• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]

There was no problem having the RN time accepted but why did the OR have to pull my PERS file to verify when the info is already on my MPRR? Is the MPRR not a valid source of info or do they think it was tampered with by a non clerk with dark motives? It's laughable and also sad....pathetic even.

Because they want to be certain things are entered properly?  Because it's an unusual situation and the chief clerk was using it to educate other clerks?  Because clerks are verify lots of things in advance of the eventual roll out of the Guardian system?

WTF is the Guardian.  Sounds Phoenix-ish to my ears... :Tin-Foil-Hat:

jollyjacktar said:
WTF is the Guardian. 

Guardian is coming - New Human Resource Management System for the CAF 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/126609.0

NavalMoose said:
Maybe a "medals clerk" can answer this. Where is the information gathered from to confirm eligibility for the CD2. I ask because recently I asked my OR if there was any info on my CD2 which was due in Dec 2015(I know it takes forever, but after 2 years I thought I would just ask) I was told there was a problem because my "hire" date was April 1990. I was granted 6 years 135 days of PFTPS because of RN time and that is on my MPRR as is the base date for CD of Nov 1983 and Dec 2005 for CD1 which were both received with no problem.  Why is there a problem now when the relevant information is already on my MPRR? My OR said I should have a Res F MPRR for those 6 years.  I was never in any Reserve Force but even if I was that 6 years is in my Monitor MASS (as Res F for some reason)so the time is there. Is someone just reading a part of my MPRR and ignoring the other parts, makes me wonder.

I think someone in your OR is confused.  There should be no issue with this at all.  Service in ANY of Her Majesty's forces is eligible for the award of the CD unless it has already been counted toward another award.  If you've already been awarded a CD and the first clasp, then the 2nd clasp should come at the next 10 year anniversary.  Unfortunately, ORs are not always on top of this, so it's not a bad idea for a member to remind them on the day.  Then, there's the possibility that you've been naughty...

mariomike said:
Guardian is coming - New Human Resource Management System for the CAF 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/126609.0

There have been a number of updates on the ADM(Mat) side about that. Reading those, it's a software upgrade of HRMS to the 9.0 version (from 7.something). In theory, it's just a new version of the same software, but I still find word 5.0 easier to use than office 2017, so...

None of it is related to our pay system as near as I can tell which is good, but expect there may be some glitches as they roll the HRMS over for updates.  Did a print of my MPRR recently for insurance but I have far more faith in DND IT projects than I do in SSC or PSPC after doing the Phoenix training courses and seeing the ludicrous work flows they have poorly implemented. We generally do a good job with project roll out plans, and I think there is massive scrutiny for any IT project rollout now given what a flaming paper bag phoenix has been.

Yes, but then there's DRP and DRMIS.  Neither of which are totally useful or user friendly.  At least Monitor Mass has smoothed out, but l understand they're going to roll that into DRMIS too.  :facepalm:

Navy_Pete said:
There have been a number of updates on the ADM(Mat) side about that. Reading those, it's a software upgrade of HRMS to the 9.0 version (from 7.something). In theory, it's just a new version of the same software, but I still find word 5.0 easier to use than office 2017, so...

None of it is related to our pay system as near as I can tell which is good, but expect there may be some glitches as they roll the HRMS over for updates.  Did a print of my MPRR recently for insurance but I have far more faith in DND IT projects than I do in SSC or PSPC after doing the Phoenix training courses and seeing the ludicrous work flows they have poorly implemented. We generally do a good job with project roll out plans, and I think there is massive scrutiny for any IT project rollout now given what a flaming paper bag phoenix has been.

It's ADM(IM), not ADM(Mat) that's doing the upgrade.  And there are parts of the pay system driven by information in HRMS; I've heard that the end-to-end pay testing has identified areas that need fixing before they can go live - and has also identified problems in the current, live systems.

But unlike certain other pay systems, it's nice to know that there's proper testing and evaluation being done in advance of launching.

dapaterson said:
When requested they are processed reasonably quickly.  When the request is initiated in MAPS and not completed by the requesting unit, then it takes a long time.

EDIT to add:

The process, as I understand it:

AT UNIT
1. Clerk initiates request in MAPS;
2. CO signs off, certifying entitlement;
3. Clerk inputs CO's certification;

AT DH&R
4. Some level of verification of above;
5. Medal / Bar etc prepped and sent to unit;

AT UNIT
6. Medal / Bar etc sits in filing cabinet for several months waiting for parade;
7. APS occurs;
8. Two years later, someone cleans out filing cabinet and asks "Anyone remember who this Bloggins character was"?

(Steps 6-8 may not be exactly as described).

Close.  The unit has to send off a hard copy of the paperwork signed by the CO to DH&R before they will action. 

Guardian is a move from peoplesoft 7.5 (military) and 8.9 (civilian) to 9.5.  it is very different looking with the traditional jargon change and has gone through (and still is undergoing) extensive testing.  My understanding is that they plan to do a stages release.  With stage one they will keep the old system ready just in case there is a major issue and need to revert back (maybe lesson learned from phoenix?). Last I had is the pay module is planned for 2020.

Afternoon,

Backstory - I spent 12 years and 5 months in the Army and retired back in April. I was reg force the entire time but released out of a reserve unit where I was posted last. All of my retirement documentation says CD on it but no one ever actually ordered me the medal. I have talked to my old OR about this and they said that because i'm retired I have to go through the higher command which is in this case Toronto. They have tried to contact someone there and I have tried to contact someone but we get no email replies and unanswered phone calls.

So my question is, has anyone gone through something like this before and if so how did you go about getting your medal ordered?

Thanks

Try: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/af-fd/index-eng.asp

Directorate of Honours and Recognition
Contact the Directorate of Honours and Recognition to apply for a replacement or initial issue medal for retired or deceased Forces members.

Medal application form
For all questions about individual honours:

Directorate of Honours and Recognition
National Defence Headquarters
101 Colonel By Dr
Ottawa ON  K1A 0K2

By phone: 1-877-741-8332 (toll free Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 pm Eastern Time)

By email: medals-medailles@forces.gc.ca

Back