• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Kind of like "Ew, get away...."

Trudeau dodges question of Liberal-NDP coalition while Scheer rallies against

https://globalnews.ca/news/6030766/liberal-ndp-coalition-election/

daftandbarmy said:
Kind of like "Ew, get away...."

Trudeau dodges question of Liberal-NDP coalition while Scheer rallies against

https://globalnews.ca/news/6030766/liberal-ndp-coalition-election/

I remember in 2008 when the discussion of a coalition came up. It’s something the Liberals will very much not want to be associated with. Granted my sample was a bunch of 19-22 troops overseas who couldn’t define ‘bicameral’ and whose ability to articulate their position was limited to putting their Velcro flags upside down on their uniform, but suffice to say it was a notion many were distinctly unhappy with.

Objectively it makes sense to the NDP to open the doors to the option. It makes sense to the LPC to keep those same doors firmly shut short of serious desperation.

Jarnhamar said:
Ever insightful, miss Now :)

‘Not sure of the intent here, but as I rarely wade into politics threads as it is, in the future I’d appreciate no further “miss”, “mrs” or “ms” preceding any adjective, noun or verb you may think appropriate. I can’t seem to recall any similar-styled interactions with any political thread regulars in the recent past. (And I’m not about to go looking for them.) It ain’t cute.

...The stuff being regurgitated as fact on reddit is crazy, but I guess mission accomplished for whoever is pushing the disinformation.

Agreed—dis & misinformation alike.

PuckChaser said:
...Stephen Harper was in power for 9 years, (2 majorities) and had a Conservative Senate and yet not a single restriction in gay marriage, abortion or forced religion on anyone.

True, although there’s still other reasons for certain groups to find fault with him...mainly the 13% reduction at one point from the defence budget at a time when we still needed those dollars. But that’s a different matter altogether...

BeyondTheNow said:
‘Not sure of the intent here, but as I rarely wade into politics threads as it is, in the future I’d appreciate no further “miss”, “mrs” or “ms” preceding any adjective, noun or verb you may think appropriate. I can’t seem to recall any similar-styled interactions with any political thread regulars in the recent past. (And I’m not about to go looking for them.) It ain’t cute.

I thought your post was very insightful and level headed as I do most if not all of your posts. I can only apologize and assure you I'll stick to specifically to your username in future.

[quote author=PuckChaser]

Fortunately, that theory doesn't hold water when you realize the boogeyman Stephen Harper was in power for 9 years, (2 majorities) and had a Conservative Senate and yet not a single restriction in gay marriage, abortion or forced religion on anyone.
[/quote]

Lots of fear mongering. Not a lot of substance to the crying and fears. The common response when I ask for examples or sources seems to be "**ck you nazi", probably while they wear Che Guevara T-shirts.

Jarnhamar said:
I thought your post was very insightful and level headed as I do most if not all of your posts. I can only apologize and assure you I'll stick to specifically to your username in future.

Thank you on all counts. I very much appreciate it.

Jarnhamar said:
Lots of fear mongering. Not a lot of substance to the crying and fears. The common response when I ask for examples or sources seems to be "**ck you nazi", probably while they wear Che Guevara T-shirts.

I saw someone on social media bring up the LPC plan to ban certain firearms.  It turned into a gang up asking the guy why he needed automatic weapons.  No one brought up automatic weapons except the mob.  The guy was quite level headed and attempted to argue his point.  He was called a nazi for it.

On another social media platform there is a fake news story about Trudeau and a rumoured affair that has gotten to the point of stupidity.  When it was shown that there was zero evidence it turned into a tin foil party with accusations of coverups and the media being shut down and payoffs to the individual in question. 

This is what it’s gotten to.  Sad.

I voted on Friday.  I picked the guy I liked best at the riding level.

The only consolation for me is that I will likely get my wish and we will have a minority.  This hopefully will purge the two current leaders of the big two. 

Seems likeable. 

Is a good representative of the community.  Volunteers, is a former public servant and is now a teacher.  Has a family and seems to relate more to the community than the incumbent. 

I will be honest, my decision came down to the wire. 

[quote author=Remius]

[/quote]

You didn't exactly come off that way, kind of seemed like your mind was set from the start. But I'm sure I'm wrong, glad you found someone you liked. Hopefully they don't support confiscation private property and don't make excuses for racist behavior etc..etc..

Remius said:
Seems likeable. 

They say, "Politics is just show business for ugly people."

And in show business they say, "Likeability is 90% of the battle."  :)

Thankfully, in this country, no one has a right to tell you how to vote.

Remius said:
Seems likeable. 

Is a good representative of the community.  Volunteers, is a former public servant and is now a teacher.  Has a family and seems to relate more to the community than the incumbent. 

Sooooo .... sounds like about a 100% better choice than any of the TEN (10) choices in my riding.

Seriously, ten people on a ballot does no one any favours. And none of them were superstars... or even average stars.

