• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

He's battling the Bloc for the 'Vital Ground' in the closing stages:

Trudeau on the offensive against Blanchet and O'Toole while campaigning in Quebec

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau went on the offensive against Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole and Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet on Sunday, even as he continued to face questions regarding the treatment of two of his own former MPs.

Trudeau spent a second straight day targeting Bloc-held ridings on Montreal's South Shore, where his party hopes to regain some of the ground it lost in 2019.

Trudeau was in the La Prairie riding near Montreal on Sunday, a seat the Liberals lost to the Bloc's Alain Therrien in the last election. As he spoke at a park in Candiac overlooking the St. Lawrence River, he hammered home his commitment to Quebec and the fact that only his party, and not Blanchet's, can form government.

I can see why. It’s my Impression that the CPC and Bloc are fighting for the same vote share. The LPC could come up the middle in a few.

Last election: LPC under Trudeau 33% for 157 seats, CPC under Scheer 34% for 121 seats.

LPC are going to do worse or better against O'Toole?

I have no doubt. I voted CPC but I’m having doubts they will win. What I can hope for is O’toole staying on as leader and keep pushing his message.
Even if they do not win, if they gain seats, and make in roads in say Quebec and the 905, they will keep him.

I think it is going to be a very slim minority this time around, I can hope it will be the CPC just because they and the opposition parties are committed to no more elections till covid is over, where Trudeau has hinted he is a spoiled brat who would call another election in 18 months to try again for a majority.

Last election: LPC under Trudeau 33% for 157 seats, CPC under Scheer 34% for 121 seats.

LPC are going to do worse or better against O'Toole?

Interesting to see how the last week plays out. O'Toole was doing well but suddenly took a nosedive according to the CBC poll tracker. I don't think it's coincidental that O'Toole's numbers started plummeting and PPC numbers started surging right after O'Toole flip-flopped on firearms and said he'd keep the Liberal bans in place. I believe he came down more strongly in favour of a federal vaccine passport around the same time.

Whether any of that actually makes a difference remains to be seen.

Interesting to see how the last week plays out. O'Toole was doing well but suddenly took a nosedive according to the CBC poll tracker. I don't think it's coincidental that O'Toole's numbers started plummeting and PPC numbers started surging right after O'Toole flip-flopped on firearms and said he'd keep the Liberal bans in place. I believe he came down more strongly in favour of a federal vaccine passport around the same time.

Whether any of that actually makes a difference remains to be seen.
Curious to see where the polling breaks out to; if the PPC is making gains in safe conservative seats, may have zero actual impact, but it's really in the tight swing seats that it it matters (similarly for the NDP and Lib seats). I think until they get a strong female leader for the CPC though and be really clear about their stance on abortion, will continue to be the opposition as a lot of people don't trust them to not backslide into social conservativism.

A lot of things on the PPC fiscal side of the platform don't seem too bad, but the anti vaxx and other stances really make them pretty fringe. I think Mr. Singh as the leader of the Liberal party would do a lot better as well. He does the social side of things as well/better than Trudeau and is so far without the ethical lapses and accusations of sexual assault.

What I wouldn't give for a fiscally conservative, socially liberal party; not even sure I want to bother voting as there are no real choices.

Curious to see where the polling breaks out to; if the PPC is making gains in safe conservative seats, may have zero actual impact, but it's really in the tight swing seats that it it matters (similarly for the NDP and Lib seats). I think until they get a strong female leader for the CPC though and be really clear about their stance on abortion, will continue to be the opposition as a lot of people don't trust them to not backslide into social conservativism. And why do people get that idea?

A lot of things on the PPC fiscal side of the platform don't seem too bad, but the anti vaxx and other stances really make them pretty fringe. I think Mr. Singh as the leader of the Liberal party would do a lot better as well. He does the social side of things as well/better than Trudeau and is so far without the ethical lapses and accusations of sexual assault. PPC are not "anti-vaxx". They are anti mandatory covid vaccines and anti vaccine passports. Having said, they also state they would largely stay out of provincial matters. So provinces can still make their own rules.

