• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau - Timelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
recceguy said:
Just taking a stab in the dark here, but I bet his politician brother was on the phone pretty quick, telling him to STFU ;) ;D

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing.  I bet little brother is laying low.

Alexandre Trudeau is coming to Regina.

So how many tickets can I put you guys down for to come hear him speak?  :D

They're a deal... $75/seat.  :-X

http://www.bigbrothersofregina.com/

milnews.ca said:
Highlights mine, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

MONTREAL - Canada's "aggressive" war in Afghanistan is all about "teaching lessons with weapons" and will leave nothing behind "except the blood we've lost there," the journalist son of late prime minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau said Thursday.

"Our aggressive military activities in Afghanistan are foolish and wrong," said Alexandre (Sacha) Trudeau, 34.

"The Pashtun (people) have extremely different values than ours, values we may not agree with in any case, but it's not our business to try and teach them lessons with weapons," Trudeau told Canwest News Service.

"We're going to have to leave the place or there'll be nothing left of us or of whatever we've done, except the blood we've lost there after we leave. So it's better we leave now."

Trudeau knows the Canadian military firsthand, but not through combat. In the mid-1990s he trained as a reserve officer at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick and joined the Royal Canadian Hussars in Montreal, one of Canada's oldest army reserve regiments, with the rank of second lieutenant.

Shortly after that, he embarked on a career as a globe-trotting journalist and filmmaker.

Asked Thursday whether he now wants to make his next film in Afghanistan - an idea he floated last year on The Hour, a CBC talk show hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos - Trudeau replied "No."

"I don't think I'd go to Afghanistan," he said.

"What I want to do is leave it to younger filmmakers to show who the Pashtun are - people we falsely call Taliban, in most cases - and why we really have no reason to tell them how to live their lives, why Afghanistan should be left to its own devices."

Trudeau said he had approached several TV networks to make a film about the country. Each one turned him down, probably because in 2006 "I made a film about Canadian politics, Secure Freedom, about Canadian security certificates," that was highly critical of the Harper government's anti-terrorism measures.

"Networks have shied away from allowing me to go to Afghanistan when I had the chance, and now I don't think I'd want to go - it's too dangerous," Trudeau said.

So much lessons to be learned:
"Never ever judge a book by its cover"
"It is the best to have tried than failing because you never tried at all"
"That is why you never made it that far"
and so on...
:mad:

Pilon said:
Alexandre Trudeau is coming to Regina.

So how many tickets can I put you guys down for to come hear him speak?  :D

They're a deal... $75/seat.  :-X

http://www.bigbrothersofregina.com/

Uh, thanks but if I want to donate to Big Brothers, I'm thinking this isn't my first choice of methods....

What do you guys think will happen to the Canadian Armed Forces if, no, when Trudeau gets elected? I think there will be big budget cuts, and at least one base would probably get shut down.  :'(

I think there will be an investigation on how you knew Trudeau would be elected for certain.  Almost like you knew there was ballot tampering going on.

Trudeau already is elected. He has been a sitting Member of Parliament for some time now. I assume you are asking what will be the impact of Trudeau becoming PM if the Liberals form a government while he is still the Leader of the LPC?

Did you guys seriously not know that was exactly what he meant? Or did you need to burn off the snark budget for the day?

To answer the question posed; I think it will be bad, very bad. Massive budget cuts, irrevocable loss of infrastructure and capability in favour of an "expanded focus" on "peacekeeping".

Shrek1985 said:
Did you guys seriously not know that was exactly what he meant? Or did you need to burn off the snark budget for the day?

You sure are snarky tonight.

JT elected PM?

Mandatory puffing especially for HQ staff as their heads are already in the clouds.

Honestly, I think JT has seen what the men and woman of the CF have done, and is impressed. His father:

When the Second World War broke out, Trudeau, at age nineteen, was expected like all young men of his age, to contribute to the struggle against Nazism. As a student he was required to join the Canadian Officers Training Corps but, opposing conscription, he refused to do so and never participated in the war effort. He chose instead to support the Bloc Populaire an anti-war group. Canadian author, Mordecai Richler relates that at that time, Trudeau, wearing a Nazi helmet and uniform, would ride his motorbike around the lakeside where Richler and his Jewish friends had their cottages. This was perhaps a foreshadowing of things to come, pirouetting behind Queen Elizabeth, sliding down banisters and giving voters the "finger salute".

