• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advantage JT had when first elected was that he 'stood out' amongst the political crowd. Young, handsome, decent speaker / BS'er, could connect with younger Canadians, and stood out on the world stage during the honeymoon phase after he was elected.

The Conservatives need someone that 'stands out' from the crowd. O'Toole isn't that guy, in my opinion.

The advantage JT had when first elected was that he 'stood out' amongst the political crowd. Young, handsome, decent speaker / BS'er, could connect with younger Canadians, and stood out on the world stage during the honeymoon phase after he was elected.

The Conservatives need someone that 'stands out' from the crowd. O'Toole isn't that guy, in my opinion.
Fully agree, CBH. Another swing and a miss by the CPC. Maybe in 2025, they’ll have figured it out.

They only lost by 20,000 votes last election (in strategic areas), it isn't too hard to imagine a election swinging either way.

Decent speaker? If I would have “ummm ahhhh errrrred” that much on my CLC it would have been a big fat Freddy and a long walk to the man eating truck.

JT won the first election on one thing. The legalization of weed. My son and his friends at was the only thing that mattered. And they tell my that was the millennial consensus. That is what pull them over the top. And then they got a minority because those voters did not care the next time.

JT won the first election on one thing. The legalization of weed. My son and his friends at was the only thing that mattered. And they tell my that was the millennial consensus. That is what pull them over the top. And then they got a minority because those voters did not care the next time.
My Liberal campaign promise predictions for 2021:

• forgive un-repaid CERB loans;
  • a tax credit for the amount of those CERB loans already paid back;
  • implementation of a national immunization "passport";
  • complete prohibition of handguns, semi-automatic, pump and lever action long guns;
  • decriminalization of simple possession of certain narcotics;
  • abandonment of any ongoing or future pipeline projects;
  • whatever the NDP wants, but bigger;
  • decriminalization of simple soliciting for the purpose of prostitution;
  • whatever Biden wants to avoid reopening the USMCA/CUSMA;
  • national standardized drinking age of 18;
  • withdrawal from NATO; and
  • abandonment of the monarchy and associated ties (i.e. the GG).

The cool thing about campaign promises is that you don't have to keep any of them once you're (re)elected.

The cool thing about campaign promises is that you don't have to keep any of them once you're (re)elected.
I think you forgot:
• Government MPs (including the PM himself) to comply with Ethics Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Act. 😉

• forgive un-repaid CERB loans;
  • a tax credit for the amount of those CERB loans already paid back;
  • implementation of a national immunization "passport";
  • complete prohibition of handguns, semi-automatic, pump and lever action long guns;
  • decriminalization of simple possession of certain narcotics;
  • abandonment of any ongoing or future pipeline projects;
  • whatever the NDP wants, but bigger;
  • decriminalization of simple soliciting for the purpose of prostitution;
  • whatever Biden wants to avoid reopening the USMCA/CUSMA;
  • national standardized drinking age of 18;
  • withdrawal from NATO; and
  • abandonment of the monarchy and associated ties (i.e. the GG).

You had me at HELLO.

This might have to do with the missteps O'Toole has had with the residential school remarks
Do Canadians really give a shit about residential schools though? I mean beyond being a reason to get worked up and outraged at a politician, do people really care? I didn't see much outrage when Trudeau laughed and cracked jokes towards the first nations woman who paid $2000 to attend a pay for play supper, you know the one from the reserve where the water was poison. The Residential school topic is manufactured outrage. It's a convenient minefield.

Do Canadians really give a shit about residential schools though? I mean beyond being a reason to get worked up and outraged at a politician, do people really care? I didn't see much outrage when Trudeau laughed and cracked jokes towards the first nations woman who paid $2000 to attend a pay for play supper, you know the one from the reserve where the water was poison. The Residential school topic is manufactured outrage. It's a convenient minefield.

My kids have had it drummed into them at school since Kindergarten, and I deal with issues like that on a regular basis at work in the natural resource sector space.

It's a big, huge deal in certain parts of the civilian world, believe me.

If you're saying it then I believe it. But could you explain a bit how it's a big deal in those parts? I really struggle to see how it has any impact outside of being treated like asking conservative politicians whether or not they'll march in Pride. Less so.

I suppose it depends on the Canadian. Probably a majority of the 1.67 million Canadians who identified themselves as an Aboriginal person on the 2016 census have a different point of view than, say, a rural Albertan who identifies from a strictly European background. It might be safe to say that the audience for Mr. O'Toole's residential school comments at the Ryerson event probably didn't think it mattered much, otherwise why did he make the comment he did. But that was a Conservative audience, directly concerned by chatter about changing the name of their school due to the history of that namesake as one of the architects of the residential school system. It's very easy to say what the base likes to hear, but putting one's foot into it when not necessary is foolish. And that's what O'Toole did - unable to present an alternative and "acceptable" option to those not in the CPC base.

So, do Canadians really give a shit about residential schools? Well, this Canadian does. And it's not manufactured and I don't get worked up nor am I outraged at politicians. It's an embarrassing episode in our country's history and the unfortunate thing is that it is still affecting us. Would I have felt the same way forty or fifty years ago? Probably not, I was likely much the same as most Canadians with a similar heritage. What changed? I grew up.

So, do Canadians really give a shit about residential schools? Well, this Canadian does. And it's not manufactured and I don't get worked up nor am I outraged at politicians. It's an embarrassing episode in our country's history and the unfortunate thing is that it is still affecting us.
I should have been more clear and asked if the majority of Canadians care, and by care I mean like it's a major current concern and not an embarrassing episode. And I absolutely agree it's an embarrassing episode in our country's history and shouldn't have happened. Personally I think the reserve system is just taking a longer approach at to accomplishing the residential schools goals.