Brihard said:
I remember in 2008 when the discussion of a coalition came up. It’s something the Liberals will very much not want to be associated with. Granted my sample was a bunch of 19-22 troops overseas who couldn’t define ‘bicameral’ and whose ability to articulate their position was limited to putting their Velcro flags upside down on their uniform, but suffice to say it was a notion many were distinctly unhappy with.

Objectively it makes sense to the NDP to open the doors to the option. It makes sense to the LPC to keep those same doors firmly shut short of serious desperation.

For the libs, being open to it will be admitting they do not think they can win a majority. Now here is a scary thought what if a vote split happens on both sides (right and left) and we end with a 4 way hung parliament?

MilEME09 said:
For the libs, being open to it will be admitting they do not think they can win a majority. Now here is a scary thought what if a vote split happens on both sides (right and left) and we end with a 4 way hung parliament?

Not too worried about it. Any vote splitting on the right will be in favour of the Bloc. Left will be mainly Liberals / NDP. These are familiar dynamics, it’s just been a few years. I don’t fear vote splitting nor minorities. Greens will pick up a handful, Bernier maybe one. If JWR retains her seat she would probably support the LPC in most matters.

Whoever ends up heading up the minority will just need to play a weird game that we’ve been lacking for quite some time, called ‘building concensus’. We could use a couple minority governments, it might humble up some knuckleheads.

daftandbarmy said:
Seriously, ten people on a ballot does no one any favours. And none of them were superstars... or even average stars.
My riding has five;  one is a black hole (or some kind of 'hole'), rather than even an average star.    ::)

This just registered:
Remius said:
What did you like about him?
Seems likeable.
:rofl:
Flashbacks to some blogger that 1 or 2 people cite routinely, who 'provides insight...because he's insightful.' 

Jarnhamar said:
Hopefully they don't support confiscation private property and don't make excuses for racist behavior etc..etc..

Regarding race,

Even before #brownface, the 2019 federal election was always about race

A sitting prime minister who just admitted to multiple incidents of brownface, despite touting Canada’s multiculturalism and diversity on the world stage.

A Conservative leader whose candidate base includes those who align with racist and homophobic perspectives, and whom he refuses to denounce or remove.

A National Observer survey into the make up of candidates across the five political parties found that, other than the NDP, the remaining parties are not representative of Canada’s visible minority population — black, Indigenous or people of colour — which Statistics Canada finds amounts to at least 25 per cent.

The NDP clears this bar, as around 32 per cent of the NDP’s 310 candidates are visible minorities, 20 of whom are Indigenous and 22 who are Black Canadians.

Here's how the rest of the parties fare, at present, based on the candidates that have been designated on the website of each party:

•Over 20 per cent of the Liberal Party’s 316 candidates are visible minorities (14 Indigenous, 5 Black).

•Almost 18 per cent of the Conservative Party’s 337 candidates are visible minorities. The Tories have the lowest number of Indigenous (4) and Black (2).

•The Green Party is lagging behind in this regard with approximately 12 percent of their 325 candidates being not white (8 Indigenous, 5 Black).

•Of the 317 candidates nominated by the People’s Party of Canada, some 14 percent appear to be Black, Indigenous or people of colour. (Note that some 30 PPC candidates have no online presence or visibility and couldn’t be included in this calculation).
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/09/19/analysis/even-brownface-2019-federal-election-was-always-about-race

And gender,

NDP, 49 percent women candidates

Green, 47 percent women/non-binary/trans candidates

Liberals, 39 percent women candidates

Conservatives, 32 percent women candidates
https://www.chatelaine.com/living/politics/women-candidates-canada-election-2019/

mariomike said:
Regarding race, And gender,

Are we really at the point where the racial and/or gender make up of parties and candidates matters ? 

We are getting closer and closer to idiocracy every day...

Halifax Tar said:
Are we really at the point where the racial and/or gender make up of parties and candidates matters ? 

Maybe to some,

Jarnhamar said:
Hopefully they don't support confiscation private property and don't make excuses for racist behavior etc..etc..

A couple interesting tweets from Warren Kinsella:

Warren Kinsella
‏Verified account @kinsellawarren
2 hours ago

Brexit, Trump victories etc. all make clear that a significant segment of committed conservative vote regularly hides from pollsters/media because they don’t want to be called racist, etc. Then they show up on E Day. #elxn43 #cdnpoli
83 replies 151 retweets 544 likes

Warren Kinsella
‏Verified account @kinsellawarren
Oct 14

If voting #NDP gets you #LPC government, what’s the point of voting #NDP? #elxn43 #cdnpoli

131 replies 563 retweets 1,464 likes

Link

Halifax Tar said:

We are getting closer and closer to idiocracy every day...

Not just racial minorities as a general count, but looking into whether they are the correct racial minority or not. Notice they specified how many were of black, and indigenous ancestry apart from the percentage of minorities.

Calculatedpolitics has Libs reclaiming most seats, Cons still holding greater vote share and the BQ-NDP revving up.

Back