• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-146 Griffon

What is wrong with the C130J?
They didn’t buy the high speed ramp so they’re the only c130js that have a limit of 150 knots with the ramp open. They were one of the first foreign customers so they’re aged. The Brit’s at least put new centre engine boxes in their planes that they’re getting rid of.

They didn’t buy the high speed ramp so they’re the only c130js that have a limit of 150 knots with the ramp open. They were one of the first foreign customers so they’re aged. The Brit’s at least put new centre engine boxes in their planes that they’re getting rid of.
so theyre good to replace the CC-295?

Saw the post about getting AH64 helicopters

Bases with big enough ranges would be an issue for training

Cold Lake or ?

Thinking Petawawa is too small

I hope you are right but I fear the talk of us being read the riot act is just that talk. How long since we said we are looking at increasing spending and nothing has been done? Where is the F35 contract? Where is the MRTT contract? P8 should be another slam dunk
The MRTT is still going. They announced a while back that the A330 was the only contender.

The MRTT is still going. They announced a while back that the A330 was the only contender.
Didn’t the RCAF discreetly manage to get its fingers on 2 soon to be retired A330’s with the intent to convert them to refuellers, aka the MRTT?

Or something to that affect?

I remember reading somewhere credible (non-Canadian source) that we put a deposit, or some kind of ‘something’ for 2 MRTT aircraft, to be acquired & converted at a future date. (Probably to avoid a standard competition?)

But now that I think about it, maybe you are right. Maybe it just announced that the A330 was the only option we were considering, and 2 of those aircraft would be refuellers? (But if buying MRTT, I’d think they’d all be refuellers?)

My wires are all mixed up, but I think MRTT is a sole source contract when the time comes.

(F**k. You’re welcome folks. Thanks for reading my post about nothing!)

Didn’t the RCAF discreetly manage to get its fingers on 2 soon to be retired A330’s with the intent to convert them to refuellers, aka the MRTT?

Or something to that affect?

I remember reading somewhere credible (non-Canadian source) that we put a deposit, or some kind of ‘something’ for 2 MRTT aircraft, to be acquired & converted at a future date. (Probably to avoid a standard competition?)

But now that I think about it, maybe you are right. Maybe it just announced that the A330 was the only option we were considering, and 2 of those aircraft would be refuellers? (But if buying MRTT, I’d think they’d all be refuellers?)

My wires are all mixed up, but I think MRTT is a sole source contract when the time comes.

(F**k. You’re welcome folks. Thanks for reading my post about nothing!)

i think youre right

"The first two aircraft are expected to arrive in Canada in the winter of 2023; while they are currently configured for long-haul commercial use, the DND said they may be placed into early service in passenger/cargo roles as they await their modification to military specifications."

Im afraid that whatever wins the open competition for the Griffon replacement won't matter much. Just before the contract award is announced Bell will ask for a meeting and cry that the plant will have to close if they don't win. Then whatever concoction they come up with will be the next CAF helo.

Im afraid that whatever wins the open competition for the Griffon replacement won't matter much. Just before the contract award is announced Bell will ask for a meeting and cry that the plant will have to close if they don't win. Then whatever concoction they come up with will be the next CAF helo.
They can toss a bone for a bunch of grey helicopters run with TC crews leased out to DND to operate off of the AOP's in the Arctic.

I hope you are right but I fear the talk of us being read the riot act is just that talk. How long since we said we are looking at increasing spending and nothing has been done? Where is the F35 contract? Where is the MRTT contract? P8 should be another slam dunk

Not unjustified skepticism, SO. I suppose we’ll see.

If the Bell V280 Valor wins FVL-FLRAA, Mirabel will no doubt be set up to do some final assembly and contribute to the V280 global supply chain.

i think youre right

"The first two aircraft are expected to arrive in Canada in the winter of 2023; while they are currently configured for long-haul commercial use, the DND said they may be placed into early service in passenger/cargo roles as they await their modification to military specifications."
And we’re replacing 5 planes with 6, so that’s a nice surprise.

(We originally intended to have 5 Polaris operating, but 1 of them has become the designated jet for the PM. So I’m guessing we are acquiring 6 aircraft because one of them will become the new Canada One, and we’ll be back to operating 5 of them.)

And we’re replacing 5 planes with 6, so that’s a nice surprise.

(We originally intended to have 5 Polaris operating, but 1 of them has become the designated jet for the PM. So I’m guessing we are acquiring 6 aircraft because one of them will become the new Canada One, and we’ll be back to operating 5 of them.)
That is not really how it works.

I have routinely seen “01” do regular troop lift. It is not reserved for PM/GG use.

Even better would be to replace the Griffon with UH-1Ys and buy AH-1Z Vipers, which share 84% of components.

Besides, the Apache is made by Boeing, who made Trudeau a sad panda over the CS100.
Good call. Share 84% of their components & both made by Bell.

In another reality, the GoC saw those 2 great products made by a company with a manufacturing plant in Quebec & asked themselves…

“Wait, can we get ourselves some proper military aircraft AND spend the money in that riding!? There’s an opportunity there…”

That is not really how it works.

I have routinely seen “01” do regular troop lift. It is not reserved for PM/GG use.
I knew 01 was to be used for troop lift when the PM/GG didn’t require it.

I was under the impression that between maintenance, PM/GG usage, it’s hours spent outside of its VIP role were limited. My mistake.

If all 6 are delivered & end up in service, that would be a decent step up as far as strategic airlift goes

Even better would be to replace the Griffon with UH-1Ys and buy AH-1Z Vipers, which share 84% of components.

Both yesterday’s aircraft. The Griffon will be around for long enough that any Huey-based platform will be woefully out of date.

Besides, the Apache is made by Boeing, who made Trudeau a sad panda over the CS100.

As I said elsewhere, Boeing was a catalyst. Bombardier was looking to offload the C-Series to avoid any money-losing entanglement with its high-profit biz jet business.

Mirabel is a commercial plant. Bell hasn’t and won’t move Viper or Venom production there. Also as @Good2Golf pointed out their day is fading, adopting them as a Griffon replacement isn’t really moving forward, it’s more treading water as technologies have advanced.

Looking at anything but a true Military helicopter is a fools errand, and that is really the option of the Bell V-280 Valor or the LocMart Defiant.

Looking at anything but a true Military helicopter is a fools errand, and that is really the option of the Bell V-280 Valor or the LocMart Defiant.

But do we have anything that can shift armoured vehicles around in a hurry, like the Russkies did to blunt the Ukrainian breakthrough?

Russia sends reinforcements to Kharkiv as Ukrainians advance​

Poddubny reported that Russian military headquarters were using Mi-26 helicopters to reinforce units in Kharkiv with both men and armored vehicles, redeploying reserve troops to both Kupiansk and Izium.

Back