• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

upandatom said:
I understand where this kid is coming from,

The PLD needs to be revamped. I dont mean a year long study, I mean now, there are people in place that can handle this. The process for administrative and financial changes in the CF is ridiculously long. A member living in Cold Lake, should have the same amount of take home in his pocket as a member in Borden, Ottawa, Halifax, Gagetown, Valcartier, Victoria. This "you get posted here, Sucks to be you, your broke now" is ridiculous. There is no way the quality of life between two soldiers/airmen/seaman in two different postings can be as different as it is. The yeah it sucks you got posted there mentality needs to stop.
IE a Member in Ontario- 5100 a month, 3800 take home, thats decent, however an hour down the road in Quebec, 2900 a month, just because of where he/she was sent? Even with PLD, Which, is a taxable benefit.

As for the 129 he recieved, I agree he should of been, he spoke out. He brought attention to it. Good for him, There are other ways though.

I don't think you'll find too many here on this site that do not agree with you on either point, that:

1)  PLD needs to be revisited sooner rather than later; and
2)  That despite drawing attention to the issue (ie: the kid fell on his sword), that a 129 was appropriate given the circumstances.

The PLD needs to be revamped. I dont mean a year long study, I mean now, there are people in place that can handle this. The process for administrative and financial changes in the CF is ridiculously long. A member living in Cold Lake, should have the same amount of take home in his pocket as a member in Borden, Ottawa, Halifax, Gagetown, Valcartier, Victoria. This "you get posted here, Sucks to be you, your broke now" is ridiculous. There is no way the quality of life between two soldiers/airmen/seaman in two different postings can be as different as it is. The yeah it sucks you got posted there mentality needs to stop.
IE a Member in Ontario- 5100 a month, 3800 take home, thats decent, however an hour down the road in Quebec, 2900 a month, just because of where he/she was sent? Even with PLD, Which, is a taxable benefit.

With this rational, the persons below the Ottawa baseline should be paying back the government because their cost of living is some much more less. Rob Peter to pay Paul.  I know many people posted in Cold Lake that are financially prudent and live within their means and are doing aright to well off.
The ones that I know that aren't, are the ones/spouses who were never good with their money in the first place.

What would happen if in their magic formula they decided that Cold Lake is the new PLD baseline. Would never happen. My point is if they do a complete review and it still does not meet you expectation of fair or goes in the opposite direction, then what?

Grunt_031 said:
With this rational, the persons below the Ottawa baseline should be paying back the government because their cost of living is some much more less. Rob Peter to pay Paul.  I know many people posted in Cold Lake that are financially prudent and live within their means and are doing aright to well off.
The ones that I know that aren't, are the ones/spouses who were never good with their money in the first place.

What would happen if in their magic formula they decided that Cold Lake is the new PLD baseline. Would never happen. My point is if they do a complete review and it still does not meet you expectation of fair or goes in the opposite direction, then what?

Then that is fine, and understandable. It is expected that the system will not, and is far from being perfect, or bends to my or many members will.

Noone said paying back, however, when a review is done, it become effective at that time. I get the Rob Peter to pay Paul thing, It is a catch 22, piss off Ottawa, or keep pissing off Cold Lake.

There still is no reason that two members, who are financially sound, doing the same job, trade, in two parts of this country, make the same amount have different take home due to taxes, or rent, etc. OR are expected to bite the bullet for that increase in cost of living, or live their lives to a lower standard then a counterpart somewhere else.

So its this kids fault for going where he was told, doing his job in Cold Lake, where he has to be tighter financially?

as opposed to a kid in Winnipeg, Trenton, doing the same job, has alot more money to burn?

Thats not right.

and what about those people "stuck" in postings, (even when people are asking to go to those ones, and they want out) that with what seems to be an impending FRP and Promotion/Posting freeze.

I watched my parents go through an FRP, Living on a base, it wasnt a pretty sight.

Alberta has a tax advantage.  Cold Lake may have a higher standard of living right now but it hasn't always.  Edmonton's has come down again.  Their PLD hasn't been adjusted.  Least TB could do would be raise the PLD in Cold Lake and probably Wainwright to match Edmonton.

Same kid going to Winnipeg or Trenton would likely have to adjust more, just because of taxes.  (both provincial sales tax and higher provincial income tax)

Federal tax rates for 2014
•15% on the first $43,953 of taxable income, +
•22% on the next $43,954 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $43,953 up to $87,907), +
•26% on the next $48,363 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $87,907 up to $136,270), +
•29% of taxable income over $136,270.

Alberta 10% of taxable income

Manitoba 10.8% on the first $31,000 of taxable income, +
12.75% on the next $36,000, +
17.4% on the amount over $67,000

Ontario 5.05% on the first $40,120 of taxable income, +
9.15% on the next $40,122, +
11.16% on the next $433,848, +
13.16 % on the amount over $514,090

PLD adjustments should consider where you are moving from-to. There are lots of QOL issues than just the city you get posted to.

newwifey said:
PLD adjustments should consider where you are moving from-to.

Alberta has a tax advantage.

PLD should be there, IMO, so that a Cpls/whomevers paycheck (take home pay) is nearly identical whether you are in Cold Lake or Trenton. Then again everything else should be the same across the board...mess costs, barracks and PMQs. Things like higher housing prices in different areas should not be considered since its your choice to get into the market. Our salary is pretty good where a working couple can buy something at any base in Canada, AFAIK. Single members still can too, just takes a little more saving.

