• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CEOTP (Continuing Ed Officer Trg Plan) 2003-2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
JohnnySea said:
Hello,

I'm currently about to enter my third year at Queen's University for a science degree in Math and Economics.  I applied to become a pilot (ROTP) in January after completing my private pilot's license in December of last year.  Went through the entire application process and passed everything except for a rather long delay in the medical portion of ASC due to a minor eyesight issue- three months to be exact..  As a result of this delay, I missed both the first and second round selection dates for ROTP and I'm currently sitting on the merit list to this day.  The recruitment office mentioned this 'new' program (Seneca-RCAF) back in late June and said its great opportunity for me, as the last day to apply is in August.  All I need to do is write the entrance exam (which I have scheduled for Wednesday of next week) and they said I'll be admitted to the program.  It seems really great! $3500/monthly pay after basic, subsidized aviation technology degree (not a Bachelors degree) and rcaf wings in a matter of four years.  The recruiters seem really excited about it, but I have my doubts.  Like a lot of you said above, there seems to be scepticism about career advancement opportunities etc.. I understand this completely.  My current schooling is fine (very expensive) and I would be happy to finish, but military flying is the main goal and this new path seems fine to me.  Opinions?

Here's my opinion:  Finish your B.Sc and then look into DEO Pilot.  Just because the program is available doesn't mean it's not full of teething issues.  Remember, while the trade is Pilot, the CF hires you as an Officer first and Pilot second; you don't want to forego 3 years of a 4-year degree, when the degree will benefit you more for your military (and therefore flying) career.

Another consideration is what happens if you don't finish Pilot training?  Not that I'm suggesting you'll fail, but Pilot training is far from a guaranteed pass.  A degree is required for an officer trade in the CF, and if you don't have one while in the system, they all become closed to you for remuster. 

Would it not be possible to jump over to the NCM world if pilot training didn't work out?

Niner said:
Would it not be possible to jump over to the NCM world if pilot training didn't work out?

It's possible, but will it depend on what's available. 

Dimsum said:
Here's my opinion:  Finish your B.Sc and then look into DEO Pilot.  Just because the program is available doesn't mean it's not full of teething issues.  Remember, while the trade is Pilot, the CF hires you as an Officer first and Pilot second; you don't want to forego 3 years of a 4-year degree, when the degree will benefit you more for your military (and therefore flying) career.

Another consideration is what happens if you don't finish Pilot training?  Not that I'm suggesting you'll fail, but Pilot training is far from a guaranteed pass.  A degree is required for an officer trade in the CF, and if you don't have one while in the system, they all become closed to you for remuster.

A agree with your opinion and many others have suggested the same thing.  There seems to be a half and half "for" and "against" ratio for this program.  What I think is to take the gamble (meaning attempt the program) and if all fails I can always go back to Queen's and finish my degree.  If I am successful in the program I could also potentially complete my degree on the side so I'd end up with a technology degree as well as BSC - I can see this coupling being highly useful when applying for jobs outside of the airforce.  IF I decided to do DEO, I would be missing nearly 120k in pay over the next 3 years as outlined by the payscale I received yesterday.  4th year Seneca students (2 LT) are payed $48,000/year on top of subsidized school and flight training beginning at $40,000/year as a first year.  If I stay at Queen's Im dishing out over $20,000 for a mere BSC.  The Seneca program is screaming in my ear quite literally.

From what I understand, the first round of selections for the CEOTP-AEADS-Seneca program is happening today.  I suspect offers won't start going out though until sometime next week or even the week after.  Regardless, good luck to everyone, and be sure to let us all know how you make out!

Cheers,

Rob

Are these seneca slots completely separate from DEO?  Anyone have an idea how many DEO slots have been filled? I understand that when they hit a certain # .... the process stops. Some insight into how many have been hired would be great. Lot's of people waiting @ different stages. 

AFAIK these spots are completely different from the DEO spots.  Each different entry program has a certain number of spots allocated to it in the Strategic Intake Plan, which of course changes on any given Fiscal Year.  I have heard (from a fairly reliable source) that the TOTAL number of 00183 PLT spots for this fiscal year is somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 ish, and somewhere around 40-50 DEO.  Of course I can't confirm this 100 % so take it as it is.  Remember that ROTP, DEO, CEOTP, CT/OT, as well as the group of Brit Pilots they're bringing over this year all have to come out of this total.  I know a few people waiting for an offer for DEO, and judging by the DEO offer forum running over in recruiting, as well as my friends that are still waiting, it seems that not a lot of offers have gone out yet for DEO.  I suspect due to the large volume of pilots they're hiring this year that things like your Air Factor from DRDC and whatnot are going to slow down the offers a little bit.  I imagine everyone is a little swamped right now.  I tried calling my file manager this week to see if my Air Factor has been assigned prior to my Selection board sitting  (haven't tried calling in nearly 2 months)  and nobody answered the phone both days I called, and the voicemail inbox was full all week.  I would imagine these guys are super busy and it might take a bit before offers start going out as they have a lot of people to process.  Purely speculation of course though.....  I would also suspect that when they meet their Strategic intake number target for a certain entry plan, than yes the process would stop.

