• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBI 205 Allowances Changes 1 Sept 17

CountDC said:
So they are now all getting SDA and not just casual for days they sail?  That was the target we were seeking and building a case for before I left.

Yes that's right for some years. In regards to the reserve staff the sign a Class C SOU each time they deploy on ship. All receive SDA.

I am sure Mercedes Stephenson got an extra zero or perhaps two in her report as to how much a member may be losing in a six month period.  I find it hard to believe that a member could lose up to CDN$ 23+K in six months on losing an Allowance for not being fit to perform their duties.

Are members not told that their Allowance is for the time that they are actually "operational in" that position, not for the rest of their career?

Assaulter makes SOA, LDA and assaulter allowance I'm pretty sure. Depending on the guy that's easily 3500 a month.

MND has now stated he will look into this.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/sajjan-looking-into-allowance-cut-for-ill-injured-soldiers-after-180-days-1.3674127

MCG said:
MND has now stated he will look into this.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/sajjan-looking-into-allowance-cut-for-ill-injured-soldiers-after-180-days-1.3674127

I really don’t get it. If you can’t do the job then you shouldn’t get the allowance.  The fact that they get 6 months is pretty generous IMHO.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I really don’t get it. If you can’t do the job then you shouldn’t get the allowance.  The fact that they get 6 months is pretty generous IMHO.

:goodpost:

I agree.

Not to mention that losing an allowence should never cause a hardship....you cant count on an allowence always being there so you need to budget off your base sallary.

It was the same with LDA....I knew I could be posted to a pos that was not entitled to it (and I am in fact now). Id be in rough shape if I depended on that money...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

And 6 months is a lot more warning than a lot of guys get that a posting message will strip away the same allowance because the CAF wants you at a job across the street or down the road.

dapaterson said:
Pay is not changing at all.

Allowances, paid with the expectation that an individual is able to perform specific duties, are being paid for six months while an individual is unfit and then stopped - and then restarted once they are able to resume those duties.

Can someone explain why someone unable to jump out of an aircraft should be paid an allowance for jumping out of aircraft?  Why someone unable to go to sea should be paid an allowance for going to sea?

The way I see it, this is the CF's fault that I am on Tcat... in my case destroying my knee, physio and rehab, 5 years later to have more issues with the same knee related to my job. All this is going to do is encourage those to hide injuries in order to maintain their LDA, sea pay (whatever it's called) etc. My one regret in my career is that on day one of receiving LDA back in 2009 I should have created a separate bank account for that so that I would never touch it...back when I lived in the shacks and only had a modest car payment, I was never taught to do that and on my own account never bothered to think about it. To me it just appeared as pay.

In my situation, we were told that this would not be retroactive and signed papers to that effect on Nov 30th. In January we found out that they are in fact making it retroactive and clawing back 3 months worth of LDA from us. To top it all off, as of this morning my end Feb pay will be substantially in the negative somehow. This issue is under control from what we are told... but they also gave us assurances related to if this would be retroactive or not and look how well that worked out for some of us here.... 

Back