• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Democracy is a wonderful thing.

Again, as I said to Brad, I'll enjoy watching the childcare programs become cemented in Canadian society. You may pout.

Once again, I'm not necessarily against a childcare system. You just choose to hear what you want because you're incapable of a rational thought process. I'm concerned we're hastily setting up an unsustainable system the same as our healthcare system. You make wild assumptions that I don't support universal healthcare, which is entirely false. But it's much easier to argue with strawmen than it is to face the facts.

Democracy, like all things, is not perfect. Those who don't manage to get into the housing market now are not only screwed, their kids are screwed, and for many generational poverty will become a thing. Sounds like you're on the brink of that. Good luck.

Yup, and women back to the kitchen, pushing out babies, forget work as that is not the role of the woman, gays persecuted, back to the 1950s we go!
My mother is still alive and well. We had a nice detached home. Mom never worked ( outside the house ).

She had her babies in the 1950's.

She said back then a healthy mother and child stayed in the hospital a good seven days.

"The nurse would bring you in and I had a cigarette here, a breast there, and you there. I loved it!"

Not to say the 1950's were perfect. But, perhaps not as bad as some might suggest.

So not only do you not understand how sales tax works, you do not understand how equalization works.

I would explain it to you but I don't think you care to learn, so I wont waste my time all knowing ballz.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Dude, I'm a professional accountant and you can't manage your household budget.

Alberta was running deficits in the years before the pandemic and Quebec was posting surpluses...So you're right, I may listen to those with the best finances, but I don't think that's who you think it is.

Honestly man, what universe do you even live in?

Here, since Debt-to-GDP is all you seem to care about, I'll even cater to your skewed version of reality. Let's look at Alberta and Quebec.... Alberta's has never even been close to Quebec's, despite paying their bills for them.

1632694364548.png

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Dude, I'm a professional accountant and you can't manage your household budget.
Yes, me finding ways to set aside 12 percent of my annual income shows that I clearly do not know how to manage my household budget.

More importantly, you seem to think that a Alberta sales tax, of which revenue from which would only be available for Alberta would somehow, magically, be taken by the federal government.

Who actually pays?
Not the provinces. Not provincial governments. According to the Library of Parliament, "Equalization is financed entirely from government of Canada general revenues" raised through federal taxes on all Canadians.

In plainer terms: equalization is funded by the federal government from its general revenue, raised through federal taxes, paid for by all Canadians.

Here is how economist Trevor Tombe, of the University of Calgary's School of Public Policy, describes it in an article he wrote in 2018:

Equalization is a federal program that transfers federal funds to provinces with below-average capacities to raise revenues. Provinces with stronger economies, and with high income households and businesses, raise more revenue for any given tax rate than provinces with lower incomes.
So a sales tax in Alberta does not pay for anything in Quebec, or PEI or anywhere else Mr Professional accountant.

Yes, me finding ways to set aside 12 percent of my annual income shows that I clearly do not know how to manage my household budget.

More importantly, you seem to think that a Alberta sales tax, of which revenue from which would only be available for Alberta would somehow, magically, be taken by the federal government.

So a sales tax in Alberta does not pay for anything in Quebec, or PEI or anywhere else Mr Professional accountant.

Sorry, you're right.... Federal government takes the money directly from me and gives it to Quebec.

Meanwhile, Alberta is left with a reduced level on income to pull from and has to increase taxes on me and other Albertans, in the end, the same people are paying.

It's a distinction without a difference.

Honestly man, what universe do you even live in?
Universe 616
Here, since Debt-to-GDP is all you seem to care about, I'll even cater to your skewed version of reality. Let's look at Alberta and Quebec.... Alberta's has never even been close to Quebec's, despite paying their bills for them.

View attachment 66627
So since 2014 Quebec has been using surpluses and economic growth and trending down, and since 2010, Alberta has been running more and more deficits.

Yup, thank you for confirming, Quebec has been paying down their debt and Alberta has been adding on to theirs. I know how I will consult now, and let me tell you, its not the government in Edmonton.

Get a sales tax, balance the books, and then Alberta can talk.

Sorry, you're right.... Federal government takes the money directly from me and gives it to Quebec.

Meanwhile, Alberta is left with a reduced level on income to pull from and has to increase taxes on me and other Albertans, in the end, the same people are paying.

It's a distinction without a difference.
You still fail to explain your claim that money from any Alberta sales tax ends up in Quebec or NB or PEI or NS

Ah, so social programs are okay when YOU benefit.

You exhibit remarkably poor reading comprehension. I wrote that I benefit either way. I benefit from good governance if government resists the temptation to socialize all costs. I benefit personally if a social program puts money in my pocket. Whether the program is "OK" is a different question.

Universe 616

So since 2014 Quebec has been using surpluses and economic growth and trending down, and since 2010, Alberta has been running more and more deficits.

Yup, thank you for confirming, Quebec has been paying down their debt and Alberta has been adding on to their. I know how I will consult now, and let me tell you, its not the government in Edmonton.

