• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases

B

brad_dennis

Give me the Pros and Cons of living in Petawawa and joining the RCD or living in Edmonton and joining the PPCLI. If accepted as an OF in the infantry, I‘m leaning towards PPLCI just for the simple fact that I have never lived out west and would like to.
..... Btw does one have the option of saying no to Shilo if one chooses the PPCLI or is that decision made for you. Let‘s have it, but please try to remember that "because so and so are a bunch of f---ing slope-headed morons" won‘t really be helpful :D

You can state your preference as to which battalion you would like to go to, but the final decision is made by the army.

btw, how far do you plan to get as an infantryman in the RCDs? They are tankers. I will assume you wanted to say RCR. :D

:fifty: Yard Ape

HAHA - Ya I figured I‘d just run along infront the tanks and take out any mines with my cement boots. You assumed correctly.

With the RCR you could also request a posting to the battalion in Gagetown NB.

:cool: Yard Ape

brad.

Pettawawa. They have good training grounds. the base is old and wearing down. The town of pet is really boring. No night life, no excitment unless you like to fish and hunt a lot. The town of Pet is not 100 % pro army.Ottawa is only 2 hours away which is good.

Edmonton. (ive never lived there this is what ive heard. dont quote me on this) The base of Edmonton is newer better living quarters. The training grounds are good. The city of Edmonton is more exciting the Pet. Better night life, more things to do on a weekend, mountains close by, or the city thing. The city is really pro army. Not a lot of liberals out there!

Overall I think Edmonton would be better life style, less boredom, more options, it is cheaper to live there to, no Provinsial sales tax.

Good Luck
pete :warstory:

Here‘s another option for you. If you‘re feeling adventurous, pick the VanDoos. You‘ll be put in Valcartier or Quebec City. Why would I madly suggest this?! Montreal is barely two hours away. You would never be bored there. Plenty of nightlife and activities to keep you occupied. The same goes for Valcartier and Quebec City. Just an idea. I hear this coming from people all the time. Where should I go?!!! Hmmm....... :D

-the patriot- :cdn:

Go where you‘re told to go...

Do what you‘re told, when to do it and how many times to do it...

Watch all that you can see, select the best parts and put away the rest...

Above all, make the most of you‘re time; it‘s the only thing you‘ll own.

All the Best

Dileas Gu Brath

gee.. that was helpful. Was that somehow relevant to the post?

Er, not that Master Blaster needs me to interpret or defend his posts for him, but the answer would be yes.

Read what he says again. He‘s not talking about where you‘re going to get the best deal on an apartment. He‘s telling you about how to live in the army. And that‘s where your real home is going to be, no matter where you‘re posted.

Make sense?

well bloggins, that is true. the army is your home.
but it still does matter what "apartment you live in". that can mean alot to live in a community where you are welcomed and have lots of options. Where as if you live in a town that will make you feel miserable on your time off...well thats no good. So Brad make sure for your future you choose a place that you know you will want to be for a few years. a place where you can enjoy yourself on time off and have a chance to meet people. Its your future. :sniper:

Bloggins, if you re-read my original post again, it‘s not only where, but I ask the question about the regiment also. RCR as opposed to PPCLI. Hence the title Can O‘ Worms.....

If I was concerned only with creature comforts and "getting the best deal on an apt" I wouldn‘t be joining the CF infantry now would I? I do however like to make a decision based on some sort of recce and I know virtually nothing of the west. Could be there is no difference in the nature of the PPCLI and RCR, but I don‘t know that.

What‘s you opinion on the nature of the RCR and Pettawa versus PPCLI and Shilo or Edmonton. Biased or not I‘d like to hear them.

I‘m not looking for general philosophy on army life, but facts and opinions on which to form a base for a decision, which could possibly effect how successful and effective Iam in my chosen path.
B.

B.

The PPCLI have a reputation as being cowboys, and the RCR have a reputation for being very annal. I won‘t share my opinion in this area, but I figured this is the information you are looking for.