Cheers,

Rob

Canadian Forces enrol first officers in a new pilot program

Aug. 21, 2012

One of the first officers under the new Air Environmental Affiliated Degree (AEAD) program was enrolled in the Canadian Forces (CF) August 17 in a ceremony in Barrie, Ontario.

Officer Cadet Aaron Jeffrey was sworn in by his father, Major Frank Jeffrey, in the AEAD program, which is a partnership between the CF and Seneca College. The AEAD program blends the academic requirements for the Seneca College’s Baccalaureate in Aviation Technology with the training mandate for a Royal Canadian Air Force pilot.

“It was really special for me to have my father conduct my swearing-in and for me to follow the same career path as him,” said OCdt Jeffrey. “When I found out about this program, I applied for it right away, because it means that I can get a degree in what I want and my pilot wings at the same time. I’ve been working on my private pilot’s licence for a while now, because I knew I wanted a career in aviation, so this is a great opportunity for me.”

Successful applicants are enrolled in the CF and undergo their Basic Military Officer Qualification training in Saint-Jean, Quebec, followed by the RCAF Phase I pilot training at 3 Canadian Forces Flying Training School in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba.

If successful in this initial phase of training, they transfer to the Seneca College and begin academic studies towards their bachelor’s degree. The students then spend the next four years completing requirements to earn their bachelor’s degree and their CF wings.

The AEAD program is one of the paid education programs available through the Canadian Forces, which offers free tuition, books and academic equipment in addition to a salary with benefits.

Paid education programs are available for officers and non-commissioned members in a variety of occupations through colleges and universities across Canada, including the Royal Military College of Canada.

For more information on paid education opportunities, visit www.forces.ca or your local recruiting detachment.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=13143

Good for Seneca ?

My layman opinion / inquisition -  is there a big difference between a candidate attending the Seneca program and getting a "technological" degree as opposed to another aviation college student getting their diploma with licenses followed by 1-2 years of Uni and a degree? What is so special about Seneca ? Perhaps this is a friendly (bitter) ;) rivalry , but the two other Ontario colleges have pilots serving on virtually every aircraft type in the RCAF. I mean in the end, all college candidates come out with near identical credentials. One must still go to school for a year or two in order to attain the degree. If Seneca cut to the chase and did just the flying, it would be 2-3 years. I highly doubt that an RJ simulator, a shirt + tie, and some multi time will make or break your in the Canadian Forces pilot program. It would be interesting to see who proposed this program originally.

Hello everyone , i am new to this forum , been reading alot lately and spent alot of times on different forums and such.  I also read alot of blogs from aspiring pilots and people that graduated some years ago.  Found it very interesting , though no one really could answer my questions. 

So this is my Background , im a 24 years old male , born in arthabaska ( quebec ) , raised in Whitby ( Ontario ) and currently living in Downtown Quebec City , 5 years ago i tryed to join the CF but wasn't ready for it , and really wasn't in the right job for me ( Avian Tech ) , i went trough the Basic Training but eventually dropped out not long in it. 

5 years later here i am , still looking forward to get back in the CF ( always been my dream to fight for the CF ) ever since i was a little boy i wanted to become a pilot , but since i knew i was never gonna go to the university , especially in quebec since before the university you have to do 3 years minimum of CEGEP , i kinda scrath that idea of the list. 

Last month my dream came back , thanks alot for a new program over at Seneca College , basically i am joining the ontario based college , doing my 4 years of university , at the same time as my military selection and training.  All this training and school will also be payed by the CF wich is something really nice for me!

But since the program was quite new , the recruiters couldn't really help me , and espically since the program was for English or Bilingual Students , those recruiters here in Quebec didn't have much information since more then 95% of the applicants are french.

so my questions are pretty much if anyone has any info on the program...

Like how does it work with the school year ?
do i still do my phase1 and phase2 in manitoba ?
am i living in some PMQ's ??
am i allowed to get an appartement with my girlfriend ??
after i get my degree am i enlisted on the spot as a military pilot ??
is there more test and classes after the school ??

so yeah i have alot of questions.

