• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enroll Permanent Resident / Naturalized Citizen

Hi all.

I have a real want to join the Canadian Army reserves I even know the regiment; The Loyal Edmonton Regiment.

I have a few questions.

I am British and came here 3 years ago as my wife is Canadian. I am Permanent Resident, and can apply for Citizenship in February; after that it takes a year to actually receive citizenship.

So I have some questions.

1 - Do I have to wait to receive Citizenship before I can apply?

2 - Is basic training still done on a reserve/part time basis? If not how is this achieved, my work will not let me take 10 weeks off work for basic training, plus I am a home student, so how can I study if away for 10 weeks? This is why I assume it is done on a part time basis. If so is basic training simply every evening?

3 - And the big one.... 4 years ago....I had a MINOR heart op... I had palpitations so they burned away some blood vessels around my heart, and it was 100% success.  This op was MINOR, was in hospital for less then 24 hours.  Will this effect my application? My heart is FINE, it functions, and works like everyone else's.  there is 0 chance of it reoccurring. The surgery I had was call "Ablation surgery" feel free to look it up.

4 - Am I allowed to join the Loyal Edmonton Regiment? or will I be drafted to wherever they want to put me?

I am sure I will have a few more, so thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out!

Please do not judge me for being british and not Canadian.  since coming here 3 years ago, I love this country more than my homeland of England.  I want nothing more than to serve Canada while earning my degree so I can one day say, I helped protect this land, which I can call my own.

Thanks everyone

Richard
:cdn: :yellow: :cdn:

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!!  I'll take the time to point you in the right direction, so you don't get hounded & discouraged from using the forum right off the bat.

Please use the search function, or look through the recruiting threads here in the forum.  A vast majority of your questions can be answered by using the search function, and looking through the recruiting threads.  (Also, the DND recruiting website has a TON of useful information, and a chat feature where you can speak directly to a recruiting officer.)

If the answer to your question is hard to come by, I strongly encourage you to call your local recruiting center or the national recruiting phone line.  Recruiting centers have the most up to date information about trades, openings, incentives, requirements, etc, etc.  And since they will be processing your application, its best to get the information straight from the horse's mouth.

Please don't be discouraged of using this forum, as there are multitudes of great discussion and information available.  However, when it comes to recruiting questions like these, someone else is just going to tell you the same thing I did.

Welcome to the forum!

1. You must be a citizen

2. BMQ (basic) can be done on a part time basis, generally on weekends. It is four weeks, not ten. This depends on your unit and what courses are being run during the year. If you can't get on a weekend BMQ, which is usually done in fall/winter, then you will be spending four weeks in exotic Wainwright. Your BMQ-Land and trades course will be full time, four weeks each. I have heard of weekend BMQ-Land, but it's rare. If your going LER, then your probably going infantry, and from what I understand, they are overhauling the whole training plan for Pres infantry after this summer, and it could just be one big course instead of two.

3. Nobody here can tell you how a medical issue is going to effect your application. Recruiting and the medical staff will make that decision during your application.

4. Yes, if you join the LER,  you are a member of that regiment until you decide you want to release, join a different unit, or go reg force.

Thank you Jey!!

Slightly bummed out due to the citizenship part, but I had expected it.  But oh well, looks like I have just over a year before I can apply, which means I have a year to get in great shape.

Even a year away, I am stoked, can't wait.

Thanks for your time answers my questions.

Richard
:cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :yellow: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

Very good plan. Everything is easier and less stressful when you are fit, especially on BMQ-Land and Infantry DP1. You don't wanna be the guy who asks the section commander to give his mortar to somebody else.

Hey guys,

This is my first post and I'm not sure if my questions have been answered already, but I couldn't find answers (I probably just chose the wrong keywords):

I want to join the Army Reserves in Manitoba. I'm not a Canadian citizen, but I do have my permanent resident card. Now on the cf website it says, that "Citizens of another country with landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status may be considered when the CF has need of their skill, if the position cannot be filled by a Canadian and national interest would not be prejudiced". I do want to become a citizen, but it would take a year and I was wondering if could join the reserves now and then switch to regular forces as soon as I get my citizenship. I also read somewhere, that you have to live in Canada for at least five years to be able to join the reserves. Is that true? Because I've been living here for 4 years and 2 months.

It would be great, if someone could help me out.
Thank You

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/doyouqualify-105

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen

2.Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
•Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older
OR
•Primary Reserve applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

3.Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
•Grade 10 or Secondaire III in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation

Here is a thread on permanent resident status as well...
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13555.0

Happy reading!!

Kafir said:
"Citizens of another country with landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status may be considered when the CF has need of their skill, if the position cannot be filled by a Canadian and national interest would not be prejudiced".

You already answered your own question. Unless you have some unique skill and are applying for a position that can't be filled by a Canadian citizen then your going to have to wait.

Retired FDO said:
You already answered your own question. Unless you have some unique skill and are applying for a position that can't be filled by a Canadian citizen then your going to have to wait.

Yeah it's just that I read some other posts, where people say you can join the reserves without citizenship and then some say you have to have lived in Canada for at least five years ... I would appreciate it, if someone could clarify all this.

Kafir said:
Yeah it's just that I read some other posts, where people say you can join the reserves without citizenship and then some say you have to have lived in Canada for at least five years ... I would appreciate it, if someone could clarify all this.

