• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

DAA said:
I would have to counter that with "What ever happened to the UPTA qualification?" 

It's been called the BFTA now for a number of years. Run by the PSP people out of their "school" in Borden. Couple weeks of learning how to run Expres tests....at least when I did it in 2003...,

There is also an Advanced Fitness course (AFTA).  I have no idea what it entails but our unit has a WO on it right now.

AFTA: https://www.cfpsa.com/en/aboutus/psp/dfit/courses_certifications/pages/advanced-fitness-training-assistant-%28afta%29-course.aspx

During this 2 week course you will learn how to:

• Explain the Tactical Athlete Training Program (TATP)
• Identify exercise safety concerns of advanced training methods
• Demonstrate/conduct TATP fitness conditioning training session
• Conduct obstacle course physical fitness training
• Conduct operational based physical fitness skills training
• Conduct competitive fitness games
• Conduct fitness based orienteering

Objective:

This course aims at instructing CF personnel on advanced type fitness training. It will inform them how to meet the needs of the tactical athlete. This operational and functionally based training will enhance the operational readiness of the individual and his/her unit.

Need to be qualified as a BFTA first. 

MC

Sat in on a briefing by the PSP senior fitness manager this morning, all about the new test.  It seems that the RCN / RCAF have elected to have PSP continue to administer the test, while the Army is going to test themselves (and those working for them, IE purple trades working in an army unit.)

He expressed some concern that this may eventually lead to a different application/interpretation of the standard.  My take on his less-than-subtle insinuations was that PSP are pushing to continue testing everyone, but meeting resistance from the army.

Cadwr said:
Sat in on a briefing by the PSP senior fitness manager this morning, all about the new test.  It seems that the RCN / RCAF have elected to have PSP continue to administer the test, while the Army is going to test themselves (and those working for them, IE purple trades working in an army unit.)

He expressed some concern that this may eventually lead to a different application/interpretation of the standard.  My take on his less-than-subtle insinuations was that PSP are pushing to continue testing everyone, but meeting resistance from the army.

I don't agree with PSP administering this test.  Not in the slightlest.  For example, yesterday, when I did my latest BFT, it was administered by PSP.  One of the MCpls stopped to preform first aid on one of her troop's that had fallen on ice and broken a bone.  She stayed with the troop for 15-20mins and came in 6 minutes over the 2hrs 26mins and 20sec allotted time limit.  PSP instantly failed this individual.  She was smart.  She went on to complete the drag and the march failure was brought to her CoC's attention who inturn took matters into their own hands and are now ensuring this member gets a passing mark. 

Another reason I don't think they should be able to administer this test is that they have never had to complete it and will never be asked/demanded to complete it. 

daftandbarmy said:
I find it appropriate that we have adopted an Army fitness test that is run indoors in a nicely heated, well lit, clean, controlled environment (you know - just like an office) which is exactly where we have to fight and win our most important battles.

Oh hang on, almost forgot:

:sarcasm:

Hey, it's often a matter of life or death to be able to crawl forward and post that deadly memo in the opponent's inbox!  >:D

Halifax Tar said:
IAnother reason I don't think they should be able to administer this test is that they have never had to complete it and will never be asked/demanded to complete it.

A better reason is that the salary of one PSP indivudual can by a Basic Recce Cours, or two LAV Turret Operator Courses, or a week in the field for a rifle company.  We need to focus on priorities here.

I can't wait to try this test.  I want to see if they'll let me do a headfirst baseball slide for the shuttle portion that you run back and forth going in and out of the prone. 

I am guessing that they will insist that you come to a stop first and lower yourself to the ground under control (burpee style); because this test is meant to simulate operational tasks, and that's exactly how people pepperpot.  :sarcasm:

Oh yes, we pepperpot almost  on a daily basis on ship.  It's especially fun on the nonskid...  Lots of basis for our day to day existence in these tests.  :sarcasm:

jollyjacktar said:
Oh yes, we pepperpot almost  on a daily basis on ship.  It's especially fun on the nonskid...  Lots of basis for our day to day existence in these tests.  :sarcasm:

Sailors never lift loads?  They never run?  They're never called to evacuate a casualty?