:cool: Yard Ape

First, a disclaimer: I was PPCLI for 14+ years.

I joined the PPCLI because it was based in the west where I wanted to live, had a battalion at the time in Germany where I wanted to serve, was a regiment I had exposure to as a reservist, and was the regiment of a number of officers and NCOs I had met and admired.

The PPCLI, the RCR and the Vandoos are all very good at what they do. However, you are right when you suspect that there are cultural differences between the regiments. In fact, there are very noticeable (and somewhat unexplainable) cultural differences between battalions of the same regiment.

I served in both Third and Second Battalions of the PPCLI and my personal feeling was that 2nd Battalion lived by the "work hard, play hard" philosophy. This sounded great, but it sometimes could get out of hand. 3VP, on the other hand lived by the "we have fun doing our job" philosophy. There, you were allowed to have fun at work. Both were equally adept at their soldier skills. Personally, I preferred the 3VP approach: I was good at my job and enjoyed doing it.

My sense of the RCR, having worked with many excellent officers and NCOs from that regiment: they are also very professional -- but they seem to display a more powerful awareness of history, and take their role as Canada‘s "senior" infantry regiment very seriously. Personally, I thought this made them (as a collective group, not necessarily as individuals) occasionally slow to adopt new thinking and changes to time-tested procedures. To wit: battle drills -- while the PPCLI were developing new section battle drills, the RCR (it seemed to me) were hoping not to have to give up "sections in line, forward march, left foot -- bullet."

Just one man‘s opinion... I‘d be interested to hear thoughts and perspectives from RCR and Vandoos members.

Excellant! - exactly the kind of info I‘m looking for. Keep them coming, biased or not I‘d love to hear your opinions on the regimental personalities / general geographic pro and cons.

Thanks again!

I have applied for a position in the infantry. I‘m trying to decide whether to go for PPCLI, or RCR. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the diffrences between the two are, other then RCR is in the east, and PPCLI in the west. I‘ve heard that Petawawa isn‘t that great of a place to be posted, so to go for the PPCLI. Is there any truth to this? Your help yould be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brian :cdn:

Both Regiments are very similar in structure, training, equipment, etc. It really comes down to where you want to spend the your forthcoming years.

1 and 3 Battalion PPCLI are in Edmonton
2 Battalion PPCLI is in Winnipeg (moving to Shilo Manitoba in 2003/2004)

1 and 3 Battalion RCR are in Petawawa
2 Battalion RCR in Gagetown

I‘ve been to all these bases and, while bases in major urban centres have more nite life, each location has its pluses and minuses. Do you hunt, enjoy the outdoors, prefer quiet areas, solitude, etc? Does driving two hours on the weekends to go Winnipeg or Ottawa matter to you? Maybe living in a semi isolated base isn‘t so bad?

Cheers,

Laddy if your concerned about where you are going to be posted I doubt that you will make it in either regiment. Try the Air Force.

Pro Patria

Listen here Art, I‘m confident that I can make it in either regiment. That‘s not even an issue. All I wanted was an intelligent answer as to what the pros and cons of each regiments are. :evil:

Gunner, thanks for your reply, it helped out alot.

:)

Brian read your first post carefully. you say you have "applied for a position in the Infantry". Exactly which position did you have in mind? Do you think enlisting in the Army is like applying for a position at IBM? I spent a year at a recruiting depot many years ago and recruits were sent to where they were needed not where they wanted to go. With all the commitments that the Army has do you think you will spend all your time in Canada at a nice cushy establishment of your choice. Because you start with a certain regiment does not mean that you will stay there you could be posted out to a different battalion or even a different regiment or corps for that matter. You certainly dont sound like Infantry material to me. Your beginning to whine already and you are not even in yet. If you think I‘m being hard on you wait till those nasty Corporals get hold of you and after them come the Sergeants and Sergeant Majors.

Back