• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Et tu, Seamus?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-oregan-telford-helped-raise-400000-for-we-charity/

The PM has apologized for not recusing himself from the WE decision making.  In fact, he is "sincerely sorry".

Finance Minister Mormeau has yet to apologize.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

A true apology comes with changed behavior......and it appears that'll never happen.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
A true apology comes with changed behavior......and it appears that'll never happen.

I'd like to see him try to sincere his way out of a winger, say a charge 4 instead of a charge 3, or maybe 100 mils in elevation.

So if he apologizes after being caught, is it still a conflict of interest.

CloudCover said:
So if he apologizes after being caught, is it still a conflict of interest.

"I'm sorry I killed my wife, officer."

Doesn't work with murder, so I doubt it would work with other circumstances.

Brihard said:
CPC need to pull a bit back towards the centre to capture swing votes, not reinforce areas they've already won and gain precisely nothing from. That said, the election is probably a lock for LPC for the next year or so with the way things look now. CPC might be wiser to accept that this minority may go a full term, let the shine of the handling of COVID wear off, build a solid team and a solid slate of potential cabinet ministers, and they go into the next election unified and properly prepared.

Well said.

Without a functional parliament, the opposition parties can't get enough traction on holding the government to account. Government by press conference needs to end.

ModlrMike said:
Without a functional parliament, the opposition parties can't get enough traction on holding the government to account. Government by press conference needs to end.

It has ended. Trudeau stopped doing daily press conferences 2 weeks ago. He's basically just doing whatever he wants with extremely limited accountability. We can thank the NDP for stoking COVID-19 panic that Parliament somehow can't be safe or essential.

In another Liberal about-turn, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair today cut the CBSA's budget by $390M over two years. This comes after he announced $86M in funding for the CBSA and the RCMP to combat gun smuggling following the massive legally owned gun ban in May.

Do you have a news article link? Only thing I can find is stuff from before 2018.

The devil is, as always, in the details; a quick look and all i can find is this: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/pd-dp/tb-ct/min/overview-apercu-eng.html

It suggests that 19/20 saw a 17.5% increase - and that removing $390M over two years would still leave CBSA with more funds at the end of that period than they had in 2018-19.

What, specifically has been removed from the budget?  Are there specific initiatives not going forward?  Is this an accounting change (for example, removing CBSA's rather unique two-year rolling budget)?

Looking at the CBSA budget (https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/rpp/2020-2021/report-rapport-eng.html) yes, funding are showing a downward trend but there is not sufficient granularity to call it a cut - it could be completion of capital projects.  The planned FTE counts show a ~3.5% reduction over two years.

It's still 3.5% less personnel when recruiting can't keep up with retirements and attrition already. Many ports of entry are serioulsy understaffed already and a recent new article pointed out the agency's inability to track and remove tens of thousand of persons known to be in Canada illegally.

Something tells me there will be a big cut to the DND/CAF budget.  I think all departments are going to face a significant hit in the next couple of budgets The feds can't keep spending the money they are and not cut from somewhere else.

stellarpanther said:
Something tells me there will be a big cut to the DND/CAF budget.  I think all departments are going to face a significant hit in the next couple of budgets The feds can't keep spending the money they are and not cut from somewhere else.

If you currently rely on a class b for your employment start planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back