• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MATA and PATA ( Parental Leave )

army

Inactive
Reaction score
Re: maternity leave.

Posted by Hanway from Halifax NS Canada on March 28, 2000 at 06:30:38:

In Reply to: maternity leave. posted by Monica on March 27, 2000 at 19:28:47:

Gee - I‘m not sure but you might have to be pregnant

My wife is non military and is expecting our first child in June.  Can anyone tell me what I am entitled to as far as leave?  I couldn't find anything clear on the DIN.  Apparently every base has a "maternity co-ordinator" ???  I am going to try and track him or her down on base, hopefully its a true position and my chain isn't being yanked.

Anyone recently been on leave recently while their wife hasn't taken advantage of EI or anything?  Does the CF now top up for military members?

MogoMan

You haven't been able to find anything on MATA/PATA Leave?  It is all explained there.

Parental Leave Policy and Entitlements, (QR&O 16.27, DAOD 5001-2 and CBI 205.461, found on Internet at:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch016_e.asp
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5001/2_e.asp
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/engraph/home_e.asp?sidesection=6&Section=205.461&sidecat=22&Chapter=205#205.461

I just finished Parental leave in May. If your wife is not drawing UI then you are entitled to 37 weeks. I took six months. It was great but towards the end my wife was realy getting tired of seeing me 24hrs a day. HA!Ha! Take it! It is one of the best benefits the CF has to offer.

Yep I had my kid 3 months ago and I'm just going on it now.Im taking 10 weeks,any longer I would be divored and living in some ****hole country.Can't wait for the 10 weeks though.

The big secret to taking parental leave is to put a portion of your salary away.  you could end up having problems of being over paid by the military or EI.  And you are going to take a kicking during tax time unless you up what you pay in taxes.

I suggest taking your FULL allotted time the army gives you.That way if you want to go back early you can.I personally being a guy who enjoys working (not  my work) only took 10 weeks thinking that would be enough....well guess what.Back to work tomorrow and I could have taken another 25 weeks....I'm a dumbass.

My wife is at home alone and having lots of trouble taking care of things.  Our child (both of our firsts) is not due until the 28th of Sept.  Is there any way to take an early PATA leave and return sooner after the child is born?  or do I have to wait until the baby is born before I can take PATA.  Her doc thinks that it would be benefitial to have me home.

Looks like no.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/DAOD/5001/2_e.asp

I took PATA leave a few years ago, my understanding (not official) was that in order to be entitled to take PATA leave, the mother (or wife) had to use the first 35 weeks, (If memory serves correctly) before I could take PATA leave, she had to use MAT first! We were both working though and not sure if that has any bearings! During my last child, she was on bed rest and was administered to the hospital quite a few times, I had a very forgiving COC and was able to assist her whenever in need. I would make your COC aware, so they can hopefully help you out when you are in need.

Rowshambow said:
I took PATA leave a few years ago, my understanding (not official) was that in order to be entitled to take PATA leave, the mother (or wife) had to use the first 35 weeks, (If memory serves correctly) before I could take PATA leave, she had to use MAT first! We were both working though and not sure if that has any bearings! During my last child, she was on bed rest and was administered to the hospital quite a few times, I had a very forgiving COC and was able to assist her whenever in need. I would make your COC aware, so they can hopefully help you out when you are in need.

That may have been the case, but I can tell you that right now, the father can take PATA as soon as the baby is born - but not before.  I was inquiring with the MATA/PATA clerk today to lay out the groundwork for my own PATA claim.

However, for the original poster - your situation sounds like it might be a good candidate for compassionate leave under QR&O 16.17/CFAO 16-1.  Unfortunately, only 14 calendar days leave can be granted by a CO, and 30 calendar days by an officer commanding a command.  Perhaps some creative leave planning could be arranged; every other day, for example?

Definitely let the CoC know, though - they may be able to offer flexible working arrangements or offer other assistance.

Chap 16.27 Para 3, 4, 5

No entitlement to Parental Leave entitlement exists until the child is born, and I suspect this applicable to EI as well.

PO2FinClk said:

Chap 16.27 Para 3, 4, 5

No entitlement to Parental Leave entitlement exists until the child is born, and I suspect this applicable to EI as well.

Under EI, the mother is allowed to start MAT leave up to 8 weeks prior to the expected due date - however, this tidbit doesn't help the father at all in this particular situation.

For Corvin:  Some additional information - there isn't anything stipulating that one can't take successive (or nearly successive) periods of compassionate leave, assuming your situation qualifies for it.  In 2001, when my father was terminally ill with asbestosis and cancer, I was granted 14 days compassionate leave to visit him while he was seriously ill, and then granted another 14 days compassionate leave when he died 8 weeks later.  If your case is strong, successive 30-day compassionate leave periods might be enough to tide you over, combined with annual leave if necessary.  Something to bring up to the CoC.

284_226 said:
Under EI, the mother is allowed to start MAT leave up to 8 weeks prior to the expected due date - however, this tidbit doesn't help the father at all in this particular situation.
I did not comment on it due to its' inapplicability.

As CO's are left discretionary authority for Compassionate Leave this could be a perfect avenue for you (Corvin).  As others have mentioned do advise your CoC of this issue and perhaps get the "doc" to write a letter stating your presence would be of benefit if not essential. The letter from the doc could in turn assist in getting additonal leave granted.

Hi all,

New to the forums here, and am looking for some slight help.

Background:  Wife lost daughter after birth early mid '07 and is now high risk pregnancy and on strict bed rest, due Apr 19 08.

I have already used all of my annual leave (on the advice of my chain of command) before pushing a memo up and getting a weeks compassionate leave from the BDE Padre.

I am now finding that the chain is seemingly not to keen on helping this situation out.  Time off from work to deal with issues at home is a sure struggle, and no compassionate was to be entertained / supported from my troop, until I had used my annual.

So with no annual leave left and having used one leave block of compassionate, and not being able to even trust that I will not be tasked on say a weekend (which are the only days I have to myself to care for her), or deployed:

IS THERE ANYTHING OTHER than another compassionate memo that I can put up?

If my chain of command's advice to me was to take my annual first, can i redress this?  anyone have an example of this -denied or otherwise?

My first step is always to talk with my chain, but at the moment I am not trusting of the support or information I am getting.

I understand the CFAO's on compassionate, and annual and think this advice was a joke, but this issue was of great importance to me, and I did what I had to do to be able to leave work, and care for my wife, but would like to see if I can get the annual days back (though i would simply want to use them again to care for her, so I am sure it really wouldn't work out any different, other than "administratively".

Any help is appreciate..!!!

Unfortunately, Compassionate is the only avenue in this case other then requesting LWOP. I can only suggest you speak with either the Padre or Social Work Office about this issue as they are likely the only ones who can push to have you granted any additional leave. If all else fails, there is always the Ombudsman's office.

As far as receovering your Annual, it is not likely and as you state would only use them to care for your wife again. Just get compassionate for the same purpose and save yourself an enormous hassle.

Go see the Padre or Social Worker and request compasionate lve. This is probably your best avenue. Best of luck and I hope everything turns out OK with your new family!!

Back