• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iranians Provoke USN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Close call for the Iranians. The USN warships were about to open fire.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080107/ts_nm/usa_iran_ship_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Five Iranian Revolutionary Guard boats harassed and provoked three U.S. Navy ships in the Strait of Hormuz, a major oil shipping route off the Iranian coast, over the weekend, CNN reported on Monday.

Well, it isn't the 1st time AND it certainly won't be the last.

Ohhh to be back in the days of sail when the order to fire "grape shot" to get their attention.

Clearly an attempt to get a reaction from the US ships to gauge their ROE's and possible tactics. In this case sitting tight worked, I hope the next time they react swiftly so the Iranians can not deduce a pattern.

These guys are going to get a quick Martyrdom if they're not careful.

Iranian boats harass U.S. navy ships: Pentagon
Last Updated: Monday, January 7, 2008 | 2:23 PM ET
CBC News
Three United States navy ships on their way to the Persian Gulf were harassed and provoked by Iranian boats, a Pentagon official said Monday.

The U.S. cruiser, destroyer and frigate encountered five boats believed to be from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard's navy at 8 a.m. local time Sunday while traversing the Strait of Hormuz, a Persian Gulf shipping channel, a navy statement said.

"Five small boats were acting in a very aggressive way, charging the ships, dropping boxes in the water in front of the ships and causing our ships to take evasive manoeuvres," a Pentagon official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record. "It is the most serious provocation of this sort that we've seen yet."

A CNN report said the ships came within 180 metres of a U.S. vessel.

Defence Department spokesman Bryan Whitman said the Iranian boats were operating at "distances and speeds that showed reckless and dangerous intent — reckless, dangerous and potentially hostile intent."

He said the incident lasted 10 to 15 minutes.

Its clear that ships that are operating alone are at risk. Nor do I think you can let the IRGN get closer than 200m before firing at least warning shots.

geo said:
Well, it isn't the 1st time AND it certainly won't be the last.

Ohhh to be back in the days of sail when the order to fire "grape shot" to get their attention.

Firing your CIWS into them constitutes the same effect methinks.

I think this is intentional provocation. Or is it just that they got away with kidnapping those Brits and now feel emboldened to try on the USN?

Methinks that they figured they had little to lose by acting in this manner.
What is the worst case scenario..... they'd be shot at & destroyed?  In sha Allah, if god wills it.

Pentagon video.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=79f_1199833701

Ahhh, good times.  Brings back memories of a few Straits of Hormuz transits of my own...

T6....

"Danger Close" comes to mind. Videos clearly show them close enough to cause serious concern. Next time, I should think shots be fired. If the IRG think they can get that close again, I don't see why they would not try to get closer.

I think the consensus is that while the skippers of the vessels showed restraint it is important to open fire in the future.The Iranians were clearly practicing attacking USN vessels. A clear message needs to be sent to get these incidents stopped.

Iran could be searching for a Causis Belli for internal political reasons, or attempting to influence US internal politics (a series of provocations or even a clash at sea will affect the behaviour of the outgoing administration and perhaps the outcome of the US elections.

This could also be a signal to the Arab nations of the region, announcing that Iran now believes itself capable of assuming the mantle of "Regional Hegemon".

As we have learned to our cost, it is never safe to assume that other people share our motivations or "rational" weighing of potential outcomes. A serious analysis needs to start from the Iranian point of view and see what the Iranians believe they can gain by this behaviour.

Was watching the news - looking at Navy footage of the Iranians zipping around in their little boats.... challenging the USN to a game of "chicken"!

attempting to influence US internal politics (a series of provocations or even a clash at sea will affect the behaviour of the outgoing administration and perhaps the outcome of the US elections.

No doubt about it.  One or two little boats would be a small price to pay for the excellent political fallout.
Now, what if the crews of these boats were arrested?  ;D

Revolutionary Guardsmen captured by the great Satan?

In sha Allah!  If god wills it, it will happen.... in the world of public opinion of the Persian Gulf, the US will always be wrong.... Period!

Seen the videos, adn its obvious that the iranians were up to some type of provication. I am sure if they came any closer, they would have been destroyed.

The Iranian radio messages too were direct and threatening. They demonstrated clear and present aggression towards US Forces routinely patrolling in international waters.

Just another reason Iran should not be allowed to gain nuclear energy.

The clock ticks down towards a dirty great big clash, thats guaranteed, and with an administration change in the US this year, it will be a challenge for whoever gets in.

My opinion.

Wes

No win situation Wes...

Darned if you do
Darned if you don't

lol, the CIA did a pretty piss poor job at fabricating this video. "I am coming to you....you will blow up"??!!!  ::)

Just another propaganda stunt to help try to justify an illegal war. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Iran is no longer selling oil in US dollars...hmmm.

Ummm.....

And you back up your claim by.............. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back