• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jagmeet Singh, probably the biggest political loser?

That's a campaign ad disguised as a message.

Every political message is a campaign ad in disguise, but yes, he is campaigning. One phrase caught my attention "... when we stand united, we win ..."; sounds very similar to VP Harris' call of "when we fight, we win". It would not surprise me if Singh's move is timed to piggyback off the popularity swing of the Harris/Walz campaign. It's an easy play to cast Poilievre in the Trump role and echo a similar narrative of 'saving democracy'.

It would not surprise me if Singh's move is timed to piggyback off the popularity swing of the Harris/Walz campaign.

If so, his timing is a bit off:

These pollsters were right in 2016 and 2020 - and they think Harris has already lost her mojo

By A.G. Gancarski
Published Sep. 3, 2024, 6:57 p.m. ET

Most polls show Vice President Kamala Harris leading in the swing states that will decide the election. But two Southern state pollsters are bucking the trend - and they’ve got former President Donald Trump up big.

The polling by InsiderAdvantage and Trafalgar in seven battleground states finds Trump on a path to 296 electoral votes - suggesting that Harris has already lost her momentum.

More at link . . .

I am surprised that Singh has actually, and finally, done this. I did not expect it. I would not be surprised, though, if this turns out to be a stunt and he finds a way to weasel out of it.

I am not surprised about the Harris/Walz trajectory. I fully expect them to flame out. Both have mounds of baggage, and no successes to hold up.

This is a Very Good News Day.

Every political message is a campaign ad in disguise, but yes, he is campaigning. One phrase caught my attention "... when we stand united, we win ..."; sounds very similar to VP Harris' call of "when we fight, we win" ...
Or it could also be similar to union/labour sentiments of a similar look/feel ....
... or even more generically?

Sometimes, a labour narrative cigar is just a cigar :)

reading between the lines, Singh was facing an armed revolt in caucus and polls showed that they were going nowhere but down as long as they were hitched to Trudeau. They are simply launching the lifeboats while they can.
Every political message is a campaign ad in disguise, but yes, he is campaigning. One phrase caught my attention "... when we stand united, we win ..."; sounds very similar to VP Harris' call of "when we fight, we win". It would not surprise me if Singh's move is timed to piggyback off the popularity swing of the Harris/Walz campaign. It's an easy play to cast Poilievre in the Trump role and echo a similar narrative of 'saving democracy'.

So the NDP have abandoned the formal commitment but will go ‘vote by vote’ going forward. Not a super profound change in real terms, but it will give them more leverage to pressure the LPC on major policy planks. I still wouldn’t bank on an election in the short term, but unhitchhing themselves formally from LPC may bump their support. It definitely ups the pressure on Trudeau.

If so, his timing is a bit off:

These pollsters were right in 2016 and 2020 - and they think Harris has already lost her mojo

By A.G. Gancarski
Published Sep. 3, 2024, 6:57 p.m. ET

Most polls show Vice President Kamala Harris leading in the swing states that will decide the election. But two Southern state pollsters are bucking the trend - and they’ve got former President Donald Trump up big.

The polling by InsiderAdvantage and Trafalgar in seven battleground states finds Trump on a path to 296 electoral votes - suggesting that Harris has already lost her momentum.

More at link . . .

I am surprised that Singh has actually, and finally, done this. I did not expect it. I would not be surprised, though, if this turns out to be a stunt and he finds a way to weasel out of it.

I am not surprised about the Harris/Walz trajectory. I fully expect them to flame out. Both have mounds of baggage, and no successes to hold up.

This is a Very Good News Day.
reading between the lines, Singh was facing an armed revolt in caucus and polls showed that they were going nowhere but down as long as they were hitched to Trudeau. They are simply launching the lifeboats while they can.
Singh pulled out of the agreement. He didn't say he was pulling the trigger on an election. Every confidence vote will be looked at on a case by case basis.

Those are weasel words. Nothing has changed. He cut the marriage as a means for expedient popularity. He's still not willing to mitigate the damage trudeau will do while he remains in power.

So the NDP have abandoned the formal commitment but will go ‘vote by vote’ going forward. Not a super profound change in real terms, but it will give them more leverage to pressure the LPC on major policy planks. I still wouldn’t bank on an election in the short term, but unhitchhing themselves formally from LPC may bump their support. It definitely ups the pressure on Trudeau.
The CPC will start introducing wedge issues, trying to split the progressive/left parties.

Singh is trying to plug 10 holes in the damn with two fingers. It's too late for him and the NDP. The longer this charade goes on, the farther down both the LPC and NPD will go. If Trudeau had any semblance of sanity, he'd drop the writ now and try and save some seats. Otherwise they're getting obliterated.

Can back to work legislation be put forth as a confidence vote? Surely there are some national strikes looming in federally regulated workplaces.

Can back to work legislation be put forth as a confidence vote? Surely there are some national strikes looming in federally regulated workplaces.
Given the GoC just bargained with the unions that this would be part of their new contracts a lot of them just signed, then almost immediately walked it back, surprised they haven't taken them to court for bad faith negotiation.

Given the GoC just bargained with the unions that this would be part of their new contracts a lot of them just signed, then almost immediately walked it back, surprised they haven't taken them to court for bad faith negotiation.
+10 on that.

+10 on that.
In practical terms, given that they also cut huge amounts of desks out so that the PS can't actually all come in 3 days a weeks (with military 5 days a week) and have somewhere to actually work out of is just weird. Last I checked the math, if you set the work week at M-F with core hours from 9-2 (allowing flex hours around that) you can't fit people into 40% of the space when they are in 60 or 100% of the time.

Some of those buildings were sold, others had the lease expire and everyone moved out, so it's not like they can easily walk back that part either. This has got to be the least enforced order I've seen, but it just doesn't actually work.

Singh’s pension is a red herring. He’s in a very safe NDP riding and is in no danger of not being reelected.
OK, you'll have to clarify for me.
Where did I mention his pension, other than to answer BG, in this whole thread?
What does your answer have to do with the CPC proposing a non confidence vote and seeing Singh's response to it?

Back