• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,944
Points
1,010
Many civilians are of the opinion think or beleive military pers get "free" housing and don't pay taxes.
 

Quirky

Sr. Member
Reaction score
208
Points
680
Made the front page of the Sun.  :nod:

CAN_ES.jpg


 
S

smale436

Guest
Quirky said:
I don't even pay half that in the coldest months, something is seriously wrong with that Q if heating costs are that high. Either way, yes heating and overall PMQ costs are atrocious and the overall situation on base is affecting operation capability. But who cares this is the norm for Canada right?  ::)

I don't understand that either and assume he is talking both utilities combined. I just looked at my electric and gas bills for December, a very cold month, and they were $90 and $115 respectively. That is setting the heat at about 18 which I find is comfortable enough to wear shorts in my duplex Q up in Mackenzie.

However for the last 4 years I have utilized the budget equal payment plan and all year long the monthly bills for each have never been above $80. Makes it much easier to deal with. As far as Q rent, my 1 1/2 storey with garage was 695 when I arrived in May 2008. As of April 1 it will be 940. (992 with the water, sewer, and garbage fee)
 

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Halifax Tar said:
I really don't know what can be done if his CoC wanted admin or discipline action. 

I know if I was him I would understand I just fired huge salvo at employer and have upped the ante.  If I was him I would continue to talk to the press, it's about the only thing he has.  He has to hope public compassion will keep him free from correcting measures.

Alas ERC is right... This will only last until The new news buds in.

He's not allowed to talk to the press anymore. His wife on the other hand...
 

Bzzliteyr

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
CDNAIRFORCE said:
I don't understand that either and assume he is talking both utilities combined. I just looked at my electric and gas bills for December, a very cold month, and they were $90 and $115 respectively. That is setting the heat at about 18 which I find is comfortable enough to wear shorts in my duplex Q up in Mackenzie.

I paid Enmax $311 for my last bill. I average $300 a month to them. 1234 sq ft house in Calgary.
 

agc

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/01/12/21391721.html

DAMIEN WOOD, QMI AGENCY
Jan 12, 2014, Last Updated: 1:51 AM ET

CALGARY - Charges will likely result for an active soldier with a family who spoke up about his inability to keep up with his bills on base in Cold Lake, sources tell QMI Agency.

Cpl. Darenn Tremblay, a 25-year-old from Jonquière, Que., who’s been posted to CFB Cold Lake for the past 21/2 years, has been instructed by his commanders not to speak to media anymore.

There hasn’t been a penalty handed down yet but sources said he will likely be charged, although it is not yet known what charge he could face.
 

The Bread Guy

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
472
Points
1,230
Halifax Tar said:
I really don't know what can be done if his CoC wanted admin or discipline action.

agc said:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/01/12/21391721.html
DAMIEN WOOD, QMI AGENCY
Jan 12, 2014, Last Updated: 1:51 AM ET

CALGARY - Charges will likely result for an active soldier with a family who spoke up about his inability to keep up with his bills on base in Cold Lake, sources tell QMI Agency.

Cpl. Darenn Tremblay, a 25-year-old from Jonquière, Que., who’s been posted to CFB Cold Lake for the past 21/2 years, has been instructed by his commanders not to speak to media anymore.

There hasn’t been a penalty handed down yet but sources said he will likely be charged, although it is not yet known what charge he could face.

CAVEAT:  we only have the word of "unnamed sources" here.  That said, we'll see 1) if it happens, and if so, 2)  what charges are laid, and 3) whether it sticks.
 

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
367
Points
910
This is the 'blood in the water' that always draws the MSM sharks into a feeding frenzy.

Hopefully, they'll drag this whole mess out into the daylight.
 

Journeyman

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
680
Points
940
milnews.ca said:
..... 2) what charges are laid, and 3) whether it sticks.
2)  Busking. 
3)  He'll likely be let off with a caution because he wasn't at the more irritating end of the busking scale -- mime or making balloon animals.  ;D
 

The Bread Guy

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
472
Points
1,230
Journeyman said:
2)  Busking. 
3)  He'll likely be let off with a caution because he wasn't at the more irritating end of the busking scale -- mime or making balloon animals.  ;D
Or, heaven forbid, a mime making balloon animals  :eek:
 

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
434
Points
1,010
recceguy said:
This is the 'blood in the water' that always draws the MSM sharks into a feeding frenzy.

Hopefully, they'll drag this whole mess out into the daylight.


I agree, and I hope it works.
 

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
650
Points
960
We have to remember here that the CF only has so much control over pay, allowances and PMQ rents. PLD is a Treasury Board governed item, and rent increases are managed through CFHA and mandated by TB to reflect fair market value. That being said, here's the rules regarding PMQ rents:

Based on a Treasury Board Secretariat directive, a charge of up to 25% of gross household income for DND housing (excluding costs for parking, fuel and utilities) is considered acceptable. Where the shelter charge exceeds 25% of gross household income (including the Post Living Differential (PLD)), the occupant may apply with CFHA to have the rent reduced to the 25% limit. Applications for rent reduction must be submitted annually and provide the necessary details to substantiate the gross household income level.

That seems pretty reasonable when you consider that most banks won't grant a mortgage that exceeds 33% of gross family income.

I don't know what the PMQ rent is for the member in question, but there's more to the story here I suspect.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
791
Points
1,060
Just like we can "apply" if you take a huge loss on your house, so whatever government entity can deny it.

DND is not solely at fault here, but there is a leadership failure at some higher levels for not putting pressure on TBS sooner before this hit critical mass in the form of some poor Cpl willing to make himself a martyr so the milking of CF pers at Cold Lake will stop.
 

PPCLI Guy

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
617
Points
1,040
PuckChaser said:
DND is not solely at fault here, but there is a leadership failure at some higher levels for not putting pressure on TBS sooner before this hit critical mass in the form of some poor Cpl willing to make himself a martyr

You must be that really rare Sigs Sgt who sits in on the various meetings between "senior leadership" and TBS to know that a) nothing is being done, b) the "senior leadership" doesn't care about Cpl Snuffy, and has said so, c) that there are no conflicting demands within the ongoing relationship between DND and TBS that demand a never ending series of compromises, d) that leaders at all levels are not doing their honest best to alleviate the situation in a rational, defensible and sustainable way that does not jeopardise a host of allowances, benefits, compensation, and even capability.

so the milking of CF pers at Cold Lake will stop.

Milking?  Really?  By whom, and to what end?  As you have already heard, CFHA loses money.  A Cpl makes more than the average Canadian salary, and makes budget choices every day, just the taxpayer who pays his salary (and makes less than the Cpl).  Explain this milking to me again?
 

Quirky

Sr. Member
Reaction score
208
Points
680
Now Calgary has picked it up on their front page. Lets hope this gets trickled into the national scene.  :nod:

4gFDO.jpg


 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,944
Points
1,010
I would like to know what is parked in his driveway.

Anyone else want to know?
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
410
Jim Seggie said:
I would like to know what is parked in his driveway.

Anyone else want to know?

I have been wondering if he made enough busking in Edmonton to cover the cost of travel to and from there.
 

agc

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
George Wallace said:
I have been wondering if he made enough busking in Edmonton to cover the cost of travel to and from there.

It made the Edmonton paper, but it happened here in Cold Lake.
 
Top