• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Haircut a "go" or "no go" according to dress regs?

Is my haircut a "go" or "no go" according to the quoted Dress Regulations?

• Yes (Go)

Votes: 69 68.3%
  • No Go

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Grey area

Votes: 16 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is my normal summer cut. I have never been jacked up for that in 21 years.

Boxkicker said:
That is my normal summer cut. I have never been jacked up for that in 21 years.

You never had his current RSM either!!  >:D

There is really only 2 votes that count - the RSM and the Presiding Officer.  If your hair still looks like the picture you had better hope you don't happen to see both of them soon.

Well, I got my verbal warning.. confirmed it with my WO that I didn't need to go out and shave my whole head or anything.. just keep it safe next time.

I wonder how many people around here are probably more "in the wrong" for too long hair on top than my "illegal" cut?  Oh well.. c'est la vie a ValCartier!!! Back to work!

Nfld Sapper said:
Yeah, I remember seeing the sun reflect off of it  ;D BTW hows Reg Force treating you ?

Reg Force? I got hair now bud... high n tight for me. No more teaching, marching NCO deal for me. I am loving it.  ;)

I remember once in Gagetown, I had this MCpl from the Galloping Hussars jack me up for the Marine hair cut. I told him I thought we has mad because he has the opposite hair cut... balding horse shoe... Boys did he ever shut up.

;D

Ref: http://www.cfsj.forces.gc.ca/ilqrl/engraph/join/anxf_e.asp

What's an "Artic mitt" ? LOL

Pretty bad when a leadership school website that stresses excellence and the "highest standard cannot use spell check, unless Artic is a word!

Bzzliteyr said:
I wonder how many people around here are probably more "in the wrong" for too long hair on top than my "illegal" cut?  Oh well.. c'est la vie a ValCartier!!! Back to work!

Don't forget about the burns, too  >:D

Good thing I found this thread today...reminded me to cut my hair.

No1 on the top...
Does anyone else shave their 'burns off?

Well, I'm glad that I get my hair cut in the "military style"  ;D  So, if it is already short when you arrive at BMQ, do you have to get it cut or what?

I was always told to never have my hair cut shorter than a 2 1/2 by my Sgts Major. However, as I'm an officer I think I'm expected to have hair or something to that effect.

As with all these issues, I always defer to the RSM.

Lerch said:
Good thing I found this thread today...reminded me to cut my hair.
No1 on the top...

I cut my hair every morning when I shave - facial, side burns and the rest of it, too.  Same style everyday - high and gone.

Lerch said:

I know a lot of guys that keep theirs, and push the boundaries of the book, but I don't much like 'em.

Course, with a 0 on the sides and back, keeping burns would look real weird.

Lerch said:
..how so? Wax your scalp so that you're then bald? ;)

When I did my BMQ, even if your hair was the perfect example of the book, you went to the base barber...even if he didn't cut anything, you paid him.

I followed that link.. seems to apply to the recruit school, for students.. I am not a recruit, nor am I at a school.  For that matter, I just came from a school where for ten years my haircut was fine.

I understand this one might be a little less tapered than it normally is, guess the barber was having an off day and I didn't notice.. until sunday when the gel was out!!!

IIRC correctly the CF Dress amendments brought out by the CF Dress Committee chaired by CF CWO states:

Men: Hair shall taper-trimmed at the back. Style and colour shall not present a bizarre, exaggerated, or unusual appearance. Sideburns shall not extend below a line horizontally bisecting the ear. Moustaches shall be kept neatly trimmed.

Women: Hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar. Braid, if worn, shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly.

The bold, underlining of the words are mine.  These adjectives permit each RSM to define a standard for their soldiers.  At a Unit, Base or HQ where the RSM looks great with a Marine-style haircut, then it becomes the standard.  If he does not then it could be seen as unusual or bizarre.  The interpretation of dress regulations should be left to the chain of command and not the individual. 

This policy in its many previous forms has been challenged via the CF Grievance Board and the Cdn Human Rights Tribunal.  The result of these challenges is the carefully chosen adjectives stated above for both Men and Women.   

Hmm... I french they refer to the marine "high & tight" flat top as the "coupe mitaine"
A "mitten cut" reminiscent of the fuzzy patch on your arctic mitts ... and not much else.

Remember that at that time, it was illegal to shave your head and people were charged for having inflicted on themselves an "self inflicted wound".... really.

So the fella who wrote up Vern's reference is undoubtedly french OR interpreting his french superior's instruction .... to the letter.

In time, hair regulations will mellow and the flat top "high and tight" will get the official Okie dokie.... till then - patience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back