Another account:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau
Trudeau earned his law degree at the Université de Montréal in 1943. During his studies he was conscripted into the Canadian Army like thousands of other Canadian men, as part of the National Resources Mobilization Act. When conscripted, he decided to join the "Canadian Officers' Training Corps", and he then served with the other conscripts in Canada, since they were not assigned to any overseas military service until after the Conscription Crisis of 1944 (after the Invasion of Normandy that June.) Before this, all Canadians serving overseas were volunteers, and not conscripts.

Trudeau said he was willing to fight during World War II, but he believed that to do so would be to turn his back on the population of Quebec that he believed had been betrayed by the government of William Lyon Mackenzie King. Trudeau reflected on his opposition to conscription and his doubts about the war in his Memoirs (1993): "So there was a war? Tough... if you were a French Canadian in Montreal in the early 1940s, you did not automatically believe that this was a just war... we tended to think of this war as a settling of scores among the superpowers."[6]

In an Outremont by-election in 1942, Trudeau campaigned for the anticonscription candidate Jean Drapeau (later the Mayor of Montreal), and he was thenceforth expelled from the Officers' Training Corps for lack of discipline

Mister Toddler said:
So, I have questions about the Canadian Armed Forces, and what do you care what I've done for exercise. Lets face it Trudeau will become PM sooner or later. So, if you're not going to answer the question then don't comment.
Yes you do have questions.  Many are coming across as very immature.  Of course Trudeau will follow on and fulfill the Trudeau dynasty in Canadian Politics as we know the Canadian public has little to no choice in good leaders.  Trudeau is a leader in name only.  We always get the least of the worse choice as leader.  He still has a long way to go, and who knows; perhaps the Liberals will find a 'real' leader someday to replace Trudeau and they will win.

Mister Toddler said:
So, I have questions about the Canadian Armed Forces, and what do you care what I've done for exercise.

Simply that it's interesting that you said you've done both special forces PT workouts and then ask what the weight limit is.
Lets face it Trudeau will become PM sooner or later. So, if you're not going to answer the question then don't comment.
You're asking people to answer a question in which you've already decided half the answer. That's not open minded or logical.

George Wallace said:
Yes you do have questions.  Many are coming across as very immature.  Of course Trudeau will follow on and fulfill the Trudeau dynasty in Canadian Politics as we know the Canadian public has little to no choice in good leaders.  Trudeau is a leader in name only.  We always get the least of the worse choice as leader.  He still has a long way to go, and who knows; perhaps the Liberals will find a 'real' leader someday to replace Trudeau and they will win.
How is it immature to ask questions?

I'm a mesomorph but we can still be friends ;)

I think George was referring to some of our comments, not yours.

It's pretty tricky to answer what Trudeau will do if he is elected as PM considering politicians don't have such a great record at making good on their campaign promises.

The way you worded your question sounded like you were trolling to me, hence the response.  Not too sure what fight club is though.

Mister Toddler said:
How is this trolling?

Sorry didn't mean trolling, that's what I get for posting while watching a 4year old and 11month old, I was telling the older one she was being a troll while typing and I apparently can't do two things at once tonight.

What I was trying to get at is you are asking loaded hypothetical opinion questions and when someone's opinion does not match yours you get upset and  having a mini meltdown and telling them not to bother commenting on the thread.

I have some friends telling me that Justin Trudeau will be a better friend to the CF than Harper.

Yeah, right.

They insist that having Andrew Leslie on his staff proves this and claim to have read many articles on the subject. However, when I try to find these, I cannot find word 1 on JT's defence policy.

The only supporting argument I can find is a *very* tenuous link to the idea that, historically the CF suffers as much, or more under short-lived conservatives governments as Liberal one's. I find this theory difficult to swallow and not well supported by history, however.

Can anyone point me to some black and white facts on exactly what JT's defence policy, if elected might be?

I don't expect anything in the way of policy from the Liberals until next year. I'm not sure they'll say much on defence; parties rarely do - a few platitudes, unless we have troops in contact with an enemy.

Hmmm, history...

I look out into the vehicle compound and I see our majestic fleet:

LSVW - On it's fourth Prime Minister and third governing party

It's pretty new though

MLVW - 7th PM four changes in governing party.  But at least it's not crap.  Russia was still the enemy when it rolled into service so I guess field capable was still important back then.

I know of no serving machine gunner older than his weapon.

I've seen little difference in governments.  We made hay in ten years of sunshine and before that we suffered in ten years of darkness.  The foundations of both those periods were laid by previous governments.  That foundation outside of wartime is based on money not policy.  More specifically, how little money can be spent to minimize the ridicule of our allies.

That concludes TNO's Moral Minute.  Enjoy voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back