Does it effect the daily lives of most Canadians? The only time it's in the news seems to be when a politician puts their foot in their mouth about it. Are Canadians demanding reconciliation? How did it factor when you voted?

I suppose it depends on the Canadian. Probably a majority of the 1.67 million Canadians who identified themselves as an Aboriginal person on the 2016 census have a different point of view than, say, a rural Albertan who identifies from a strictly European background. It might be safe to say that the audience for Mr. O'Toole's residential school comments at the Ryerson event probably didn't think it mattered much, otherwise why did he make the comment he did. But that was a Conservative audience, directly concerned by chatter about changing the name of their school due to the history of that namesake as one of the architects of the residential school system. It's very easy to say what the base likes to hear, but putting one's foot into it when not necessary is foolish. And that's what O'Toole did - unable to present an alternative and "acceptable" option to those not in the CPC base.

So, do Canadians really give a shit about residential schools? Well, this Canadian does. And it's not manufactured and I don't get worked up nor am I outraged at politicians. It's an embarrassing episode in our country's history and the unfortunate thing is that it is still affecting us. Would I have felt the same way forty or fifty years ago? Probably not, I was likely much the same as most Canadians with a similar heritage. What changed? I grew up.
This European descended rural Albertan grew up fifteen miles from a residential school. I happen to think they were pretty fucking awful. I refuse to share in the collective blame over it however, because it ain’t my fucking fault. Funny how those who think we should give the PM a pass because his blackface antics were so far in the past, expect me to eat the guilt over something that was instigated in a country I wasn’t born in, before my parents were even born. Hard pass, thanks.

As did the country so why are we still wearing a hair shirt about it? It happened 50 years ago and all the initiators of the system have been dead for at least that long. At least some of the teachers and workers that participated in the abuse have seen jail time (I think) so it is time to focus on more relevant issues and not be distracted by the past. It is a convenient way to draw attention away from the issues of water, health, education, mismanagement of funds, theft of funds by avaricious leaders: in other words the failures of this government and previous ones to address today's issues. And by the way, there were some well-run schools with staff that really cared. The entire concept though left itself wide-open to abuse as does anytime you put children under the care of those other than family. i.e.hockey coaches, juvenile detention centrres etc.

As did the country so why are we still wearing a hair shirt about it? It happened 50 years ago and all the initiators of the system have been dead for at least that long. At least some of the teachers and workers that participated in the abuse have seen jail time (I think) so it is time to focus on more relevant issues and not be distracted by the past. It is a convenient way to draw attention away from the issues of water, health, education, mismanagement of funds, theft of funds by avaricious leaders: in other words the failures of this government and previous ones to address today's issues. And by the way, there were some well-run schools with staff that really cared. The entire concept though left itself wide-open to abuse as does anytime you put children under the care of those other than family. i.e.hockey coaches, juvenile detention centrres etc.
"Collective guilt' as defined by activists, has no timeframe.

In other business. Looks like Trudeau and his associates don’t want stronger legislation against illegal gun smuggling. His extended team supported his soft-on-illegal-guns/tough-on-legal-gun-owners approach to vote collecting.

Bill C-238 voted down by Liberals, NDP and Green.
https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/votes/43/2/41

For: 150 - Conservatives (all), Bloc (all), Liberal (2 - Suhk Dhaliwal, Surrey BC; Adam Vaughan, Spadina-Fort York ON), Independent (1 - Ramesh Sangha, Brampton Center ON)

Against: 171 - Liberal (142), NDP (all), Green (all), Independent (3)

Interestingly, the two liberals and one independent (recently ejected from the Liberal caucus) who voted yes are MPs for large metropolitan population centers with disproportionately high illegal gun use....so they feel that legislation was justified.

Regards
G2G
That's got CERB forgiveness all over it with a side order of 'we'll use money earmarked for firearms buy back to help pay down the national debt instead'.

Voters in Canada want the federal government to implement a national pharmacare program and to take action on reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, suggests new results from a Mainstreet Research poll for iPolitics.

Most respondents in the 2,463-person phone survey, conducted between July 30-31, also want Ottawa to do more about racist and xenophobic statements and language and believe the gender wage gap is real, though think the private sector can do more to address it than the government.

The entire survey has a margin of error of 1.97 percentage points and is considered accurate 19 times out of 20, says Mainstreet.

According to the survey, 69.3 per cent of respondents agreed with the statement the federal government should work on reconciliation with Indigenous peoples in Canada, regardless of who wins the next election.
So 70 percent of people care. Residential schools probably being widely known as the worst offense.

Then O'Toole goes and says residential schools were for education.

So I would say a lot of people who care would probably take offense with those comments.

Outstanding. I applaud your growth.

Now take that sanctimony that you apply in this forum, and cast it upon your MP. Demand that he/she immediately propose a bill that states that residential schools were embarrassing, your considerations on this have been influenced by your reflections, you have reconsidered, and reparations need to be made. After all, it's very easy to say what the base likes to hear.

Then O'Toole goes and says residential schools were for education.

So I would say a lot of people who care would probably take offense with those comments.
I know this is going to totally blow your confirmation bias out of the water here, but actually listen to what he says and you'll see they took the "meant for education" part completely out of context. This article has a video with his FULL statement, not a clickbait title designed to manufacture partisan outrage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/erin-otoole-residential-schools-comments-1.5844307

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back