My father in law is a 35years of service Veteran, but he was a infantry Master Warrant Officer.  So he can't really help me with the airfoce stuff.  I also have a Brother in Law wich is also an infantry Sergeant here in Quebec he can't really answer my questions neither.  He tryed to speak with some griffon pilots of the 410 here in quebec , but they were pilots before the program got out , so they didn't have much info.

so if anyone of you could help me out , i would really appreciate

Separate thread here on the matter...

http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/106261.0.html

thanks i did a search for Seneca this morning , but probably didn't show up because it was named Seneca-CATF

thanks tho , will read all of it

the more info i have the better i feel , ive been spending the last 3 weeks reading as much as i could about what were the selection programs in trenton , how to prepare for it , what kind of questions they were gonna ask , etc. etc.

hopefully i will be ready in time and make the cut !

This post is really really interesting , i am currently waiting for an admission response over at Seneca , and i think i have so many questions about this class that no one seems to have the answer ....

My situation is quite complicated tho .... I currently live in Quebec City , and since everyone knows , Quebec has CEGEP wich is basically 3 years classes after High School that you have to go trought prior to be able to enlist for University.

So since there was no Classes in the civi side that really made me interest , i thought about the military side of thing , thats when the recruiter spoke to me about Seneca College. 

I wanted to become a pilot since i was like 7 years old , and with this class i could basically work my way hard to try to become one.

The main questions are pretty much stated here , is this a real degree ??? i mean if ever i dont finish the class "don't make the cut for military pilot" what happens then ??? Can i still fly , Can i do a re-test ?? etc.

is there a way i could go to RMC instead of Seneca even if i don't have a Degree right now ??

i tryed to speak with a recruiter here , but they didn't really help me out , since i was raised in Whitby Ontario i didn't mind going back to Ontario , and since 95% of the applicants over at my recruiting center are mostly French , they didn't have much info about the schooling side of things ....

i tryed to find some answer over here , but i might be a bit dumb ... i can't seem to understand the abreviation and such .... so im trying to read between the lines and read as much as i can.... but i gotta say that this post pretty much tore me appart.

on one side i really wanna go to seneca so i can fly ASAP , but at the same time , i want to be in the military and climb the ladder .... so should i go to RMC ??? if i wanna go to RMC .... do i really need a university degree prior to joining .... or can i join it while doing on ?? or .... honestly im full of questions haha .....

thanks alot to whoever can help me out !

this post pretty much tore me out ........ im reading it and god am i unsure about my decision :S :(

im just trying to figure out the best AND quickest way to fly ..... but at the same time , i want to go trought all the step and become a good pilot with all the military requirements , and i don't want to take a class that will put barriers for future promotions and all.

so yeah .... im lost :S :( ...... and to top it off .... since i live in Quebec City but from Ontario , i have to go trough Cegep ( 3 years ) before ever thinking of going trough the University ( 4 years ) BEFORE applying to RMC ( 2-3 years ) ....

so yeah seneca seemed really nice .... but as i can see .... im pretty screwed as far as the opinions and quality of the class goes ... well thats what i saw ....

krimynal said:
Quebec has CEGEP wich is basically 3 years classes after High School that you have to go trought prior to be able to enlist for University.

The CEGEP general program prior to attending university is 2 years, not 3.

The CEGEP professional program is 3 years, prior to entering the work force or going to university (if one chooses).

still ... were talking of at least 5 years , prior to even think of joining RMC ...... then at least 2-3 years .... so ill get out of the school at around 30yrs old ... wich already puts me as "old" for a pilot .... i mean for a begginer ....

You need to do some serious reading on the forces.ca website and here...............

im trying to read as much as i can .... i really didnt meant that as a disrespect or anything ...

im trying to keep my mind open as much as i can ... im simply overwhelmed with everything i am reading ....

im not an active officer of any kind , so all the accronyms i have a hard time understanding them ....

im also really really really overwhelmed with all the info .... i first wanted to join for something i really didnt liked but wanted to go in airforces ... then i realised there is some way i might be able to work my butt off to become a pilot ...

so here i am posting .... trying to figure out everything ...

im reading on forces.ca .... im doing googles searches everyday , trying to understand everything . speaking with some active sergents ( infantry so can't really help me )

iv='ve been going to the recruitment center 4 times this month .... and still i have tons of questions .... this is something im taking really seriously .... sorry if i sound stupid ...... i just wish i could get this all sort out !

ADD : and since i live in Quebec , all the info the recruitment center is giving are in french , so when i get to forces.ca im trying to read in french to get it all sorted out , but then i come to this forum and most of the people on here and english speaking person , so im trying to formulate it at the best as i can ... but the terms arents the same , and im trying to figure them out slowly 1 by 1 !

krimynal said:
im trying to read as much as i can .... i really didnt meant that as a disrespect or anything ...

No disrespect taken. You are asking some question that even a cursory reading of the CF recruiting website would answer for you.

alright , well thanks anyways , ill try to go back to the website and learn from that point !!

thanks eventhought !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back