• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communications and Electronics Engineering ( CELE )

DVessey said:
1. KAF = Kandahar Air Field, not exactly an air force base. The most common CELE deployments will be in support of communications, which may or may not include an air base.

True, somewhat. CFJSR has a number of CELE Officers posted there and a few have been employed as the NCCIS Tp Comd in KAF. So yes most of the deployements will be in supposrt of communications, there is the possibility of going to KAF dependant on where you are posted.

DVessey did a pretty good job.  I just have a few things to add.  I heard that CELE will not be doing exactly CAP but an AF version of it....  There is a variety of postings in the CELE(Air) world, from very technical engineer and project management type positions in Ottawa to Troop Commander positions at JSR to positions on airfields.  You could end up in any one of them. 
Almost having finished school, I assume you are a DEO. DEOs had to do 8 months of French but that practice was discontinued last year.  Now it is IAP/BOTC then OJT for however long it takes you to get on course and then CELE(Air) Basic.  Sweating in to trade qualified can be anything from a year to 3-4 years ( course failures, medical issues, etc).  I did the 8 months of french and it took me about a year and a half to get fully qualified.

As for Sigs vs CELE, from what I have seen you cannot really say one is more technical than the  other...  They both have their peculiarities and in the Ottawa-type technical positions CELE and Sigs officers are interchangeable.

I'm curious to know more about the support trades of the RCAF - I know that they are out there listening - how about telling us about job conditions, deployments and the day-to-day experience.

I'm sure a Mod will come along and move it down a couple of boards....  :)

Chock it up to friday afternoon sleepy head.

Done. I think...

Zoomie said:
I'm curious to know more about the support trades of the RCAF - I know that they are out there listening - how about telling us about job conditions, deployments and the day-to-day experience.
I would like to echo this interest getting an account of the CELE(A) trade duties, daily activities, and posting opportunities. It doesn't seem like this forum has any identifiable posts already outlining this information.

Thanks!

Tango18A said:
C & E officers are in 2 trades. SIGS for the Army and CELE for Air.
Are you implying that SIGS and CELE officers do the same job but are separate MOCs for their respective elements? If not, I think I missed your point.

Are you able to provide a description of what officers in either MOC will be doing on average? I believe that is what Zoomie was looking for (specifically for CELE(A) O). I'm interested in the ICT trades of both elements but this may not be the proper forum for a SIGS discussion.

Jobs for Sigs Officers within the Army are far more demanding than would be a CELE Officer in the Air Force. Sig O's can count on being Duty O's in CP's and the CO's adviser on communications issues (once he confirms his advice with the SNCO's). In my experience, CELE O's are Base or Wing Tech advisers and don't deploy with the units from that base. But again every thing is dependant on employment location.

Tango18A said:
Jobs for Sigs Officers within the Army are far more demanding than would be a CELE Officer in the Air Force. Sig O's can count on being Duty O's in CP's and the CO's adviser on communications issues (once he confirms his advice with the SNCO's). In my experience, CELE O's are Base or Wing Tech advisers and don't deploy with the units from that base. But again every thing is dependant on employment location.

I think there are a lot of CELE officers out there who would disagree with you.  There are only a very limited number of Base/Wing positions for CELE - the vast majority of CELE positions would be in technical positions in the dot COMs, the various Comm Gps, ATESS, etc.  I'm pretty sure I have a list here somewhere of positions for CELE officers.  If I can find it I'll post it.

Hence why i said in my experience. When I was at Wing Telecom in the early 90's, the Wing Tel O was CELE, and so was the TMO at 742 Comm Sqn.

Even when i deployed on TF 1-07, the only CELE i encountered was the G6 ECM 2.

And the tech posn's might be mentally demanding, but not as physically demanding as following the troops with C/S 0A or 0B. But this is my  :2c:

Tango18A said:
And the tech posn's might be mentally demanding, but not as physically demanding as following the troops with C/S 0A or 0B.

Hey, this is the Air Force forum.  We'll have none of that kind of language in here!  ;D

I guess it must be hard to move the Holiday Inn then. Is that better for la chair force.  >:D

Thanks for the replies. Some of the acronyms are lost on me, but I get a sense that there are various postings available to both trades. I would enjoy seeing your list, Occam, if you could find it.

It's okay...I just finished 26 years in the mob, and some of them were lost on me too.  Them Army fellas talk funny.    ;)

PM sent.

Thanks again for the valuable information, Occam.

My interest in the CELE trade is a bit of a long term goal (5-10 years most likely) as I have yet to complete my undergrad and I am contemplating some time in as an NCM for the unique experience that will offer (and the financial benefits available will help me finish my undergrad and make me eligible for a commission).

I posted elsewhere about my perceived ideal CF career path. I have an idea of what I'd like to do but not clear sense of the trade to which I'm best suited at this time. I am still trying to research the actual day-to-day duties in the common postings for new NCMs of various trades—especially the C&E Branch trades—but I won't hijack this CELE thread further with those questions (keep an eye open for my posts in other forums though :)).

I am interested in CELE because I have BAC in electronics.
Just curious if somebody else are going to apply when next financial year will start in April,1st ,2012.
Do you have any information how many spots per year?

Occam said:
It's okay...I just finished 26 years in the mob, and some of them were lost on me too.  Them Army fellas talk funny.    ;)

PM sent.

Not as funny as the Navy. I think they just like making names up.

One more question about CELE.
I saw information on www.forces.ca
Following your successful application, you will be enrolled in the Canadian Forces and undertake Initial Assessment and the Basic Officer Training Course at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. You will learn the principles of leadership, the regulations and customs of the service, basic weapons handling, and first aid. You will also take part in a rigorous program of sports and fitness training. Basic Officer Training is given in English or French and successful completion is a prerequisite for further training. After Basic Officer Training, you may attend a second language training course lasting from two to seven months, depending on your second language proficiency.

Basic Occupational Training

Basic CELE (AIR) Occupational Course – Module 1. This course lasts approximately 8 weeks and consists of formal training conducted at the Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics (CFSCE) in Kingston, Ontario. It is normally offered once a year, during the summer months. The course is designed to introduce you to the Communications and Electronics Branch, and provide you with the technical knowledge necessary to manage communications information systems (CIS) and airfield systems in the Canadian Forces.

Basic CELE (AIR) Occupational Course – Module 2. This course, lasting approximately 11 weeks, is conducted at CFSCE Kingston. It is normally offered once a year, during the fall and winter. It builds on the theory taught in Module 1 and introduces you to more advanced military communications and electronics theory and its applications. You will also learn how to plan CIS support to deployed operations and how to deploy CIS equipment. The course also provides you with the business management skills required by all CELE (AIR) Officers. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be assigned to a leadership position at your first unit with in the Canadian Forces.
So Traning can be
BMOQ---- language school ----- Basic CELE (AIR) Occupational Course – Module 1 ----- Basic CELE (AIR) Occupational Course – Module 2
or
BMOQ------ Basic CELE (AIR) Occupational Course – Module 1------- Basic CELE (AIR) Occupational Course – Module 2

Am I right?
Language school is mandatory?

Back