• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Clothing allowance gone Sept 05

SHELLDRAKE!!

Inactive
Reaction score
Yup, as of Sept 05 the clothing allowance is switching to a points system in that you will accumulate points towards purchases of things like berets etc. It goes nicely with the recent lowering of commuting allowance rates that magically coincided with fuel cost hikes. :cdn: :cdn:

One point equals One dollar.

If you are posted to a unit (Ship, other places) where you wear combats all the time you will receive 200 pts a year to maintain your DEU kit. You can amass a total of 1200 points. If you are in a unit where wearing DEU's is the norm (NDHQ, MARPAC, CFFSE etc) then you will receive 600 pts per year to a max of 1200 pts.

Up side, no cash changes hands
Downside - you will now pay full price for DEU kit. (eg. shoes Male -CF cost $42.00 - Actual cost $92.00 (est.)

Reason? Remember that 17.00 per month for clothing upkeep allowance? Well DND was losing a ton of money because nobody seemed to by buying kit.

But yet there was also another CANFORGEN that indicated that women in the service can buy Bra's and claim them up to a max of around $65 per year.

The P Res has been on points for over a year.  The program is administerd by logistik corp https://www.logistikunicorp.com.

I've found it to be an excellent system.  I started out with 243 points, and it has been enough for 2 pair of gloves, 1 x oxfords, 5 x short sleeve shirts, 1 x long sleeve shirt, 2 x beret.

Examples:  Oxfords 80, drill boots 82, short sleeve green shirt 15.

The real bonus is they ship everything express post and it usually arrives the business day.

I thought it was for maintenence and upkeep of said kit.  Not for buying new stuff. And I was also on the understanding that the point system was for reservists only.

mover1 said:
I thought it was for maintenence and upkeep of said kit.   Not for buying new stuff. And I was also on the understanding that the point system was for reservists only.

As previously mentioned, the CF determined that more funds were being paid out then taken in through logistik corp & Cash Sales, therefore the RegF is now adopting the points system as well.

Well Good maybe some of the FATTIES can get new tunics.

mover1 said:
Well Good maybe some of the FATTIES can get new tunics.

Good point. This way, no one will have an excuse in not having a correctly fitted uniform, nor will anyone have to dawn eye protection when a fattie is trying to button up their tunic in front of you!!

Navalsnipr said:
But yet there was also another CANFORGEN that indicated that women in the service can buy Bra's and claim them up to a max of around $65 per year.

My wife just went thru this and its actually up to 160$ / year , 1 claim yearly. So if you buy only 1 bra for 50$ you can't come back a couple of months later for another claim for the rest of the 160$. Also, I think it's for sports bras only, but I was told by other women friends that they don't check that.

By the way, sport bras a freakin' expensive, at about 50$ each!

Ref Bra's or BTU (Bra Temperate Underwear)

Only women posted to operational units or units designated.  "PMO CTS will provide sufficient funding to cover the purchase of a BTU for initial issue (based on 5,500 women) and the first two years of provisioning for all CF females conducting land operations and for CF females within selected units and organizations that support LF operations"

"The initial individual entitlement authorized for the BTU is a once a year allocation of a maximum $160 for a recommended four (4) brassieres, whichever comes first, for all CF females serving within the designated Units.  A member tasked to take part in a six-month deployment overseas, in support of Land Operations, is entitled to an additional $160"

Where is the CANFORGEN or order ref this points system?  Never heard of it.

Theres a powerpoint presentation available on the din at http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/LFCA/D143000440045351.asp?Lng=E

So far the canforgen has not been released yet but the verbal order is out.

One small problem that is being passed up the chain at this moment is the Regs in tier 1 environments get 600 pts annually while Reservists on Class B in these same areas still only get 243 pts per year.  The bits costs the same so why the difference?

IE in Ottawa, WOs and above Reg and Res all have to wear DEU 5 days a week (well, 4 really since we all drink like fish on Fridays)

I dunno Maybe because you only work half the time in uniform and the otherhalf pumping my gas........ :-X

Its a joke ....  don't take too much offence.

I belive its because it is in line with the dollar value one would normally get while on contract.

I never take offence to jabs at the Militia.  It would be like the eldest brother actually taking notice of the newborn infant in the family.

The dollar value of what exactly.  On Class B my salary is roughly 90% of my Reg force counterpart. (85% + the %5 that isn't deducted for pension)

That would work out to 540 pts.  My tunic costs the same as the next guy's I think.

Of course my more stable personal and family life would eliminate the possibility of binge eating and bizarre weight disorders. Thus resulting in a lower uniform requirement.  My last tunic had to be exchanged because the tailor glued on my Sgts rank.

I'm sure the point difference is merely an oversight that will be corrected in the very near future.

I am not the bean counter but I do belive it has to do with time on contract. So many days at work +so many points. Much like leave is calculated. But hey I am talking out of my hat.  :warstory:

Anyone else thats more expert that can find this out for us?

Any Bin Rats out there care to explain?

Back