I know you're incapable of long-term thought, but....

Quebec's teeny tiny surplus budgets disappears without all of it's handouts. Nothing to be smug about buddy. Just stop. A couple years of surplus on the backs of everyone else is hardly anything to gloat about. The long-term picture shows the real story.

This also coming from the guy that has no problems with deficits, but Alberta has a few small ones to weather a recession that it gets no federal support for and suddenly they're incompetent. It's just all too much.

You still fail to explain your claim that money from any Alberta sales tax ends up in Quebec or NB or PEI or NS

I just told you, you were right. Unlike you, I'm capable of admitting when I'm wrong.

But, as I said, it's a distinction without a difference. The source is the same, it's still Albertans paying for it. Had that money not been taken by the Federal government for buy votes from Quebec, maybe Alberta would have a PST to raise additional revenue. Maybe Albertans actually have a modicum of respect for their neighbors.

You exhibit remarkably poor reading comprehension. I wrote that....

It doesn't matter what you say, he just wants to twist it into random strawmen to argue with which is why the conversation can't get anywhere.

"I have concerns about this method of universal childcare" becomes "you hate women" real quick with this guy.

I think it might be Yves Blanchet to be honest.

If Alberta could only abandon their affinity for failed Ontario dudes like Harper and Kenney...

Is it really universal day care though? I thought each province was setting up their own systems with money from the feds.

Trudeau was pleased at the protestors dogging his campaign, like that level of political discourse was acceptable in Canada.
You bet.

Ignoring Canadians (surprise) he thought he was in for an easy victory. His regular go to attacks weren't working and he was surprised Canadians weren't praising him, so he was desperate. Fear tactics are always a favorite so the idiots aggressively protesting were a godsend to his beleaguered campaign.

Never let a good crisis go to waste ;)

Fuck, no. QC has provincial income tax rates double those of several other (healthy) provinces, receives equalization payments, and does not really deliver much more in the way of provincial services than other provinces do. No lessons worth learning there except bad ones. Where the hell is all that money going? It sure as shit doesn't go into keeping up the quality of infrastructure; I've driven in Montreal.

I know you're incapable of long-term thought, but....

Quebec's teeny tiny surplus budgets disappears without all of it's handouts. Nothing to be smug about buddy. Just stop. A couple years of surplus on the backs of everyone else is hardly anything to gloat about. The long-term picture shows the real story.

This also coming from the guy that has no problems with deficits, but Alberta has a few small ones to weather a recession that it gets no federal support for and suddenly they're incompetent. It's just all too much.
Quebecers have lower incomes, and bring in less per capita than other provinces (still better than all the atlantic provinces, but nobody talks about them)

So while they do get support from other provinces it is called equalization. It doesn't shoot Quebec or the atlantic provinces ahead of the others.

So all things being equal, I would say Quebec is doing rather well. They were a economic basket case and they turned things around. Thats not always the case, as the other atlantic provinces, who receive much more per capita than Quebec does, have shown.
I just told you, you were right. Unlike you, I'm capable of admitting when I'm wrong.
Ah, thats what that was. Must have misunderstood.
But, as I said, it's a distinction without a difference. The source is the same, it's still Albertans paying for it. Had that money not been taken by the Federal government for buy votes from Quebec, maybe Alberta would have a PST to raise additional revenue. Maybe Albertans actually have a modicum of respect for their neighbors.
The money gets taken by everyone. From Quebecers, from Ontarians, from Albertans, from coast to coast. The money is taken regardless. Its coming from general revenues. Same taxes you pay that goes to the military? Yeah, that same general revenue.

The difference equalization makes is Quebec sees some of it come back and alberta does not.

So this Alberta would have a sales tax if only equalization didn't get taken away is not how the system works.

Is it really universal day care though? I thought each province was setting up their own systems with money from the feds.
Same way our healthcare is universal but every province runs their own system.

If Alberta could only abandon their affinity for failed Ontario dudes like Harper and Kenney...

PM Harper was pretty good.

Kenney is about to get kicked to the curb after only one mandate. Not much of an affinity for him.

Fuck, no. QC has provincial income tax rates double those of several other (healthy) provinces, receives equalization payments, and does not really deliver much more in the way of provincial services than other provinces do. No lessons worth learning there except bad ones. Where the hell is all that money going? It sure as shit doesn't go into keeping up the quality of infrastructure; I've driven in Montreal.
Its not meant to provide more, its supposed to provide the same.

Equalization is the process of making key services equal across the nation, its not supposed to put another province ahead of another. Its so provinces don't fall behind.

So yes, Quebec does not deliver much more in the way of provincial services. If it did it would mean equalization was broken.

You bet.

Ignoring Canadians (surprise) he thought he was in for an easy victory. His regular go to attacks weren't working and he was surprised Canadians weren't praising him, so he was desperate. Fear tactics are always a favorite so the idiots aggressively protesting were a godsend to his beleaguered campaign.

Never let a good crisis go to waste ;)
I'm not about to get myself banned after the election is done.

Back