• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

As far as i've seen none of the techs I know have been sent on or given civilian equivalent courses at the army's dime. Just like its near impossible or takes forever for the army to recognize them.

dapaterson said:
Because we need soldiers to maintain recovery skills.

National recovery is already contracted out; are you proposing we contract out most field recovery as well?

Not all National recovery is contracted out, in fact I would wager that most of the areas are not. There can be times when we required the assistance of civilian companies, but by in large we are self dependant. Hopefully with the roll out of the Fifth wheel towing recovery system this will give our guys a break and allow them to do their jobs and not be reliant on down town tow trucks.

ERC is a ways off and all the ideas that you guys have been throwing out have been discussed and investigated , but I'm glad to see that people are worried about CSS issues and looking for solutions.

Here in Nfld, it's by civilian wrecker with HLVW backup...If I recall correctly for most of NB it's Military with civilian backup...

MrGnr said:
Not all National recovery is contracted out, in fact I would wager that most of the areas are not. There can be times when we required the assistance of civilian companies, but by in large we are self dependant. Hopefully with the roll out of the Fifth wheel towing recovery system this will give our guys a break and allow them to do their jobs and not be reliant on down town tow trucks.

ERC is a ways off and all the ideas that you guys have been throwing out have been discussed and investigated , but I'm glad to see that people are worried about CSS issues and looking for solutions.

I think its a matter of distance, if your near a base its not going to be contracted out, but say southern Alberta or Western Ontario for example it would probably be contracted out because it would be faster and maybe even cheaper then sending for national recovery

NFLD Sapper said:
Here in Nfld, it's by civilian wrecker with HLVW backup...If I recall correctly for most of NB it's Military with civilian backup...

It generally depends on what units are close and what capabilies they have.  Any area close to a RegF Bde will have the Svc Bn take care of National Recovery, if you are out of range of a RegF Svc Bn, then yes it will be mostly contracted recovery.  I'm not sure if the beefed up PRes Svc Bn(ASU Closures etc)  will be capable of National Recovery or not, but my gut feeling says no.

Old EO Tech said:
It generally depends on what units are close and what capabilies they have.  Any area close to a RegF Bde will have the Svc Bn take care of National Recovery, if you are out of range of a RegF Svc Bn, then yes it will be mostly contracted recovery.  I'm not sure if the beefed up PRes Svc Bn(ASU Closures etc)  will be capable of National Recovery or not, but my gut feeling says no.

depends if we have a wrecker and available RSS staff, at my unit we have an assigned recovery section of a couple RSS and volunteer reservists who have flexible hours

dapaterson said:
Because we need soldiers to maintain recovery skills.

National recovery is already contracted out; are you proposing we contract out most field recovery as well?

Not at all.

I've moderately skimmed over the last 10 pages and I haven't seen anyone mention the HMMVW (Humvee) as a logical candidate for the LVM-Light series of trucks to replace the MILCOT LUVW and the LSVW? I know the brass is petrified of American iconography, but our SF units used and loved it for the most part and IIRC, 3PPCLI was using them in Afghanistan and liked them as well. What is the big deal surrounding the HMMVW?

I apologize if this was already discussed.

PeaceReaper said:
I've moderately skimmed over the last 10 pages and I haven't seen anyone mention the HMMVW (Humvee) as a logical candidate for the LVM-Light series of trucks to replace the MILCOT LUVW and the LSVW? I know the brass is petrified of American iconography, but our SF units used and loved it for the most part and IIRC, 3PPCLI was using them in Afghanistan and liked them as well. What is the big deal surrounding the HMMVW?

I apologize if this was already discussed.

The simple version is its old, the US recently signed a contract with Oshkosh if i recall correctly to begin replacing all their HMMVW's with L-ATV's. Would we pick up all those old HMMVW's? doubtful overseas has proven they couldn't take a RPG to save its life, and the trend is armour and personal protection of the crew (which is not a bad thing).

Mind you we picked the Iltis just as the Germans were getting rid of their and going to G-wagons, so we would be right on schedule.  8)

HMMVW came up on page 2.  It is a good truck, and might be a good fit for the CF.  However, it is not without its faults and it is certainly far from the only possibility for the CF.  That means procurement laws prevent us from just buying brand name.

We need to talk physical and performance requirements instead of brands.

Just get the TB staff, PWGSC and politicans to conduct the the bid review in the back of a LSVW CP while on the move.

Colin P said:
Just get the TB staff, PWGSC and politicans to conduct the the bid review in the back of a LSVW CP while on the move.

Is the LS rolling down a hill or being pushed by Ptes?

Colin P said:

With the heater N/S, in the middle of a Manitoba winter........

Just Read the Latest Issue of Canadian Defense Review which has a profile article on the Oshkosh HEMTT A4 thats in the competition, interestingly Oshkosh has spent money for the crane on some varients, like the MRT varient to conform specifically to Canadian kit. They lengthened the cargo body and put on ISO locks so the cargo variant can carry a 20ft ISO container. Operational range is greater then 650km, top speed of around 110km/h and Oshkosh reveals they are working on vehicles for a bid on the ERC project (using their HEMTT A4 Wrecker) and other parts of the LVM like replacing the LSVW.

Industry invests a lot so that they might win our competitions.  It is why they become disgruntled when major projects have a habit of being cancelled, delayed or significantly altered.

MilEME09 said:
Just Read the Latest Issue of Canadian Defense Review which has a profile article on the Oshkosh HEMTT A4 thats in the competition, interestingly Oshkosh has spent money for the crane on some varients, like the MRT varient to conform specifically to Canadian kit. They lengthened the cargo body and put on ISO locks so the cargo variant can carry a 20ft ISO container. Operational range is greater then 650km, top speed of around 110km/h and Oshkosh reveals they are working on vehicles for a bid on the ERC project (using their HEMTT A4 Wrecker) and other parts of the LVM like replacing the LSVW.

I would love to see Oshkosh win, but unfortunately, the ERC Vehicle is 6 years away, and the MSVS SMP is still 3 years away, and the rest of the LVM is at least 9 years away....going to be a rough ride in the next decade.  Though as our canabalized B fleet is used up I can see the post 2015 Government having to lease vehicles to bridge the gap until LVM/ERC/ACSV projects deliver final products....either that or the Army will be functionally non deployable :-/

I think the army has got to see trucks as expendable items and have a rolling replacement program and replace them earlier like industry does. Logging companies expect to get about 5 years out of a pickup and budget accordingly. Frankly I think every unit should have at least one each of completely civilian model pickup and 3 ton truck to supplement the tactical vehicles and that includes the reserves. this will increase the Brigades ability to move, reduce wear on the tactical fleet and have vehicles that can be repaired anywhere.

For the Tactical stuff buy off the shelf in production versions in smaller lots frequently, if different models get chosen, then issue them in clusters, I know people will say "parts, training, etc" but lets face it your current way of doing things is not working. As for repair training, issue good manuals and have a electronic forum the vehicle techs can use to discuss fixes and issues. Most of the techs are smart and don't need to be "certified" to work on vehicle X and not vehicle Y, when both are trucks using basically the same principles. The army is going to have to let go of some of the process side and I suspect that will be the hardest because certain people love their reports and pie charts. 

Back