• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopters and Money

I know its been a few months since anybody has posted on this topic, but procurement of capital projects has always been a strong interest of mine.

Would someone in the know, or someone from the world of flight, be willing to share their ideas on how we could procure aircraft in a way that is more efficient than currently exists?  Or structure the Air Force (Or Army and Navy) in a way that makes more efficient use of our aircraft and resources?

What sparks my interest in hearing what you guys have to say about it is my frustration with what appears to be a huge amount of beauacracy when it comes time to purchase aircraft.

The 16 new model chinooks come to mind, as well as the Cyclones.  Purchasing aircraft, especially small numbers of aircraft, shouldn't be this complicated...should it?  How do countries with larger air forces procure their aircraft?  Even with parts/training/support - the huge amount of time for all the red tape & beauacracy to clear must dramatically increase costs - thereby reducing the number of aircraft we can procure?

As I said, I know this topic has been dead for a few months...but I am posting in the right thread.  Suggestions/Ideas from those in the know?? 

CBH99 said:
  How do countries with larger air forces procure their aircraft?

Take a look at how the US manages to make a disaster of almost every major program these days and you will see that this is not a "Canada-only" problem.

Look up US programs such as KC-X, CSAR-X, LCS, FCS, the ever-expanding costs related to the JSF program, political fighting over F-22 production.......

OH58D was intended to be an interim machine until RAH66 entered service. Then it was supposed to be an interim machine until RH70 entered service. Now, over more than two decades and a few billion bucks later, it's intended to be an interim machine for the foreseeable future.

CDN Aviator said:
Pilots,as of right now, are all officers. Officers require degrees. The argument of wether they need one to fly is irrelevant.

I have a university degree. I want to fly. How relevant is my "higher" education? Well, it was in music  ;D

That said, I've always been strongest in math and science which I think is critical if you want to fly.

ezbeatz said:
That said, I've always been strongest in math and science which I think is critical if you want to fly.

Being able to coordinate you eyes, hands and feet are what i consider critical

I dont ever evaluate how good one of my pilot is by his math skills or science knowledge.

Good judgment is also critical.

Good judgment comes from experience.

Experience comes from bad judgment.

Loachman said:
Good judgment is also critical.

Good judgment comes from experience.

Experience comes from bad judgment.

Ohhhh....I just knew there was a reason for doing all those dumb things...... ;D

Bad judgment is, by far, the more fun choice of the two...

CDN Aviator said:
Being able to coordinate you eyes, hands and feet are what i consider critical

I dont ever evaluate how good one of my pilot is by his math skills or science knowledge.

Hand-eye cordination is a physical attribute that's definately needed but I was refering to academic qualities, of which math and science is by far the most important for flying.

ezbeatz said:
math and science is by far the most important for flying.

What do you fly again ?

Yeah thats what i thought.......::)

CDN Aviator said:
What do you fly again ?

Yeah thats what i thought.......::)

Oh right CDN Aviator, trigonometry, physics, chemistry, etc., those are completely useless for flying. Totally forgot man. I mean, why would a pilot need to be good with numbers?

ezbeatz said:
Oh right CDN Aviator, trigonometry, physics, chemistry, etc., those are completely useless for flying. Totally forgot man. I mean, why would a pilot need to be good with numbers?

Hey man what do i know, i dont have a music degree or jump out of planes. I just fly on a 160 000 lbs multi-engined warplane and trained do everything but physicaly move the controls........

Chemstry ? Its a wonder how i managed to have the airplane pointed in the right direction, i have always sucked at chemistry.....

::)

ezbeatz:

You do realize that you are arguing with CF airmen who have thousands of hours of flying experience, don't you?

I spent four years jumping out of military aircraft - and I have never considered that that experience gave me any insight into flying the damned things - I was just happy to get the hell out of them.

I think you're attempting to learn something here - and you've come to the right place for it.  Just pull in your horns a bit, stop being argumentative - and ask your questions.  I think you'll learn more that way.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

ezbeatz,

Any education is good, provided it's used in the right way.  People with no science background did make it through pilot training.  It is NOT rocket science.  As it's been mentionned before, hand/eye coordination is way more important.  The hability to quickly process information is a close second, IMO.  That, you can get with any kind of education.

ezbeatz said:
Oh right CDN Aviator, trigonometry, physics, chemistry, etc., those are completely useless for flying.

That's the most intelligent thing that you've said so far.

I went to an airshow last summer and met an interesting fella....

I'm standing there, next to my airplane and he proceeds to tell me that the plane can fly backwards. When i told him that it does no such thing, he told me that he had read in a book that the engines could go in reverse and that i obviously have no clue about my own airplane. he then left with his freinds and told them all about how the thing can fly backwards.......

Some posts in here remind me of the incident.......

Dont get me started about the one guy who was convinced that the MAD in the tail of the aircraft pulls submarines out of the water......

Whoever said that theres no such thing as a stupid question has never been to an airshow.

That's priceless.
One time...in Germany.... I saw CH-53s flying upside down in formation too.

Standing by the F-18 at Abbotsford Airshow:  is that a military aircraft?

SupersonicMax said:
Standing by the F-18 at Abbotsford Airshow:  is that a military aircraft?

No, it's a commercial plane.  For very exclusive (and rich) clients.  ;)

Back