• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Compulsory Occupational Transfer [COT] questions

Thanks, but IAW CBI 204.3 it seems that failing a trade course isn't consider a COT. Do you know anything about it?

Good question, I'm not sure. Is there no possibility of a re-course? Is the individual substantive in rank? Lots of variables...

Thanks, but IAW CBI 204.3 it seems that failing a trade course isn't consider a COT. Do you know anything about it?

That sounds like a COT for inefficiency. I doubt there’s a vested pay protection in that case.

If it is the first course aka initial occupation training, that is different than if the mbr is at OFP.

Check CFAO 11-12.

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some advice about COTing. I’ll keep it short, but I have been unsuccessful for the last three years to VOT out of my trade (Inf O). I have just graduated from ROTP and am about to head off for course in the fall and I do not want to do it. Is it possible I can talk to my new CoC and ask for a COT? I want to stay as an officer in a support trade, but also in another element. I do think I can do some good work as an officer I just don’t want to do it in the combat arms. I understand that I technically don’t meet the COT criteria, but it is ridiculous that I haven’t been able to switch trades under the VOT process and I do not want to fail my upcoming training, intentional or not, to be considered for a COT.

I don't think the CAF offers COTs when you can't pass your course. Are you failing for physical reasons or academic?

I don't think the CAF offers COTs when you can't pass your course. Are you failing for physical reasons or academic?
Oh, okay. From what I was told by other members (who have COT’d) is that if you want an easy way to get a COT then you must intentionally fail on course. That failure could come in the form of academic or physical.

I think you’re right because I can’t find anything about failing being a reason to COT in the COT policy. But like I said if it was an option I wouldn’t do that because it would reflect poorly on my career. I just want to be honest with my new CoC and try and come up with a feasible solution that benefits myself and the CAF.

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some advice about COTing. I’ll keep it short, but I have been unsuccessful for the last three years to VOT out of my trade (Inf O). I have just graduated from ROTP and am about to head off for course in the fall and I do not want to do it. Is it possible I can talk to my new CoC and ask for a COT? I want to stay as an officer in a support trade, but also in another element. I do think I can do some good work as an officer I just don’t want to do it in the combat arms. I understand that I technically don’t meet the COT criteria, but it is ridiculous that I haven’t been able to switch trades under the VOT process and I do not want to fail my upcoming training, intentional or not, to be considered for a COT.
So you haven’t even done your trade course yet but already have three years of trying to VOT? Not trying to be a dick here but it sounds like you were offered INF on a Monday and started trying to VOT by the end of that week. Did you take a trade you actually never intended to do because you thought you’d get an easy VOT?

I've seen people released under a 5F item for failing training 2 or 3 times. The CAF might not think your advantageously employable and just release you instead of giving you a spot on another trade course.

Last edited:
So you haven’t even done your trade course yet but already have three years of trying to VOT? Not trying to be a dick here but it sounds like you were offered INF on a Monday and started trying to VOT by the end of that week. Did you take a trade you actually never intended to do because you thought you’d get an easy VOT?
I understand where you’re coming from. I did accept Inf, but at the time I wanted to do it. I completed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 in my first academic year and realized that a support trade is probably best for me. My intention from the start was to be in the Inf.

I understand where you’re coming from. I did accept Inf, but at the time I wanted to do it. I completed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 in my first academic year and realized that a support trade is probably best for me. My intention from the start was to be in the Inf.
That’s fair.

Pay heed to what @Jarnhamar is saying. I know him personally and know where he works; his observations about people’s careers ending on stuff like this are pretty informed ones.

If you fail enough PCs you will be sent to PRB. This PRB can have multiple outcomes:

• Final retest
  • Recourse
  • COT
  • Relinquish commission and COT
  • Release from CAF

The outcome you want is only one of those options, so I would tred carefully if you choose the deliberate failure route. Normally your staff will see through you. I do applaud you wanting to continue serving and not waste the CAFs time, but you do need to remember you were offered 4 years of education in exchange for service as an Inf O. If the CAF didn't care what trade you join as they wouldn't have included it in your offer for subsidized education.

If you fail enough PCs you will be sent to PRB. This PRB can have multiple outcomes:

• Final retest
  • Recourse
  • COT
  • Relinquish commission and COT
  • Release from CAF

The outcome you want is only one of those options, so I would tred carefully if you choose the deliberate failure route. Normally your staff will see through you. I do applaud you wanting to continue serving and not waste the CAFs time, but you do need to remember you were offered 4 years of education in exchange for service as an Inf O. If the CAF didn't care what trade you join as they wouldn't have included it in your offer for subsidized education.
The last two options are unlikely to occur if the member has obligatory service due to their completing the ROTP process. The CAF would rather keep them around for the 5 years doing joe jobs until their OS is completed. The first two options could happen, but why would the system force someone to go through the same process only to see the same results.

In a world where we are trying to retain individuals, especially those we have invested in, I would think we could partially accommodate the member. Now, unless the member is trying to get into something that isn't currently an Army MOSID, than I think they should resign themselves to remaining in that element, even as a Sig O, Log O, Int O, P Aff O, or HCA.

Back