• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

CG, Ignore the crap, from those of us who are on here to support and help others on the CF Team, good luck and all the best.

4Feathers said:
CG, Ignore the crap, from those of us who are on here to support and help others on the CF Team, good luck and all the best.
Yes and maybe later we gather around the campfire and sing happy songs.

CDN Aviator said:
I saw the personal reason but you left some out.......

so.....
So i'm hoping you did since you decided to join a part of the reserves that requires you to complete basic traning full-time.
Aviator, how is it relevant for what reasons she VR'd in this particular discussion? Oh right, it isn't.

Nauticus said:
Aviator, how is it relevant for what reasons she VR'd in this particular discussion? Oh right, it isn't.

Took you a month to come up with that ?

Good job sport.

Celticgirl said:
And yes, I do know I will be going back to do basic training again, as I have mentioned several times in previous posts.

Thank you. My application was successful (as my tagline indicates).

Congratulations, and good luck.

:salute:

Don't know if this has been mentioned already but...my two cents regarding the express test...

This test should be one of the first stages of the application process(before medicals and/or interviews). You pass, you move on...you fail, you can re-apply in a certain amount of time.  No wasting of time, resources and money at the recruiting office and later on at BMQ for people who can't hack it. 

lateralus said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but...my two cents regarding the express test...

This test should be one of the first stages of the application process(before medicals and/or interviews). You pass, you move on...you fail, you can re-apply in a certain amount of time.  No wasting of time, resources and money at the recruiting office and later on at BMQ for people who can't hack it.

No wasting of time, resources and money at the recruiting centre?  Who's going to do the tests?  Where are they going to do the tests?  Most recruiting centres are in an office building with no gym.  Rent out space?  There goes the saving money idea.

And yes, it's been discussed here before.

PMedMoe said:
No wasting of time, resources and money at the recruiting centre?  Who's going to do the tests?  Where are they going to do the tests?  Most recruiting centres are in an office building with no gym.  Rent out space?  There goes the saving money idea.

And yes, it's been discussed here before.

Well they test reservists at the recruiting offices, no?  At least they do at the one here in wpg. Same test isn't it? 

No - the tests are different.  The test at the CFRC is a step-test, which takes up much less room than the 20 metre shuttle run, which is the test at CFLRS.

As well, in many places the test is not conducted at the CFRC, but at the contractors gym.

lateralus said:

Regardless of if I agree with you or not, the CF made a decision approx. 2 years ago to change from what you are suggesting to the way it is done now.

I would like to think that somewhere along the line, someone has been keeping stats on if this is/is not working for the CF/CFRG/CDA and subordinate units (CFLRS being one of them), and that despite the # of people ending up failing the EXPRES test the first week at CFLRS/other sub-units conducting BMQs (such as NRTD Borden), more people are passing it and completing BMQ per annum than before this was happening.  Which, I believe, was and is the goal. 

Increasing "throughput" sometimes has some undesired effects/spin-offs, WRT being one of them.

OK I'm going to sound off on this one as I feel after just completing my 13K ruck march and week 9 here at BMQ, I can speak with some degree of knowledge on the topic.  WFT as lame as it may sound is an amazing program.  Although I personally passed my express tests and have been on platoon since day one as was my goal, here in my platoon we have the typical comings and goings of candidates.  Of the candidates we have picked up along the way the best candiddates are those who came from WFT, as most of them have had to spend a bare miinimum of 4 (and usually much longer) weeks on the Warrior platoon and actually have some drive and commitment to being here and completing the course and contributing to the platoon as a whole.  Typically the worst of the candidates to join our platoon are those who passsed the Express test but were recoursed for what ever reasons.  And before we put it up to the sh**pumps who bombed elsewhere and are just filtering through the system, we have our fair share of sh**pumps who have managed somehow to stay on course from the begining too.
That sasid WFT has it's share of sh**pumps that will never make it out of the program too, but I honestly feel the program does indeed help people who are truly going to be an asset to the Cf but physically were unable to achieve the standards before hand for whatever reason.  And from what I've seen WFT is not an easy place to be the shacks are crappy bunks in trailers, training is hard and they get saddled with the WFT stigma everyday until they earn their way back onto Platoon.  I'm all for the WFT and the CF is definately better off for keeping these people arround.

