• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do the families cope during a tour? Tips and pointers for first timers.

I meant to add he is going in the capacity of EOD/IED, and we have been together 9 years.

em

emmiee,
might I suggest that you try to contact a family support centre at the base your EOD type is stationed.
The family support centres are interconnected
Given the you are still married though living on opposite sides of the border, I must assume that you live nearby.
Through the Cdn family support centre you might be able to get an "in" to a US group...

It doesn't cost anything to ask...

Good luck!

Thanks Geo, 

I will try what you suggested next time I'm there.  It is a 10 hour drive between where I am where he is located.

emma

http://www.pmfrc.org/index-eng.htm

You should not need to do a physical visit.
Give em a call.....

This thread has not been active in awhile, but my son goes on his first tour to Afghanistan this month and I am looking to connect with people. Thanks.

Not a problem Mom....
These guys are still around  http://www.mfrc-ncr.org/english/links_MFRCs.php
offices in Bagottville, St Hubert, St Jean & Valcartier (for the guys going over at this time)

Thanks a lot. We live at the other end of the country, though. I am in touch with the MFRC locally. I was just looking here for other  English speaking families who may have soldiers who will be outside KAF.

Oh... I'm sure that some will be along presently.
This forum is widely read from coast to coast - good luck

Im engaged to a man who is serving proudly in Kaf. Seeing my dad go and come back twice, I figured this was going to be pretty easy for me to say goodbye and then wait patiently as he returns. WRONG!! Since he has been "in country" at KAF, he does call on a regular basis. but all he discusses is how soldiers are cheating on their wives, how wives are cheating on their husbands, how openly this has been agreeded upon with both parties. He has told me how female soldiers are basically stalking him (lol). I sometimes wonder if its better to just let him go, have his fun, and if he comes home to me, then get re-engaged. We do get an opportunity (20 minutes) to talk on the computer, and he does call, but recently he says the tower was blown out, so he calls from a land line which is timed. Has anyone faced this? Or am I blowing this completely out of porportion??

It sounds to me like your fiance is doing his best to keep in touch with you, and is also doing his best to keep you informed of some of the stuff that is going on. At the same time, he's dealing not only with the stress of being deployed, but also the stress of having to deal with women trying to throw themselves at him. And he's coming to you, talking to you about it, so that you can help him deal with that. Letting him go "have his fun" sounds to me like the last thing that both you and he want.

Please, credit him with the fact that he's acknowledging these issues, instead of doing what some might do, and try to hide what is going on. He seems to be doing his best to keep in touch with you when he can. When you do get a chance to hear from him, do your best to reassure him that you both love him and trust him.

jessica have you thought of talking to someone about this?  I mean someone via the Canadian Forces assistance program, or someone at the family support centre?  If you're to the point you're thinking, regardless of how seriously or not, of breaking up the engagement I suggest you speak to someone, it may help you sort things out.

Jessica,

I understand exactly since my boyfriend has told me about all that.
He will be deployed in november and of all the stress it might bring I do have to say this issue is primary to me.
We have talked about that and we will do it again.
So here come my advise, Talk with him, let him know how you feel but don't dramatize things. He's talking to you about it to me it's a mark of trust so return this trust to him...

Like others have said, go to a support group at the familly center it's so important to sort your feelings before he come's back home...

I wish you good luck and keep faith in him...

Sophie

This is an old thread, but also particularly helpful for those (members and spouses) going through long career courses (2-6 months).

Any opinions on whether the time away is any 'different' or if it's more or less the same?

ARMY_101 said:
This is an old thread, but also particularly helpful for those (members and spouses) going through long career courses (2-6 months).

Any opinions on whether the time away is any 'different' or if it's more or less the same?
I can't speak for my wife but it is different.  The idea of being on a course (where accidents can happen) vice a tour is very different because of the potential for being in harms way and the dangers that a tour has.  Communication while on course when weekends and possibly evenings are available to have longer phone calls and easy access to internet either on the base or at the local coffee shop provides more time to talk about day to day life.  I know for my wife she went out of her way while I was deployed to not talk about any issues at home (and she was pregnant at the time with our first child), and just focus on the positives so that I would feel helpless or overwhelmed being so far away.  It's more of a mindset of knowing what your spouse is going through where they are than anything.

Back