• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harper wants a pretty white plane ...

jollyjacktar said:
My first reaction when I saw the new paint job was Conservative Party of Canada.  The blue and the way it is used seems similar to my mind.  And yes, I f***ing well do mind them blowing an extra $50K on this new paint job when there's belt tightening being done forced upon us Forces wide.

IIRC from way earlier in this thread, the repainting was scheduled for when the plane was going to be repainted anyways, as part of regular on going maintenance.  The PMO's office figured hey since you are going to be repainting, how about changing the colour scheme. Ergo, the $50k was going to be spent regardless.

No, the $50K is identified as the incremental cost above the normal cost of painting.

dapaterson said:
No, the $50K is identified as the incremental cost above the normal cost of painting.
Exactly.  And why I'm pissed off.

Strike said:
Not a fan myself.  I understand how the RCAF, in essence, belongs to the government, but labeling a plane with GoC makes it seem that our primary duty is to fly them around.  Pretty sure that plane is used for a lot of other flights that don't involve politicians.  In fact, that exact plane was used to fly CF members to Lebanon in 2006 if I recall correctly.

I've had friends medevac'd from Landstuhl on the 'PM's Plane'

Loachman said:
No.

427 Squadron belongs to SOFCOM.

Aircraft assigned to Op Athena came under CEFCOM.

Aircraft assigned to future operations overseas will come under CJOC.

The organization currently known as the RCAF is not a "service". It is an environmental command, formerly known as Air Command, and one of three commands that currently do or could have aircraft assigned. The roundel was not an "Air Command" roundel prior to the renaming.

The only service, currently, is the Canadian Armed Forces.

Regardless, the roundel is still a national symbol, rather than a service one.
Understand where you are coming from but, and semantics aside, as an example,  Naval units attached to similar organizations on deployment still fly the "RCN Ensign" and are part of the RCN hence the term "RCAF Roundel". Even the website uses the name.
As for the colours? This has been in the works for some time. Someone already displayed a pic of the Snowbirds and I recall as a little kid seeing them for my first time at the CNE asking my father why they were red, white and blue. In my mind, they were the Thunderbirds in a different airplane...again, 10 year old mind thinking.

Someone please provide a good reason why this colour scheme wouldn't be appropriate:

Baden  Guy said:
Someone please provide a good reason why this colour scheme wouldn't be appropriate:

Not enough blue, apparently...

Uh....that color scheme was initiated by the Liberals, and emphasizes the Liberal colors. So............the Conservatives are not the only ones to play on color.....

And now a word from Mr.Mulcair: ;)
"Mulcair added that if the NDP forms the government in the 2015 election, he would not be painting the plane orange."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/vip-jet-makeover-is-new-livery-a-tribute-to-canadian-history-or-the-pc-party-1.1316022#ixzz2VddbVTOO

In fairness to the critics, red and white are our official national colours, this we have this flag ...

o-GREAT-CANADIAN-FLAG-DEBATE-facebook.jpg

... rather than this one ...

PearsonPennant.jpg

... which was, I understand, then Prime Minister Pearson's personal choice.

"Mulcair added that if the NDP forms the government in the 2015 election, he would not be painting the plane orange."

Too bad.  I always liked the old CP colour scheme.

Loachman said:
No.

427 Squadron belongs to SOFCOM.

Aircraft assigned to Op Athena came under CEFCOM.

Aircraft assigned to future operations overseas will come under CJOC.

The organization currently known as the RCAF is not a "service". It is an environmental command, formerly known as Air Command, and one of three commands that currently do or could have aircraft assigned. The roundel was not an "Air Command" roundel prior to the renaming.

The only service, currently, is the Canadian Armed Forces.

Regardless, the roundel is still a national symbol, rather than a service one.

They're under the operational control of those commands, yes. 443 Sqn is also under the operational command of MARPAC. However, they're all operated by the RCAF. Not the RCN, not the Army.

I don't disagree that it's a national symbol, either. ALL service symbols are national symbols, however that one is used exclusively by the RCAF, just as  the white ensign astern on HMC ships is a national symbol used by the RCN exclusively.

427 is not OPCON to SOFCOM; it is under full command.

Larger image for one of the red/white/blue aircraft color schemes (Boeing CH-113 LABRADOR):

10401-Labrador-(2).jpg

Source: http://www.canadianwings.com/Aircraft/aircraftDetail.php?LABRADOR-170

Myself I like the new color scheme, if you are going to use color vs a drab monochrome paint job may as well update it from a 1970's look as well. An example would be Delta Airlines 1970 vs 2013:

Delta_Air_Lines._Boeing_727-200.CAE.70%27s.jpg

Delta%20A320-200%20N376NW%20%2807%29%28Grd%29%20JFK%20%28KP%29%2846%29-S.jpg

DBA said:
Myself I like the new color scheme, if you're going to use color vs a drab monochrome paint job may as well update it from a 1970's look as well.

FTFY

However that aircraft does not say GoC on it, but RCAF.

dapaterson said:
427 is not OPCON to SOFCOM; it is under full command.
According to the CFOO, it belongs to 1 Wing.
CFOO, schmoo.....I've seen 427 folks wearing the CANSOFCOM badge on their DEU; with the NDHQ focus on names and badges and 1812 pins, I'd assume that the bling wins the debate....

DBA said:
....if you are going to use color vs a drab monochrome paint job....
I'm pretty sure the paint job was in colour, but the film was black & white.  ;D

I saw the new livery up close today at the departure of Chalk 2 of TF 2-13.  It is actually quite stunning.

PPCLI Guy said:
I saw the new livery up close today at the departure of Chalk 2 of TF 2-13.  It is actually quite stunning.

Stunning as in "My Eyes!  The goggles, they do nothing!!!" ? 

;)

Dimsum said:
Stunning as in "My Eyes!  The goggles, they do nothing!!!" ? 

;)

Or Stunning as in " this airplane would look even more stunning if it were painted grey, streaked with exhaust and leaking a bit of hydraulic fluid.  Oh yes, and rotor blades would not hurt, either."?  ;)

Back