• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]

Hi all, somewhat of a silly question. What does one do at a sworn in? Can someone describe what is involved for that day? Is there a certain dress attire? Also, how long does the whole thing take? I'm getting sworn in in 3 weeks. Thanks.

It takes maybe a minute to do. You basically just swear an oath to your queen and country; one must dress nice of course.

For my swearing in to the reserves I was told it was semi-formal, however, I figured not everyone would dress semi-formal so I just wore nice leather pants, blouse, and dress shoes. Anyways, the three others wore street clothes (ie: baseball caps, sandles, jeans, t-shirts etc.) Luckily I didn't wear a gown...LOL. Anyways, we just went over some papers and signed them. Then went into an office, I put my hand on the bible and took the oath. When finished, I signed another piece of paper and that was it....whole thing took about an hour. I thought it was going to be a big event...semi-formal attire, families, photos, etc...but not at all. One of the guys had their mom wait in the car and my mom waited in the hall until the swearing in, when she just went in the room for about two mins and watched...anyways, reg force may differ...but reserves was very laid back...

When I was sworn in it was a big event, there was about 15 of us at the officer's mess in London.  Everybody was in suits or dresses and we all had family there to take pictures.  We signed all the paperwork about 2 days before, then at the mess the CFRC Det commander swore us in individually in front of everybody. Then we signed the oath of allegiance paper and had a few beers.

We were all officers so that may have had something to do with it, we were all going to the big summer BOTC in St Jean, there was 3 companies (12 Platoons) on my basic officer training.

Cheers

I'm being sworn in to the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment tomorrow night. I just want to know what I should wear. Is it more of a formal occasion or should I just wear my regular school clothes?

justyn

It is a formal occasion, therefore you probably should wear some nice clothes. These things don't happen to you every day. The army personnel there will likely be in dress uniforms, and your unit's CO may be the one swearing you in. It would be a good idea to look professional to make a good first impression. If you choose otherwise, I don't think anyone will hold it against you.

Really? Damn... when I was sworn in I had street clothes on, as did the other half dozen guys there, and the Lt that did was in combats. It was at the regimental colours, which was the only real touch of formality. Personally, for me, the swearing in was pretty meaningless. No one else from my swearing in was still around at the end of QL3. But, I'd agree - dressing decently is probably a good idea. Different strokes for different units.

What WAS a big deal was, after my QL3 grad, being taken aside with the rest of my regiment's graduates, and having the NCO's and officers give us regimental slip ons and our cap badges.

Enfield said:
Really? darn... when I was sworn in I had street clothes on, as did the other half dozen guys there, and the Lt that did was in combats. It was at the regimental colours, which was the only real touch of formality. Personally, for me, the swearing in was pretty meaningless. No one else from my swearing in was still around at the end of QL3. But, I'd agree - dressing decently is probably a good idea. Different strokes for different units.

Thats more formal then mine was... I got sworn in by myself on a bible in a back room.

Bob the builder said:
Thats more formal then mine was... I got sworn in by myself on a bible in a back room.

That is sadly too believable. The utter lack of understanding of the importance of military ceremony is something that never ceases to amaze me in some people who serve. While we don't need to do a full Retreat Ceremony every night, I do think that the least we can do is treat swearing in like the momentous occasion it is. IMHO this negligence is a holdover from the sick and insidious "it's just a job" mentality. Dress up, be proud, and have somebody take your photograph. It could be the start of something great. Cheers.

I don't think it's just a job.... I think it's a part time job.

AND thats why Im going reg force lol.

Best not go into the reg's thinking that way. There's a fair number of reg force soldiers who are former reservists who were every bit as professional in their part time capacity as they are in the fulltime role. A part time job yes, but keep in mind also that many of those part-timers who have medals on their chests and rank on their sleeves have also done the job fulltime themselves.........Professional soldiering is as much an attitude and lifestyle as it is a paycheque........

A word of advice, weather joining the reserves or reg force, demonstrating your profesionalism will be what makes or breaks your career.The adage "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" works equally well in the military.Theres a time to joke around but foremost if you portray a profesional soldier in all that you do it will be recognized.Nothing erks me more than a new soldier that is on the first month of a three year commitment and they are bitching about everything.Dont point out a problem if you cant back it with a solution.

IMHO swearing ceremony is one of the most important event in someone's military career.

I may be a traditionalist, (then again, I'm a monarchist too) but the oath you take to join CF is a personal one. A personal commitment stating that you will do your job to your fullest and best ability in Her Majesty's service until you take off the uniform for the last time. (To be faithful and bear true allegiance...)

An oath is like a super super promise. Break it and what worth does your word have to anyone? (Something I find lack in today's society. Making promises you can't keep)

I am in mind that the Oath of Allegiance should be committed to every member of CF's memory, as a reminder that we should strive to be professional soldiers, because we promised to be.

Bob the builder said:
I don't think it's just a job.... I think it's a part time job.

AND thats why Im going reg force lol.

You're joking, right? Because if that's your attitude, you won't find the Regular Army much of a "job" either. Cheers.

Hi, I'm swearing in this Thursday (the 27th) and I have a couple of questions regarding this big day:

first of all, they told us to be there by 8h30am, and the "ceremony" will begin at 11h00. What time should I expect to get out? Should I have EVERYTHING done before this day as my plane leaves on the 28th?

2nd question is about the ID card, there's a thread somewhere about the ID card but I don't know when you get it..  Is it something they do at swear in or later at BMQ? Same thing for the dog tags?

Thanks

Frank

I'd also like to know :p

I think the dog tags are issued to you a few weeks when you're at BMQ. Cause when they jab that needle in your arm they get your blood type :p. Everything else, i got no idea.

you get your id i believe week 2 or 3,, you dont get your dog tags. well i didnt get mine till i think week 6 right before going to farnham. because you need them to go in the field. is what i was told. but ya they have to take your blood, to get blood type and if you are rh pos or neg but other than that. it takes a while.

first of all, they told us to be there by 8h30am, and the "ceremony" will begin at 11h00. What time should I expect to get out? Should I have EVERYTHING done before this day as my plane leaves on the 28th?

Well that all depends on how many people are being sworn in and if the attestation officer is a talker.   Normally, I can swear in 20 people in about an hour and other CFRC/D might do it faster.   Yes you should   have everything that you can do done before that day.

2nd question is about the ID card, there's a thread somewhere about the ID card but I don't know when you get it..   Is it something they do at swear in or later at BMQ? Same thing for the dog tags?

During the first week you will photographed and blood tested.   ID and dog tags will issued at a later date.   Last thing you should be worrying about right now though.

Don't forget your photo id for the airport and don't forget the required paperwork for the swearing in day and the paperwork you need to take to St Jean.   Cheers and the best of luck. :salute: :cdn:

Back