• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

c4th said:
Try teaching declination to recruits who cannot wrap their heads around 60 minutes in a degree and the multiplication of less than whole numbers.  

I know what you mean...........but it proves my point very well i think.  Kinda sad actualy...

neuromancer said:
Here is a link to some simple problems, can anyone
tell me if the CFAT is much harder than these?

http://math.com/cgibin/mathf_sp.pl

Does the CFAT include any graphing or geometry?

Since these are invisible I would say they would be much harder.  No, the CFAT does not include graphing or geometry.  You had better check out the recruiting FAQs on the CFAT.

I know we aren't suposed to discuss the exam question content, so I won't. I found the exam freakishly easy, despite how hard I thought it was.... If you can't pass this test, then you definately shouldn't be in the forces, lol... Very easy indeed.

FanjoyAJ said:
Don't feel bad... After I took the CFAT, I was told that the best I could do in the military was a cook... I was rather insulted.
One of the trades I most respect are the cooks. Unsung heroes, in my books. What in heck would we do without them? Damn fine job potential once released, too.

Nonetheless, if you get a GED preparation book (go to any bookstore, about $20) and take the math and english pre-tests. Brush up on the areas you are weak until you get a passing grade in the manual. You'll ace the CFAT for math and language skills.

Our CF cooks have garnered some of the most prestigous awards in the international culinary field. They are second to none and take pride in what they do. Every trade in the CF is just as important as the next.

Hey I had the same problem,
I took the CFAT and failed for the trade I wanted and was told that I could be a Cook or a Steward.
I decided not to take that route and to try the CFAT again.
I have Studied my ass of and Have been getting tutored 3 times a week for the last three months.
I'm not too good at math and thats all my problem was. English no prob and Spatial ability no porb. Just the Numerical ability. I feel 100% more positive about taking the test again and im sure I will get into the trade I am applying for. Which is Infantry.
My suggestion to everyone is to find a good tutor and to just go through the basics ( adding and subtracting, fractions, number sequences.)

Another really good way to study would be to pick up these couple books from chapters or indigo books.

1. How To Win At Aptitude  Tests Vol 1 and 2
2.Basic Mathematics by the company Teach Yourself.
3.Mathematics made simple by Thomas Cusick.

For me just going over this stuff often makes it seem easy.

Good luck all those Aptitude test takers.

Wish me luck!

hi everyone Im new to this site, and was hoping for some advice, I applied to the military when I was 18, and did poorly on my CFAT, the math part and problem solviing, I had no idea what to do, they told me I could be a cook or a steward, and I was very upset, and it discouraged me from going any farther,mostly because my father is in the combat arms, and he was not very happy about the out come of my testing,  I dropped the idea completely of joining the CF, now at 20 I want to redo my testing, but fear I will fail again, is there anyone who would be willing to help me online studying for the test and maybe some tips on how to gain more upper body strength haha
  ???

hi everyone Im new to this site, and was hoping for some advice, I applied to the military when I was 18, and did poorly on my CFAT, the math part and problem solviing, I had no idea what to do, they told me I could be a cook or a steward, and I was very upset, and it discouraged me from going any farther,mostly because my father is in the combat arms, and he was not very happy about the out come of my testing,   I dropped the idea completely of joining the CF, now at 20 I want to redo my testing, but fear I will fail again, is there anyone who would be willing to help me online studying for the test and maybe some tips on how to gain more upper body strength haha

Corrinne,

Review some of the previous posts on this issue. Quite a few people have difficulty with the math section and if you haven't worked to improve your numeracy chances are you will continue to have trouble with the problem-solving portion of the CFAT.   As noted above, get a tutor or take a course to upgrade your skills - that's really the only way you will improve your math skills.

Otherwise what's wrong with cook or steward? (It's one way to get into the CF and once into the system you might be able to upgrade your education and move to a different MOC - or you might really enjoy the trade.   ;))   Most of all talk to the recruiting guys and they will lay out your options. Undoubtedly they will caution you against writing the test unless you are 100 per cent certain you can pass because you only get a one more kick at the can - otherwise you would require permission to re-write IIRC

(But you know, being a navy cookie travelling around the world sounds pretty to me these days   ;D)

cheers and good luck  

I had my CFAT today and I didn't qualify in the math section for my trade. My english was great but I guess I will have to wait three months before I write again. I can't believe it.

I had my CFAT today and I didn't qualify in the math section for my trade. My english was great but I guess I will have to wait three months before I write again. I can't believe it.

iwanttoserve23,

Look under the "recruiting process" board and scroll down to "Canadian Forces Aptitude Test" there is a lot of advice there on what to do - most of all - forget it, move on, and write the CFAT again once you've improved you math skills,

Cheers, mdh

Oh and to add to that!
I wouldn't take the test again without getting at least a couple of days a week of math. Just go over the basics, + number sequences and problem solving. Just know that they dont expect you to get a hundred percent . Find a family member or anyone that is good at math and can teach you. I had the same problem.

For me I just haven't done  too much math since school and just forgot just some of the different ways of doing equations.
AS MDH has pointed out look in "Canadian Forces Aptitude Test" Test section and there is a few good posts on pointers on doing CFAT.

I wouldn't feel to bad. You not passsing the CFAT was just a little kick in the Butt to brush up on your math skills. Just make sure you stick to it right up to your test.

IT Will Help!

Cheers

One thing I know that I did to practice was find some free GED tests on the net and take the tests there - most of the ones that I found will show you the answers and let you know what you got wrong. 

Just thought I'd try to help.

Check out this site:

http://www.jobs-emplois.gc.ca/menu/ui_examinfo_e.htm

Practice the tests in the time alloted.  If you have trouble with certain questions, get
some help, and practice some more until you can become proficient.  Good luck.

Here's a few online aptitude tests from the Public Service Commission of Canada. By no means am i saying these are THE questions. I found these the night before my CFAT, so i didn't get a chance to do any of them, but by looking at these tests, i got an idea of what to expect as far as format so it took the surprise out of it, and i was able to just dive in. They are also good practice for the math and other components.

General Competency Tests  Level I      http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/gct1_test_e.htm
General Competency Tests  Level II    http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/gct2_test_e.htm

Graduate Recruitment Test    http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/grt_test_e.htm
Office Skill Test    http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/ost_info_e.htm

Here is a great site I found to brush up on math skills.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise

I did the tests in each section and studied up on anything I had trouble with. It worked great. I did very well on my CFAT.

Just a random question. Does anyone know how long the list of trades would be if someone got 100%? I did my cfat 1.5 years ago, and my list was 2 pages long.

mine was 2 pages also, and I know that I messed up at least 2 questions

if you got 100% then wouldn't all the trades appear?

another good resource to passing the test is
-barrons -spatial relations ( chapters @$28)
-How To Prepare For The Asvab: Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery  (chapters @$28)
-This Is Your Passbook For General Aptitude Test ***** No Returns *** ( chapters $65)

go to chapters .ca and look up general aptitude.

and I am not sure if it has been mentioned but if you go to http://www.military.com/ASVAB

should help.

FITSUMO said:
if you got 100% then wouldn't all the trades appear?

It actually says "ALL TRADES" down the side...or something like that, can't remember exactly but it says it in big bold letters down the side of the pages.

Back