I guess, to make it appropriately maritime, we could include sliders after you finish the test as part of the standard...

jollyjacktar said:

I know your post was Sarcastic, but at the end of the day we all have to do it, and honestly from what I am hearing, is that this test is easier than the Expres Test (which was pretty easy).

These are tasks I will probably never perform, and if I am extracting someone from a vehilce it will most likely be from a civie accident.

jollyjacktar said:

I suppose there could be a falling up the stairs test.  :sarcasm:

Some more suggestions for NDHQ types could be:

1. Stopping the elevator for someone when it's already half closed. (at least 10 successful attempts without whining or bruising)
2. Occasionally having to take the stairs when someone else fails test #1. (only done if guy before you fails #1)
3. A 100m sprint to make sure you catch the 1500 bus. (single attempt pass/fail)
4. Quick change from CADPAT to DEU to Civi Suit back to CADPAT. (10 min limit)
5. Prepare a 20 slide ppt brief, rehearse and deliver. (60 min limit)
6. The endurance test could be answering 100 emails without getting out of your seat (it's probably harder than it sounds).

Any others?

True NDHQ one - keeping a straight face after noticing a diploma for a MBA from a "life style" university in which the major written course work involved signing a cheque on the "I Love Me" wall of someone higher up the food chain.

Old Sweat said:
True NDHQ one - keeping a straight face after noticing a diploma for a MBA from a "life style" university in which the major written course work involved signing a cheque on the "I Love Me" wall of someone higher up the food chain.

You mean like "an MBA from the University of Phoenix in Arizona", where all you need is a pulse, a chequebook and a padded resume?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
from what I am hearing, ...this test is easier than the Expres Test (which was pretty easy).

From what I have seen with my own eyes, a wide variety of very senior members (who are age appropriate for such lofty ranks) of both sexes and all sorts of levels of fitness were able to easily complete all components of this test, with very few of them breaking a sweat.  The only high pressure task seemed to be the "pepper-potting."  Upon completion, the general consensus was in accord with what you are hearing.

This was my observance - your mileage may vary.

dapaterson said:
You mean like "an MBA from the University of Phoenix in Arizona", where all you need is a pulse, a chequebook and a padded resume?

There was nothing on the application form that asked about a pulse...

To tie this in with the topic at hand (yes, I work miracles) and provide food for thought, someone has to take your pulse/blood pressure before the FORCE test... in some (army) units, in the absence of PSP staff, does this present a challenge? Particularly P Res units, but others as well who may have troubles finding a qualified individual to check these things?  While I am certain that any old fellow could be taught to take one's blood pressure / heart rate, I wonder what the liability issue might be in the case of a serious injury related to such things...

jollyjacktar said:

I don't pepperpot either, sig stores is too crowded for that. Its still a good measure of fitness.

Step 1:  Go to the local drug store and buy an automatic blood pressure/pulse cuff.  Under $50.  (Batteries not included)

Step 2:  Employ the gizmo you just purchased.

Step 3:  Listen to the caterwauling and complaining as another iron ricebowl clatters to the ground.

Cadwr said:
There was nothing on the application form that asked about a pulse...

To tie this in with the topic at hand (yes, I work miracles) and provide food for thought, someone has to take your pulse/blood pressure before the FORCE test... in some (army) units, in the absence of PSP staff, does this present a challenge? Particularly P Res units, but others as well who may have troubles finding a qualified individual to check these things?  While I am certain that any old fellow could be taught to take one's blood pressure / heart rate, I wonder what the liability issue might be in the case of a serious injury related to such things...

Easy answer - buy digital BP monitors.

PPCLI Guy said:
A better reason is that the salary of one PSP indivudual can by a Basic Recce Cours, or two LAV Turret Operator Courses, or a week in the field for a rifle company.  We need to focus on priorities here.
Oh, rest assured that the PSP empire isn't going anywhere, regardless of whether or not they get used. They're also paid out of NPF, so the better metric to compare their salaries against would be cases of beer...

Back