• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dissaembly and transporting a pistol

ObedientiaZelum said:
huh?  A magazine with Storm written on it is illegal?
There is a type of 25rnd 10-22 mag (that is .22LR) that is prohibited simply because it was once advertised as fitting in a type of .22 pistol.  .22LR long guns have no magazine capacity limits but because this magazine was advertised for also fitting a pistol it is verboten... and the mag does not differ from other 10-22 mags in any kind of interoperability.

KevinB that was the case I was referring to, clearly your Google fu is stronger than mine!

Colin P said:
KevinB that was the case I was referring to, clearly your Google fu is stronger than mine!

Can you please provide a link to this case?

I had the transcript of the case when I lived in Ab, trying to find it again, without much luck

Brief synopsis

RCMP and CPS (Pre NWEST) seized Bruce McFarlands AR-10 as a prohibited weapon.  Eventually he proves it was a rare semi-auto only gun thus restricted by OIC, and a judge orders the gun returned, the gun got seized and the mag law came into effect, he refuses to take it with the mag, as there is a lot of BS in the trial with the CPS Firearms cell actually on tape removing peices of the gun to try to make it fire full auto, and he (McF beleives this is simply entrapment of possession of prohitied weapon WRT the mag).  Judge rules that disassembly of the mag will make it non prohibited -- since then its been Ab "rule of the land" (I may know a few folks who benefited from that ruling... :nod:)

I thought this might be the best place to ask the question rather than start a new thread.  As it IS about transporting restricted firearms.

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this.  But I'm moving from Ontario out to BC, and along with me comes a number of non-restricted and 2 restricted firearms.  The question is, what is the best method of transporting them out to BC with me.  Thanks to the federal government, I only have 3 weeks to pack everything, HHT, move and start work, so timelines are short.  My current thinking is to somehow get an SATT from the ON CFO and transport the restricted firearms on my person by plane, and have the 10-ish others follow up by ground, either by moving company.... which may not be a good idea, or ship via fedex/UPS despite the massive cost that will go with it.  Or say screw it and buy another couple of cases and ship everything by air, which would probably annoy some individuals with Air Canada.

Any insight, input or previous experience would be helpful.

Have you contacted the CFO?

When I was posted from Ontario to NS back in the mid 90s I went through the CFO and had no issues. My firearms (restricted, non restricted and prohib) had to come with me as did my ammo as the movers would not take it. Things may have changed since then but your first step should be the CFO and they should be able to set you straight.

That was the plan for early monday morning.  Probably right after I talk to brookfield and they tell me what I can and can't claim

Movers will not take Restricted or Prohibited firearms, ammunition, reloading supplies, or gun cleaning equipment.

Non-Restricted firearms can be taken by the moving company. I had no problems with them taking my firearms last time I moved, in fact I would recommend it for Non-Restricted firearms. I had mine in hard cases with locks, and everything went just fine. Each case gets its own sticker, and is accounted for. Before you case up your guns, take a note of their serial numbers and approximate value, and give them a good coat of oil as well.

As for your restricted firearms, I'd recommend a courier. Take a look at Canpar, they have decent rates.

Guy Incognito said:
As for your restricted firearms, I'd recommend a courier. Take a look at Canpar, they have decent rates.

Ding, ding, ding! That's the ticket right there. Have them pick them up at your residence here and deliver them to your residence there.

Transporting Firearms Safely

Restricted and prohibited firearms

Unload the firearms; and
Attach secure locking devices to the firearms; and
Lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container; and
Remove the bolts or bolt carriers from any automatic firearms (if removable).
Obtain an Authorization to Transport  (call 1-800-731-4000).

Funny how you absolutely need to attach a locking device to a restricted firearm. I would've thought rendering the firearm inoperable (IE removing a barrel or a bolt) and storing it in a locked case would be sufficient.

Back