• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harper wants a pretty white plane ...

Canadian.Trucker said:
RCAF colours perhaps.

"RCAF colours"?

What are those?

The RCAF painted its transport aircraft white, with red/white/red lightning stripes down each side.

"RCAF colours" were, then, the same as the Liberal party colours.

So far, there's no orange or green...

Loachman said:
.... The RCAF painted its transport aircraft white, with red/white/red lightning stripes down each side ....
Funny you should say that - the Info-Machine (which has caught up with a Fact Sheet - also attached) calls that a "similar paint scheme" to the new one.  Here's the old scheme ....
boeing.jpg

.... and here's the new one:
polaris.jpg

"Similar"?  Discuss :D

Personally, this is the paint scheme I want:

o-HELLO-KITTY-570.jpg

Especially on the CF-18s...

milnews.ca said:
Funny you should say that - the Info-Machine (which has caught up with a Fact Sheet - also attached) calls that a "similar paint scheme" to the new one.  Here's the old scheme ....
boeing.jpg

.... and here's the new one:
polaris.jpg

"Similar"?  Discuss :D
Lose the blue from the paint scheme and yes, I'd call it an updated version of the classic RCAF / early CAF Air Transport colours. But the huge amounts of blue just scream "Conservative Party" to me. Blue is not one of our national colours, and the blue used isn't even RCAF blue.

As for the person who commented about the national flag on the vertical stabilizer and the doors as overkill, all RCAF aircraft carry the national flag on the vert. stab. I agree that on the doors as well is probably overdoing it - afterall, there's a honkin' great "GOVERNMENT OF CANADA" label along the sides, as well as RCAF roundels. I don't think anyone is likely to mistake it for the VIP plane from Watusiland.

Ah! How I miss steerage seats in the old CC177.

And Jacky Tar: few Canadian civilians (and I dare say even fewer foreigners) associate the roundel with the military, unless it is clearly on a military plane.

And most Canadian civilian airlines have Canadian flags on their planes.

To me, the biggest difference between the old 707's and this scheme on the Airbus is the identifier: The 707 says "Canadian Armed Forces", the current one says "Government of Canada".

As far as I am concerned, if the PM has qualms with being clearly seen to be traveling under the care of the RCAF, then he should hand the damn job over to the Transport Department.

And what about the times this plane is not used for VIP's? I am no pilot, but ask those who are: How would you like to take someone for a "surprise" visit to a place like KAF in that thing? To me it just screams TARGET !!!!

I am with SeaKingTacco on this one: Keep the camo colours. Period.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
And what about the times this plane is not used for VIP's? I am no pilot, but ask those who are: How would you like to take someone for a "surprise" visit to a place like KAF in that thing? To me it just screams TARGET !!!!

Civilian planes fly in and out of Kabul and KAF all the time.  If the threat warning were high enough, than they would fly in a military transport.  I work at Kabul Airport I see planes belonging to foreign governments with various livery all the time.

Jacky Tar said:
as well as RCAF roundels.

There is no such thing as an "RCAF roundel".

The roundel is a national military aircraft marking.

It was also worn on Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army aircraft prior to 1968, and those of the various flying organizations afterwards (Maritime Command had Maritime Air Group, Mobile Command had 10 Tactical Air Group, and there was Air Defence Command and Air Transport Command as well, between then and the formation of Air Command in 1975.

Loachman said:

It was also worn on Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army aircraft prior to 1968, and those of the various flying organizations afterwards (Maritime Command had Maritime Air Group, Mobile Command had 10 Tactical Air Group, and there was Air Defence Command and Air Transport Command as well, between then and the formation of Air Command in 1975.

So you're saying that when, in the interest of history, Tac Hel returns to its Army home, Army helicopters will continue to wear the roundel?

dapaterson said:
So you're saying that when, in the interest of history, Tac Hel returns to its Army home, Army helicopters will continue to wear the roundel?

They did in the far distant past.

And still do in the correct parallel universe.

I'm still looking for that wormhole.

Loachman said:

However, since the RCN Fleet Air Arm no longer exists, nor does the Army Aviation Corps, it is only the RCAF that continues to operate military aircraft for Canada. Thus, the RCAF roundel.

No.

427 Squadron belongs to SOFCOM.

Aircraft assigned to Op Athena came under CEFCOM.

Aircraft assigned to future operations overseas will come under CJOC.

The organization currently known as the RCAF is not a "service". It is an environmental command, formerly known as Air Command, and one of three commands that currently do or could have aircraft assigned. The roundel was not an "Air Command" roundel prior to the renaming.

The only service, currently, is the Canadian Armed Forces.

Regardless, the roundel is still a national symbol, rather than a service one.

My first reaction when I saw the new paint job was Conservative Party of Canada.  The blue and the way it is used seems similar to my mind.  And yes, I f***ing well do mind them blowing an extra $50K on this new paint job when there's belt tightening being done forced upon us Forces wide.

jollyjacktar said:
My first reaction when I saw the new paint job was Conservative Party of Canada.  The blue and the way it is used seems similar to my mind.  And yes, I f***ing well do mind them blowing an extra $50K on this new paint job when there's belt tightening being done forced upon us Forces wide.

*cough*  VA cutbacks to name one  *cough

And you know what is going to happen the first time it flies into Winnipeg. ;D

(I would have said when the Jets win the cup, but that would just be silly  >:D )

Not a fan myself.  I understand how the RCAF, in essence, belongs to the government, but labeling a plane with GoC makes it seem that our primary duty is to fly them around.  Pretty sure that plane is used for a lot of other flights that don't involve politicians.  In fact, that exact plane was used to fly CF members to Lebanon in 2006 if I recall correctly.

Back