• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Man killed by Winnipeg police was former Canadian Forces member: sources

Blackhorse7 said:
I feel terrible both for Bell and for the Officers that needed to confront him.  If he was suffering from PTSD, it is saddening that the only way out he felt he was left with was to create a lethal force confrontation.  As for the Officers, I can imagine as both a former CF member and a current Police Officer that this must be weighing heavily on them.  No Officer goes to work wanting to shoot someone, and certainly they don't want to when they know it's a person pushing for "suicide by cop".

Rest easy, Bell.   :salute:

+1

in time the whole truth will come out.
if that is the case, it is saddening that he felt this was the only way out, and that he went through with it.
RIP Bell, and Peace be with the officers who had to go through this awful event as well....  :salute:

To address George's comment
SO?  What did the CF have to do with the story?  Other than "eye candy" to attract you to the story, where did it fit in?

The CBC news story is stating that "... Bell had a long struggle with mental health issues following a training deployment overseas as part of his military service."

So the fact that he worked for the CF had him take part in the "training deployment oversease" (whatever the news thinks that is...), which resulted in his receiving a diagnosis of PTSD. 

His being in the CF is directly related. 

I agree with Vern that putting someones employer down is common place in the media.  It allows for a frame of reference whether relevant or not.  In this case, there is a direct link to his working for the CF and having PTSD, not that the two are mutually exclusive. 

George Wallace said:
What CF Organization did this guy belong to and for how long.  Being a Cadet is a far cry from being a Cbt veteran.  A Recruit School Washout is a far cry from a Member Released after a long career.  What did this article state other than he was a former member of the CF?  So?  Was he a former of Cdn Tire also?

Usually there is a little more detail in their backgrounds than "was a former member of such and such organization".

To the masses of news consumers it doesn't matter one bit whether he was a "cadet" or a "commando"; it means little to them without detailed additional analysis.  The media is sharing what details it has, and will, hopefully, add to that when further information becomes available.  If every news story was withheld until "all" the facts were known and verified, we'd never get anything timely from the media.

It's a recurring nightmare of mine that should I ever go off my nut and pull some heinous stunt (I'm not planning anything at the moment - but NEVER is a long time), the newspapers would scream "Airborne Commando Goes Wild", or "Former Member of Disgraced Airborne Regiment Does Something Stupid", or some such.

It would never occur to them that I was a freaking Adm Clk - hardly a "Commando".  The public would pick up on the Airborne thing, and that would be that - no matter what the rest of the article might say.

I would agree, however, that reporting what an individual's background might be DOES lend context to the story - and I don't think former members of the CF are necessarily singled out in this way.  The fact that most of us here are current or former members, or folks who take an interest in, the CF causes us to notice this tendency of the media when it is applied to current or former members who do something newsworthy.

People's background is normally reported in the media - whether that background is "truck driver", "unemployed mechanic", or "former member of the CF" - I don't think the media is "picking on us", at least in this context.

I share Blackhorse7's sentiments for both the unfortunate Police Officers and Mr. Bell - it was a tragedy for all involved.

UPDATE
Updated Wed. Dec. 19 2007 5:19 PM ET
Capt. Carole Brown, a military spokeswoman in Ottawa, told The Canadian Press that Bell served in the Forces from 1981 through 2004, when he worked as a postal clerk.

Bell was "never deployed on operations overseas,'' Brown said, adding that "when he was released, he was at the rank of corporal.''

Brown said Bell joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1981 and began working as a postal clerk 10 years later. Throughout his career, Bell moved all over Canada, working at bases including Winnipeg, Shilo, Trenton, Calgary, Wainwright, and Esquimalt.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071218/police_shooting_071219/20071219?hub=Canada

There was a comment re: "postal" earlier.....hmmmm, maybe it's genetic...

Cataract Kid said:
^ I don't think that comment was called for.

Nevertheless - it was made.

Dark humour is a normal characteristic of "one who serves" - get used to it.

Roy

Roy Harding said:
It's a recurring nightmare of mine that should I ever go off my nut and pull some heinous stunt (I'm not planning anything at the moment - but NEVER is a long time), the newspapers would scream "Airborne Commando Goes Wild", or "Former Member of Disgraced Airborne Regiment Does Something Stupid", or some such.

It would never occur to them that I was a freaking Adm Clk - hardly a "Commando".  The public would pick up on the Airborne thing, and that would be that - no matter what the rest of the article might say.

I would agree, however, that reporting what an individual's background might be DOES lend context to the story - and I don't think former members of the CF are necessarily singled out in this way.  The fact that most of us here are current or former members, or folks who take an interest in, the CF causes us to notice this tendency of the media when it is applied to current or former members who do something newsworthy.