What I wouldn't give for a fiscally conservative, socially liberal party; not even sure I want to bother voting as there are no real choices. That would be the PPC.

Went to an advance poll today still not sure how I'll mark my ballot. Poll is in a tiny Lion's Club hall with a lineup standing outside in the pouring rain. Brilliant. Turned around and went home. More time to procrastinate I guess.

:cautious:

lol, libertarian does not equate to socially liberal, and sometimes you have to be intolerant of intolerance. Hence why we have hate speech and other reasonable restrictions on freedoms.

Also, regardless of what their platform says, they are behaving like a bunch of ignorant cavemen And you can't simultaneously claim you'll let provinces do what they want and then basically claim you'll overrule a lot of the provincial decisions on vaccine mandates, passports etc. The platform is not tracking with their actual messsaging, and I'd rather put a potted plant in Parliament (although, to be fair, I think that should be the default option; at least it would productively create oxygen).

Vaccine passports have been required for several centuries, and actively spreading straight up lies on things like the approval process, WHO guidelines etc means they have zero credibility. Honestly the PPC and their populist lies can get stuffed. I was vaguely optimistic when they started but they went right into the deep end, and may as well give out purple Al foil membership hats.

Clearly they are a deep state ploy to leach votes off the CPC and keep the Libs in power. Or a double-reveresed ploy to make people think there is a ploy to keep the Libs in power and strengthen the CPC. Or both concurrently; the deep state is Machiavellian that way.

lol, libertarian does not equate to socially liberal, and sometimes you have to be intolerant of intolerance. Hence why we have hate speech and other reasonable restrictions on freedoms.

Also, regardless of what their platform says, they are behaving like a bunch of ignorant cavemen And you can't simultaneously claim you'll let provinces do what they want and then basically claim you'll overrule a lot of the provincial decisions on vaccine mandates, passports etc. The platform is not tracking with their actual messsaging, and I'd rather put a potted plant in Parliament (although, to be fair, I think that should be the default option; at least it would productively create oxygen).

Vaccine passports have been required for several centuries, and actively spreading straight up lies on things like the approval process, WHO guidelines etc means they have zero credibility. Honestly the PPC and their populist lies can get stuffed. I was vaguely optimistic when they started but they went right into the deep end, and may as well give out purple Al foil membership hats.

Clearly they are a deep state ploy to leach votes off the CPC and keep the Libs in power. Or a double-reveresed ploy to make people think there is a ploy to keep the Libs in power and strengthen the CPC. Or both concurrently; the deep state is Machiavellian that way.
Those are quite the assertions.

I have yet to read/hear a reasonable take down of any of the PPC's stated platforms.

Just a lot of "tin foil, racist, misogynist, right wing wacko!". And much of that smear funded by the CPC (who hired Warren Kinsella) last election cycle, ironically, to take down the PPC.

Those are quite the assertions.

I have yet to read/hear a reasonable take down of any of the PPC's stated platforms.

Just a lot of "tin foil, racist, misogynist, right wing wacko!". And much of that smear funded by the CPC (who hired Warren Kinsella) last election cycle, ironically, to take down the PPC.

They are obsessed with immigration and refugees. Talking the right language to certain unfavourable groups that are attracted to them. Not all of it is nuts though. But There is plenty to take down.

In response to the Liberal party's view of the Tory "big tent" approach, difference of opinion does not mean you can't all belong to the same party. If there's no room for different views, how does the party evolve? To quote General Patton:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking."

Reactions: QV
libertarian does not equate to socially liberal

Yes it does, pretty much by definition. A social illiberal who claims to be libertarian misunderstands the entire philosophy of libertarianism.

They are obsessed with immigration and refugees. Talking the right language to certain unfavourable groups that are attracted to them. Not all of it is nuts though. But There is plenty to take down.
Their plan for refugees and immigration don't sound too crazy at all.

But you know what is crazy? Bringing in a record number of immigrants during a worldwide pandemic. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mendicino-immigration-pandemic-refugees-1.5782642

Back