• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LGBTQ Stuff (split from other political threads)

why not appeal then?
Good question. Based on what's been done so far, and how, maybe some have less-than-full faith in the process? Not worth it given IOC's good to go as is?

Haven't found any public info on why the Algerian withdrew the IBA appeal in 2023 (the Taiwanese athlete didn't appeal the IBA stance), and I'm happy to be educated if any such info pops up, so only the boxer and/or the Algerian Olympic Committee'll know more.

did Lin yu Tang beat a Russian too?
Late find: According to NPR, Lin yu Tang's bronze ended up finding a new home like the Algerian's win (highlights mine) ....
... (Lin) also won a bronze medal at the 2023 world championships, but lost it after she was disqualified. It went to the opponent she had defeated in the quarterfinals, Bulgaria’s Svetlana Kamenova Staneva ....
Also looks like Lin is supposed to face off against the same boxer this time round, too.
Optimists'll say the wins ended up to whoever was supposed to get them, as it should be.

Pessimists'll say it seems odd that the beneficiaries of the ban are Russia and a former allied country.

The truth may be something somewhere in between.

OP edit to ack Bulgarian membership in NATO

Last edited:
Late find: According to NPR, Lin yu Tang's bronze ended up finding a new home like the Algerian's win (highlights mine) ....

Optimists'll say the wins ended up to whoever was supposed to get it, as it should be.

Pessimists'll say it seems odd that the beneficiaries of the ban are Russia and a current/former allied country.

The truth may be something somewhere in between.
I find the Russian revenge hypothesis unconvincing. Likely with the mess of boxing regulation and the lack of impact on Olympic eligibility favours the decision to not appeal

I find the Russian revenge hypothesis unconvincing. Likely with the mess of boxing regulation and the lack of impact on Olympic eligibility favours the decision to not appeal
Makes sense -- sometimes, it does come down to "is it worth the effort if the status quo doesn't stop us from doing what we want?"

Still, makes for interesting conspiracy theory feeding :)

Makes sense -- sometimes, it does come down to "is it worth the effort if the status quo doesn't stop us from doing what we want?"

Still, makes for interesting conspiracy theory feeding :)
so what are the theories?
that the two boxers were suspended by the IBA as stated because they failed a sex identification test and were identified as males likely 5-ARD

or

The IBA instigated a punitive action on these two boxers because one beat a Russian and the other a Bulgarian?

so what are the theories?
that the two boxers were suspended by the IBA as stated because they failed a sex identification test and were identified as males likely 5-ARD

or

The IBA instigated a punitive action on these two boxers because one beat a Russian and the other a Bulgarian?
Good question - given the grey area/lack of more information, it wouldn't surprise me to have more of the former with a bit of the latter.

The IBA did suspend Ukraine because of alleged "government interference" seven months after Russia started its Special Mil Op there, so there's a case to be made that political motives in other IBA decisions could be well above zero.

Like I said, may be somewhere in between - with different observers believing a different level of impact for the given factors.

It's all a plot by Russia to take advantage of North American LGBTQ-fatigue and cause discord and strife, starting with the drag queen last supper scene.

👀

It's all a plot by Russia to take advantage of North American LGBTQ-fatigue and cause discord and strife, starting with the drag queen last supper scene.

👀
You could be writing an executive summary for a think tank or a written-in-a-basement blog right there :)

Back