• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry training in Air Force

cyl2chan

Inactive
Reaction score
How often and how much are aerospace control officers and air combat system officer receive infantry type of training? Do they get any of it at all? While I wanna be a AEC, I’m not sure if a lack of infantry training will be disappointing when I’m in.

If you want to be infantry, go infantry.  The two jobs you listed are Air Force, the furthest thing from the infantry

None. The closest you can get is to be in the Tactical Aviation branch of the RCAF, where the odds are high that your Squadron would be co-located with an Army Brigade, and you could ruck march around the base to your heart’s delight.  AECs, however, do not serve in the Aviation branch.  As Rhodesian noted, if you are that keen on things Infantry, then consider that as your career path.

Regards,
G2G

cyl2chan said:
How often and how much are aerospace control officers and air combat system officer receive infantry type of training? Do they get any of it at all? While I wanna be a AEC, I’m not sure if a lack of infantry training will be disappointing when I’m in.

Generally, zero.  However, some AECs and ACSOs can ask to become a Joint Terminal Attack Controller, in which case yes.  But that's usually after your first/second tour as an AEC/ACSO, so you're talking 5-6 years after you get in. 

I'm about 99.5% sure you'll change your mind about the "lack of Infantry training" by then.  You can quote me on that.

Dimsum said:
Generally, zero.  However, some AECs and ACSOs can ask to become a Joint Terminal Attack Controller, in which case yes.  But that's usually after your first/second tour as an AEC/ACSO, so you're talking 5-6 years after you get in. 

I'm about 99.5% sure you'll change your mind about the "lack of Infantry training" by then.  You can quote me on that.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed infantry training as well...and I’m pretty sure the Infantry appreciated the training as well, understanding quite clearly that in 60 seconds, they could be dropped off three grid squares in the wrong direction... ;D

Good2Golf said:
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed infantry training as well...and I’m pretty sure the Infantry appreciated the training as well, understanding quite clearly that in 60 seconds, they could be dropped off three grid squares in the wrong direction... ;D

And here I was thinking all along that that policy was an SOP, not an accident :)

Uhhhh, personally I wouldn't classify what the WASF does as "infantry" stuff, at least not on the Wings I've been at.

daftandbarmy said:
And here I was thinking all along that that policy was an SOP, not an accident :)

SOP if we didn’t like you.  Accident if you were a good egg and we were just having an off day... ;)

Good2Golf said:
SOP if we didn’t like you.  Accident if you were a good egg and we were just having an off day... ;)

You've nicely explained the differences between the RAF and the AAC :)

Eye In The Sky said:
Uhhhh, personally I wouldn't classify what the WASF does as "infantry" stuff, at least not on the Wings I've been at.

I've been in charge of a WASF before - they stick to manning the fence.

Back in the late 70s I got shipped off to the Tactics wing at the Combat Arms School for a month to prepapre for and teach a two-week course for RCAF officers to teach them everything they need to know about the Army. We even had a half day in the field for a looksie at the gear and a tiny fire power demo.

Do they still do that?

:unsure:

Back in the late 70s I got shipped off to the Tactics wing at the Combat Arms School for a month to prepapre for and teach a two-week course for RCAF officers to teach them everything they need to know about the Army. We even had a half day in the field for a looksie at the gear and a tiny fire power demo.

Do they still do that?

:unsure:
Not sure about current status, but from the mid-80s to at least the early-2000s, (then) CTC ran the LOFT (land ops familiarization training) course, primarily for (new to) Tac Hel personnel and some local newly posted in personnel (had a Padre on my course).

Not sure about current status, but from the mid-80s to at least the early-2000s, (then) CTC ran the LOFT (land ops familiarization training) course, primarily for (new to) Tac Hel personnel and some local newly posted in personnel (had a Padre on my course).
LOFT - that's what it was called. I've been wracking my brains trying to remember what it was called.

🍻

There is also a new Air Reserve occupation called AOS Tech. In addition to doing parks, starts, towing and fuelling; they are supposed to do Force Protection, as well.

There is also a new Air Reserve occupation called AOS Tech. In addition to doing parks, starts, towing and fuelling; they are supposed to do Force Protection, as well.

A trade to do the most monotonous aspects of the air tech world, but also let’s add WASF to it! I wonder how that program is doing…

Back