Alberta does have an advantage in taxes, however I'm glad its there considering its the shittiest province to live in/get posted to. :2c: I'm from BC so maybe I'm a bit spoiled.

Quirky,

Housing price SHOULD be included because if a house is expensive in City X, it is very likely that the renting market will also be expensive by probably a very similar factor...  Heck, even PMQ prices change from place to place.

SupersonicMax said:
Quirky,

Housing price SHOULD be included because if a house is expensive in City X, it is very likely that the renting market will also be expensive by probably a very similar factor...  Heck, even PMQ prices change from place to place.

CFHA mandate is to charge RHU (new term for PMQ) rates the same as local economy.
It is no longer cheaper to rent on or off base.

So I agree with SupersonicMax, housing should be a factor for PLD.

Quirky said:
Alberta does have an advantage in taxes, however I'm glad its there considering its the shittiest province to live in/get posted to. :2c: I'm from BC so maybe I'm a bit spoiled.

Haha, you can think that all you want, I'm heading home soon.. +4 degrees here in Calgary today.. Chinooks sure are nice.. and the Northern Lights I saw last night.. sweet! Two weeks ago I used my 311 app on my phone to report potholes on my way to work, they got filled and repaved earlier this week. Oh, and Stampede. Oh, and the mountains/skiing/camping/hiking are 45 minutes from my place.

Bzzliteyr said:
and the Northern Lights I saw last night.. sweet! ...

Was just checking out your pics of them on my newsfeed on crackbook - beautiful!!

[/endtangent]

Quirky said:

Kidding right----Alberta is far from the shittiest place to get posted to.

You get one guess where these rates are from.....(and this is just the provincial rate) federal sits on top of this.

the 16% rate applies to taxable income of $41,495 or less (previously $41,095);
the 20% rate applies to taxable income of more than $41,495, but not more than $82,985 (previously $82,190);
the 24% rate applies to taxable income of more than $82,985, but not more than $100,970 (previously $100,000);
the 25.75% rate applies to taxable income of more than $100,970.

That doesnt include the extra .20 per litre of gas, the 2.00 more for milk, and the average .75 per lb of chicken, or the other costs as school taxes, water taxes, and get this-Road Repair Taxes.

upandatom said:
Kidding right----Alberta is far from the shittiest place to get posted to.

You get one guess where these rates are from.....(and this is just the provincial rate) federal sits on top of this.

the 16% rate applies to taxable income of $41,495 or less (previously $41,095);
the 20% rate applies to taxable income of more than $41,495, but not more than $82,985 (previously $82,190);
the 24% rate applies to taxable income of more than $82,985, but not more than $100,970 (previously $100,000);
the 25.75% rate applies to taxable income of more than $100,970.

That doesnt include the extra .20 per litre of gas, the 2.00 more for milk, and the average .75 per lb of chicken, or the other costs as school taxes, water taxes, and get this-Road Repair Taxes.

AND your anglophone spouse is totally screwed for education/employment so you're suddenly a single-income-family.  Can we factor THAT into the PLD?  :-X

If given the choice between Alberta and here, I wouldn't think twice.  :2c:

In general, I think as soon as the military let's me choose my postings (not just preference) then they have the moral authority to say that dealing with changes in cost of living is my problem. Until then, any downturn in my quality of life should be mitigated as much as possible. Because telling the CM that you can't afford to go to Cold Lake or that getting a prohibited posting and being forced on R&Q is causing a financial hardship will not stop that posting.

Or the CM telling you " you don't want to be posted? Fine. Your COS is now your release date."

It's happened.

Regards

Nerf herder said:
Or the CM telling you " you don't want to be posted? Fine. Your COS is now your release date."

It's happened.

Regards

Used to tell people if they don't like where they are, what they're doing, etc, the option is always there to leave, since they weren't conscripted...and when people ask why I got out, I just tell them I took my own advice.

MM

CombatMacguyver said:
AND your anglophone spouse is totally screwed for education/employment so you're suddenly a single-income-family.  Can we factor THAT into the PLD?

The first time I was posted out of Québec when married, my wife was unilingual franco. Nobody cared about my family situation, or the fact that my wife was unilingual. She was once told something along the lines of "Well, you knew what you were getting into when you married a Soldier". She did not whine, she took English classes, she adapted to her new environment and within 2 years, she was working. I have the utmost respect for her... the whiners, not so much.

Nerf herder said:

It's happened.

Regards

I've seen this too, it happened to a WO I used to know. Mobility is a characteristic about being in the Military. You don't like it, find something else...

Jungle said:
The first time I was posted out of Québec when married, my wife was unilingual franco. Nobody cared about my family situation, or the fact that my wife was unilingual.

The CAF is not the public service. This argument should never be a consideration in meeting "the needs of the service", IMO.

kratz said:
The CAF is not the public service. This argument should never be a consideration in meeting "the needs of the service", IMO.

Did you read the rest of my post ? That is exactly the point I was making. However it was not the case for 2 Sailors I knew in St-Jean, who were posted out within a year of getting there, because their wives could not "adapt"  ::)

kratz said:

Funny, they seem to try and make it as much like the PS as possible in most areas...then pull out the "military" card whenever it's convenient.

Tcm621 said:
In general, I think as soon as the military let's me choose my postings (not just preference) then they have the moral authority to say that dealing with changes in cost of living is my problem.

Really.  Moral Authority.

It is a job that you chose to do.

Live with it.

Back