) and permission (Sec 32) from the end users.  I don't know what the issue is but there are a lot of cogs including the CFSS that can delay or hinder a desired item from reaching its intended audience in a timely manner.  Often it is the end user's lack of knowledge of how low and mid level procurement works and the timelines involved.  That the end user doesn't know is a failure of Supply organizations everywhere in giving guidance to their supported unit(s), although in some cases you just can't get through to everyone.

Its been all over the news lately that there is a chocolate shortage anticipated so it could be they are trying to source a suitable alterantive filling before they mint more.  Hey, thats an idea...mint filling.

NFLD Sapper said:
That would work in theory but each CD is engraved with the members name and rank though......
I know just engrave the rank then they can be shuffled with in that rank.

my72jeep said:
I know just engrave the rank then they can be shuffled with in that rank.

That would solve the problem of freezing Promotions at the twelve year mark.

MJP said:
Or the responsible office never ordered in time.  The supply system for all its weaknesses at the end of the can only order what it is asked to order.  Sup techs don't just write up purchase reqs and LPO doesn't go out and enter into contracts without direction (SOW, SOR, 2227) and permission (Sec 32) from the end users.  I don't know what the issue is but there are a lot of cogs including the CFSS that can delay or hinder a desired item from reaching its intended audience in a timely manner.  Often it is the end user's lack of knowledge of how low and mid level procurement works and the timelines involved.  That the end user doesn't know is a failure of Supply organizations everywhere in giving guidance to their supported unit(s), although in some cases you just can't get through to everyone.

The end user should only have to request and approve an effect.  The rest should be transparent.  Just like a unit requesting air support request an effect (I want to move X pers and Y pallets from A to B on this date), they don't know (and rightfully shouldn't have to) all the steps involved in the background that make it happen.

This CD issue is one that really puzzle me.  At worst, there is a 10-year heads up on the next medal yet, they are handed out 2-3 years later than they shoukd....

SupersonicMax said:
This CD issue is one that really puzzle me.  At worst, there is a 10-year heads up on the next medal yet, they are handed out 2-3 years later than they shoukd....

Actually, no.  Not everyone will go to the twelve year mark.  Many leave the CAF between three and eight year marks.  Having a medal stamped ten years in advance and then having to remove engraving or completely reproduce medal is an even bigger waste.  I would think that at the most, they would have a maximum of two year lead time on the production of a CD for presentation.  After a person has reached the twelve year mark, their next presentations will be much simpler, and should face no delays as it is only a ribbon with rosette and a bar for the mounted medal (not an actual presentation of a second/third/fourth CD).  That is where the two to three year delays are really unacceptable.

George Wallace said:
Actually, no.  Not everyone will go to the twelve year mark.  Many leave the CAF between three and eight year marks.  Having a medal stamped ten years in advance and then having to remove engraving or completely reproduce medal is an even bigger waste.  I would think that at the most, they would have a maximum of two year lead time on the production of a CD for presentation.  After a person has reached the twelve year mark, their next presentations will be much simpler, and should face no delays as it is only a ribbon with rosette and a bar for the mounted medal (not an actual presentation of a second/third/fourth CD).  That is where the two to three year delays are really unacceptable.

I am not saying that the decorations should be ready when you join but rather making the point that there should be no surprise that a member is entitled to a CD at the 12 year mark...  It should (and could easily) be an automatic process where information from People Soft is fed directly to whoever orders the medals on a monthly basis however many months ahead of time (as required by the supply system) so the CD is awarded ideally within a month of the due date or at least within a year...

Except the CD isn't automatic for everyone. Peoplesoft doesn't link with your discipinary record as far as I'm aware.

Worst that can happen is the unit receives the CD and doesn't hand it out immediately.  I see this as better than having the other 99% delayed...

Problem is less the production of the CD, as that the person actually completes the required criteria to earn it.  That will not be determined until such time as they fill that criteria. 

Just to throw out another cause of delays at DHH for the presentation of ANY medal, is the creation of new medals to present that include previous service.  For instance; the Peacekeeping Medal.  When that medal was presented, there was no "Grandfather Clause" as to whom was and whom was not entitled.  Now you have a backlog of Veterans, who have been on UN Peacekeeping missions, and have retired before the implementation of this medal, who are now entitled to wear it.  They must now go through the application process, which then has to be processed and verified by someone at DHH, where TB has no doubt cut the manpower resources available......and on and on. 

This whole thread started in responce to a statment on an "apparent shortage."  Has anyone established that there really is a shortage and that this is not a preception from within one unit whose CClk and Adjt have failed to order the medals?

MCG said:
This whole thread started in responce to a statment on an "apparent shortage."  Has anyone established that there really is a shortage and that this is not a preception from within one unit whose CClk and Adjt have failed to order the medals?

Whoa Whoa Whoa

Stop injecting common sense and logic into the debate.  Useless conjecture and bashing of organizations that one doesn't understand (nor try to) is much easier.

Back