You'll be meeting pumps for the rest of your career.Big fat ones,skinny little ones who can run quick...

Fact is I think I may have been institutionalized too long and disagree with this change.I have seen fit Pte's come in to slowly become fat useless Cpl's,and it makes me wonder what will happen when these people are not getting cuddled in the physical fitness aspect of soldering. '

However if someone decided that was the standard...well I guess that's it.If were "getting with" the times,how about letting people grow hair,not shave everyday...you know like "society".

I'm game for that.

How about we have a unio....nevermind.

So let me get this straight.

You have to pass 2 out of the 3 strength components (Push ups, sit ups and handgrip) and also have to pass the Shuttle Run. Is that correct?

Sorry if this is repetitive, I am trying to get ready for basic that I start on the 23rd of November.

Message me if you would like!

Thanks all :)  :salute:

Keekee said:
So let me get this straight.

You have to pass 2 out of the 3 strength components (Push ups, sit ups and handgrip) and also have to pass the Shuttle Run. Is that correct?

Yes.

But, you have to pass everything on week 8 to stay right?
Sorry I am asking a lot of questions, I just heard that things have changed and I am making sure that I am good to go :)

So if I pass situps and handgrip and pass my shuttle run, and get over the minimum 2, but not 9 on pushups, I can stay in my platoon?

Thanks for the info! I am complicated, but I am a woman, so it's expected  ;)

Keekee said:
But, you have to pass everything on week 8 to stay right?

So if I pass situps and handgrip and pass my shuttle run, and get over the minimum 2, but not 9 on pushups, I can stay in my platoon?

Yes and yes.

Hello,
This question may have already been asked and answered somewhere on this site, but I can't seem to find it.  I basically have 2 questions.

1. Is there RFT at all basic training establishments? or would you be sent to CFLRS if you fail in Victoria or Borden?

2. Is it completely random were you get sent for BMOQ? i am planning on joining as a MARS officer and i heard that MARS do there Basic in Victoria so i just want some clarification.

Thank you

The army shouldn't even have to implement these week one requirements to stay.  If you're wanting to be a soldier, you're taking on the responsibility to be one of the fitter people in Canada, given the requirements of the job.  I'm going Reserve, but if your going reg. F you should make sure that you can destroy the minimum standards prior to even arriving.  Instead of puking on the sidelines, you'll be shooting hoops after certain days (just an expression.  If your fit enough, even Basic won't destroy you. 

Want to improve your grip strength?  Either buy some hand grips and keep them by your bedside, work table, etc and hit them at every opportunity OR take up mountain biking.  It really helps and you'll see your hands getting bigger, stronger and the requirement should be easy, even if your wrists are skinny! 
Another option that helps is taking dumbells and instead of doing bicep curl, etc, simply use a curling motion with the weight in your hands.  Increasing your abdominal strength will give you the option of squeezing your abs to get more power into your total wrist squeeze.  Do exercises that will specifically hit the muscle groups involved areas your struggling to improve. 

Increasing the power in your wrists will also help you become better at pushups!  Having stronger abs helps EVERYTHING.  Eat a balanced diet!  Once you get into a routine prior to going to basic, you'll be doing everything they do at basic as your regular everyday training (not as lengthy in some cases obviously). 
It all comes down to how easy you want to make in on yourself.  You don't have to be the puker at basic, lol. 
Plus, if your already in great shape  when you go to basic, you won't have the stress of meeting the minimum requirements.  You'll get to enjoy the experience :) 

If you make training an integral part of your life (not just for basic) you'll find that by the end of basic you'll start to become even stronger, instead of just happy to get through it, as is the case with most I'm sure.   

If your worried about making the minimum requirements or passing at the end of eight weeks; make sure you don't.  Essentially, put yourself through Basic before you get there!  Just another day in the life of .... :)

Lol, hopefully this hits home with at least a few.  It's meant to be inspirational!

Back