• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave

Idle curiousity, but is that an expression for releasing or...... :unsure:

In my world, pulling the pin is a necessity for a preflight. It’s a strange expression when you try to consider its context. Is everyone in the CAF a grenade waiting to blow up?

The CAF makes it hard on itself by not allowing leave accumulation. It doesn't even follow it's own rules most of the time by allowing the CO to authorize accumulating up to 5 days annually to a max of 25 for reasons of operational necessity.

This whole thread is an example of the CAF working harder not smarter.

If they cashed out excess leave that at a least would make a few people happy. I prefer banking leave myself but they should allow for both just like in the PS.

If they cashed out excess leave that at a least would make a few people happy. I prefer banking leave myself but they should allow for both just like in the PS.
Oh sure…bring up an example of others getting even more favorable treatment than the CAF vis a vis leave. 😉

Oh sure…bring up an example of others getting even more favorable treatment than the CAF vis a vis leave. 😉
It’s give and take. Cash out and banking is something the CAF can do but they refuse to.

But yeah lol. the PS has a pretty good leave plan compared to most.

For reference it is 3 weeks of vacation for the first 8 years and then you go to 4 weeks. Takes 16 years to get to the next increase. And I think it’s 18 years to get to 5 weeks with more increments beyond that.

That being said you do get 1 personal and one volunteer day plus some days for family related.

There is no block leave. And only a few places do shortened days for long weekends which is technically not a thing in the PS.

The CAF has a better sick leave plan though. I doubt anyone can compete with that.

And the public service can go in the hole on leave.

And the public service can go in the hole on leave.
Sort of. That is up to management discretion. I’ve seen sick leave denied on that basis. And people will be on the hook to pay back if they leave without accruing it back. It’s not an automatic thing and is case by case.

I know people who went 250 in the hole years ago and never got out of it. It's like living in over draft. I've never seen it questioned.

I also know people who use their sick leave like it's annual. Will suck to be them when they need it.

I know people who went 250 in the hole years ago and never got out of it. It's like living in over draft. I've never seen it questioned.
I would suggest that they had managers that weren’t paying attention. Those people will have to pay that all back. I had one report with 18 years in with almost no sick leave banked. I discussed this with her and let her know that I was tracking but that she could get herself in real trouble.
I also know people who use their sick leave like it's annual. Will suck to be them when they need it.
Had a colleague do that. Would use as much sick as she could so she could cash out excess leave. Zero balance every year. The consequences of that can be severe.

A wise person told me to bank 13 weeks of sick as fast as I could. That’s the time it takes to qualify for LTD if you need it. Otherwise you get leave without pay until LTD kicks in. Same for anything that requires less than 13 weeks, you’d have to burn vacation and what sick leave you may have.

I’ve seen that happen. It’s isn’t pretty when they try and go the union route and get told they can’t do anything for them.

Of course there are exceptions for certain circumstances. But yeah, some folks aren’t too bright some times.

A wise person told me to bank 13 weeks of sick as fast as I could. That’s the time it takes to qualify for LTD if you need it. Otherwise you get leave without pay until LTD kicks in. Same for anything that requires less than 13 weeks, you’d have to burn vacation and what sick leave you may have.

Sick Bank ( plus vacation, Floating Stat Holidays and lieu days ) for six months. Then LTD. That pays 75%. Sick Bank tops it up to 100%.

After 35 years of service, cash in your Bank for the nine month gratuity and GTFO.

Accumulation of Sick Leave
The unused portion of an employee's sick leave shall accrue for their future benefit.

YMMV.

Sick Bank ( plus vacation, Floating Stat Holidays and lieu days ) for six months. Then LTD. That pays 75%. Sick Bank tops it up to 100%.

After 35 years of service, cash in your Bank for the nine month gratuity.

YMMV.
Sick leave can’t be cashed out in the PS. Those days are long gone. And good luck trying to take two or three years sick to retirement. That isn’t really done anymore either.

Sick leave can’t be cashed out in the PS. Those days are long gone. And good luck trying to take two or three years sick to retirement. That isn’t really done anymore either.
Same. I'm my company, you can bank as much sick time as you want, but when you retire, it's just gone, and there's no way, other than actual illness, I'm going to be able to use all that sick time by just pretending to be sick.

I'm going to what others have suggested, bank as much as I can as fast as I can to be able to cover me to LTD, but I think my company offers STD to bridge the gap already, so I might not need to bank that much.

Same. I'm my company, you can bank as much sick time as you want, but when you retire, it's just gone, and there's no way, other than actual illness, I'm going to be able to use all that sick time by just pretending to be sick.

I'm going to what others have suggested, bank as much as I can as fast as I can to be able to cover me to LTD, but I think my company offers STD to bridge the gap already, so I might not need to bank that much.

Well I mean the whole point of sick is for when you're sick. Not to cash out or be used as retirement leave.

Hopefully you never get sick enough to need it.

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer she burned up a lot of her sick leave with Canada Post, but having all that sick leave meant she didn't have to worry about money when she was going through treatment. She got back to work before LTD kicked in, so it also made her life easy in that way.

Didn't make the rules. Just played the game.

The Sick Bank Gratuity was negotiated by the union shortly after WW2.

It deferred compensation to arrange a collective agreement without affecting taxpayers - at the time.

It was a political way of selling an agreement to the taxpayers - at the time.

The cost eventually "came home to roost" as longtime members retired, and future taxpayers were left to bear the cost. That's when the complaining started.

The Sick Pay Gratuity applies only to members hired prior to July 31, 2009.

Members hired after July 31, 2009 are on something called, "Illness or Injury Plan (IIP)".

Don't know how that works.

Well I mean the whole point of sick is for when you're sick. Not to cash out or be used as retirement leave.
I believe there are some bargaining units in the broader Ontario public sector that still accumulate sick time and can get paid out for at least some upon retirement. Governments, and I assume private sector employers, generally dislike accumulated leave, particularly unlimited or high limit ones, because it represents a financial liability on the books. You bank a day at $10/Hr at the start of your career and cash it out at $50/hr 30 years later.

The OPP stopped accumulating sick leave in, I believe, the late '70s. Prior to the new, non-accumulative system, your paid sick leave was only what you had accumulated. We had a young lad who broke his leg playing baseball. He was diagnosed with some kind of medical condition that caused his bones to knit very slowly. He burned up his little bit of sick leave, vacation time and everything else quite quickly and had to go on LTIP (LTD) in his 20s. Long term disability isn't really designed to come back from, but he eventually did.

There are some people who retire with multiple months of unused sick leave.

There are some who suffer from tragic illness the day before and day after they go on vacation.

There are some who get sick at the sight of a sidewalk they have to shovel.

And there are some with ill-defined sickness that lasts 1-2 days a week in their last year of work.

Some of those are managerial issues...

Back