::)

The people that have been answering this topic have been in the Recruiting System as Recruiters.  They know what they are talking about.  If you read the posts here, and look at the dates they have been made, you will have your answer.  The answer will remain the same, no matter how many times you wish to ask the question. 

Hi Kafir,

I was not a Canadian citizen when I applied first time. I did my medical, interview, and all papaer works. I was selllected as a andidate by my trade branch.
Unfortunately, I could not get an offer.Iwas told that the CF  does not hire any permanant resident more. Instead of that, I was suggested to reapply to the reserves and was recommended to applywaiver of the Citizenship Requirement through the branch. I got a letter of citizenship waiver from the the CF Recruiting Group HQ. I reapplied with the letter to the reserve. I am just waiting for my swearing in ceremony.

Kafir, you have to remember 'Retired FDO's' recommendation. "Unless you have some unique skill and are applying for a position that can't be filled by a Canadian citizen then your going to have to wait. " It is the key.

Hey all,

my wife was a US Marine, she was 'kicked out' during their version of Basic Training because she hurt her ankle. Mind you, the USMC at Parris Island didn't want to put up really with recoursing, so she left and went back home. She came up here and hooked up with me, don't judge her for that ;), but off the tops of your heads, what type of scrutiny would she face for that IF she were to apply for PRes.

Thanks!

The only scrutiny she will face will be:

Does she meet the already stated criteria to join the CF?

HOW MANY TIMES do we have to say this?

b7197 said:
Hi Kafir,

I was not a Canadian citizen when I applied first time. I did my medical, interview, and all papaer works. I was selllected as a andidate by my trade branch.
Unfortunately, I could not get an offer.Iwas told that the CF  does not hire any permanant resident more. Instead of that, I was suggested to reapply to the reserves and was recommended to applywaiver of the Citizenship Requirement through the branch. I got a letter of citizenship waiver from the the CF Recruiting Group HQ. I reapplied with the letter to the reserve. I am just waiting for my swearing in ceremony.

Kafir, you have to remember 'Retired FDO's' recommendation. "Unless you have some unique skill and are applying for a position that can't be filled by a Canadian citizen then your going to have to wait. " It is the key.

So just to make this clear: You tried getting into the regular forces without citizenship, but they told you to try the reserves. What you are saying is, that I could join the reserves, but I need a special skill or the position can't be filled by a Canadian citizen? Sorry, I'm just a little confused. Would it be a good idea to go to a recruiting center and just talk someone there, or would that be a waste of time?

Do you have a "Special Skill" that no Canadian may have?  Is there a requirement for that "Special Skill" in the CF?  Can you get a Security Clearance?  (READ topics on Security Clearances.)

If you want to join the Infantry, I can assure you that you don't fill any special requirement that would warrant a Waiver.

If you are a Nuclear Physicist and want to become an Engineer Officer specializing in Nuclear Propulsion and there are no qualified Canadians for that position (if it exists), then you may be lucky enough to earn a Waiver to join. 

Does this clarify the criteria for you at all?

Sorry George,

what I meant to ask, is that since she was in the USMC, some of the papers to her release she's not able to gain access to. I was being hurried off the computer before I finished that post. I meant to say that since she was part of the American military, are there any extra hoops to that or provided we have copies of the release, it would be the same as a Canadian civvie applying.

Mudshuvel said:
Sorry George,

what I meant to ask, is that since she was in the USMC, some of the papers to her release she's not able to gain access to. I was being hurried off the computer before I finished that post. I meant to say that since she was part of the American military, are there any extra hoops to that or provided we have copies of the release, it would be the same as a Canadian civvie applying.

Again; if she meets the criteria to join the CF, there is are no problems.  I have had US Marines in my Reserve Unit in the past.  I have known several people who have been in the British Forces who have joined the CF as Regs or Reservists.  There have been members of other nations militaries join the CF.  I have a member working for me who was a Bulgarian Conscript, and another who was a Romanian Conscript.  The answer is still the same: DO THEY MEET THE CRITERIA to join the CF?

Let me add to George's answer:

As a former member of a foreign military, she will not only be required to provide proof of the minimum requirements to join the CF (Age, Citizenship, Education) but she WILL have to provide proof of honourable release from said foreign service (what would happen, should she actually be AWOL from the USMC and they walk onto the Cdn ship in Pearl Harbour to arrest a member of the CF!)

Also, as a former (possibly currently duel) citizen of the US, she will need to provide a criminal record search from the FBI to the recruiting center (they are reluctant to share info on US citizens on the subject)

Greetings,

I am Major Khurram Nawaz Malik, aging 37 from Pakistan Army Cavalry Regiment. After successful immigration process i will be landing at Calgary as a PR card holder with in 2-3 months. I have 16 yrs of Security & Law enforcement experience at my disposal. More over i also have experience in Operations against insurgency & terrorism, HR/Admin and transport maintenance. I have sufficient mandatory military/civilian qualification at my disposal.(details can be provided if required).

To join a military or military related service is my earnest desire due to honor and prestige.

You are requested to pls guide/advise me as to which field i may join, in what ever state/city.Pls do let me know the procedure as well.

Awaiting a positive encouraging reply.

Regards
Major Khurram Nawaz Malik

You need to be a Canadian Citizen. If you are not, you must wait until you have gained Citizenship before you can apply to the Canadian Forces.

Back