People's background is normally reported in the media - whether that background is "truck driver", "unemployed mechanic", or "former member of the CF" - I don't think the media is "picking on us", at least in this context.

I share Blackhorse7's sentiments for both the unfortunate Police Officers and Mr. Bell - it was a tragedy for all involved.

Quite right Roy. I remember a few years ago a guy posted at Leitrim being court martialed and punted.....there was some Outlaw motorcycle activity and other nefarious dealings that brought this guys security clearance into jeopardy etc. the media painted that one as a "Decorated CF Veteran" Turns out he had a CD. Well I suppose technically he had a "decoration" but it's hardly the same as a VC or an MC hitting the skids is it?? The average joe public who watches way too much US television thinks a decoration means that the guy is a war hero of some kind.

SweetNavyJustice

Hind sight is great.  Those facts were not included in the original report.  Perhaps someone realized or was getting flack as such produced earlier here and did some digging.  Now we find in another report, that he was a Postie and never deployed outside of Canada.  

I think that Roy has a good point, and that is what I am getting at.  I worked for Coca Cola before I joined the CF.  If this had been me, would they have gone back and said "Ex-Coca Cola Worker suffering PTDS......."?  No.  It seems that if at anytime a person was a member, worked for, or applied for the CF, in any way shape or form, that is what they home in on.  Here we have a Retired (for three years) member of the CF killed in a confrontation with the Police.  What was his current employment?  

My condolances to all involved, especially the officers involved.

Brown said Bell joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1981 and began working as a postal clerk 10 years later. Throughout his career, Bell moved all over Canada, working at bases including Winnipeg, Shilo, Trenton, Calgary, Wainwright, and Esquimalt.

What did he do for the first 10 years he was in?

George Wallace said:
SweetNavyJustice

Hind sight is great.  Those facts were not included in the original report.  Perhaps someone realized or was getting flack as such produced earlier here and did some digging.  Now we find in another report, that he was a Postie and never deployed outside of Canada.  

I think that Roy has a good point, and that is what I am getting at.  I worked for Coca Cola before I joined the CF.  If this had been me, would they have gone back and said "Ex-Coca Cola Worker suffering PTDS......."?  No.  It seems that if at anytime a person was a member, worked for, or applied for the CF, in any way shape or form, that is what they home in on.  Here we have a Retired (for three years) member of the CF killed in a confrontation with the Police.  What was his current employment?  

My condolances to all involved, especially the officers involved.

Yes but we all have to keep in mind that the media is a business. They sell their product by making it interesting. Ex Coca-cola employee is not interesting...ex CF member is. In the same way that ex Member of Parliament or ex member of the priesthood would be interesting....perhaps.

IN HOC SIGNO said:

Yes but we all have to keep in mind that the media is a business. They sell their product by making it interesting. Ex Coca-cola employee is not interesting...ex CF member is. In the same way that ex Member of Parliament or ex member of the priesthood would be interesting....perhaps.

Planning to make headlines, Padre??

I'm sorry - I couldn't resist.

Your point is valid - and I agree with you.

Roy Harding said:
Planning to make headlines, Padre??

I'm sorry - I couldn't resist.

Your point is valid - and I agree with you.

Ha ha...not if I can help it. Pretty boring story I'm afraid....wouldn't sell a lot of papers for them......"Chocaholic CF Padre Loses TV Remote and Misses CSI!" That's about my life in a nutshell!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2007/12/19/police-shooting.html

A man who was shot and killed by Winnipeg police on Monday was a former member of the Canadian Forces who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071218/police_shooting_071219/20071219?hub=Canada

Bell was "never deployed on operations overseas,'' Brown said

I am no doctor, but working as a military postal worker, and never deployed over seas, just dose not equate to Post traumatic stress disorder. 
I call bullcrap on CBC, just another blow at the military, remember we are the big bad military in the eyes of the media. Mothers, I hope you have hid your daughters!.  ::)

Pte. Butt take into account that he didn't start out as a Postal Clerk.

Brown said Bell joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in 1981 and began working as a postal clerk 10 years later. Throughout his career, Bell moved all over Canada, working at bases including Winnipeg, Shilo, Trenton, Calgary, Wainwright, and Esquimalt

popnfresh said:
He went postal.

Even if he was infantry before-hand, never being deployed outside Canada, in most cases the military would not be the cause for PTSD. Now whatever has happened on Civi-side could be a whole different story.

The NFLD Grinch said:
Pte. Butt take into account that he didn't start out as a Postal Clerk.

Ahh yes, this is true. I read it, just decided to not include it my initial post. my apologies.

Pte.Butt said:
I am no doctor, but working as a military postal worker, and never deployed over seas, just dose not equate to Post traumatic stress disorder. 

Umm, I don't believe military events are a prerequisite for PTSD.......

Back