• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Release ( merged )

A lot of times, the number itself from your Pcat is not taken into consideration. They usually only look at the universality of svc and your trade specifics, so if you can crawl, dig a trench, carry sandbags, do your CF Expres test, do 30 min of drill, use a firearm, do your job around/close to water, use a radio and such, you'll probably be RWOR and no RA(MEL) would be done for you.
However, I find it a little odd that the MIR would actually encourage you to go for a medical release, as their job is to make sure you're fit for duty. A doctor can suggest some MEL in accordance to your current condition but unless your hearing has changed significantly since your last AR(MEL) 10 years ago or you have a new chronic condition that truly breaks U of S, your chances of releasing 3(b) are probably slim.

When i was RWOR 10 years ago my hearing was a H3 which met trade specs currently i'm a H4.  I thought that would make a difference but not according to the MIR.  Even a H4 is generous as thats the highest level the CF uses, when in fact i would be a H5 or H6.  An H4 is 50 db loss at 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 and I'm currently at 70 Db.  I even tried to get the point across without these hearing aids i'm deaf.

farrell486 said:
Yes i was wrong in my post I was retained without restrictions (RWOR) even though my category is a H4 and i was never placed on a Category.

If you were RWOR, then you were placed on a category. The two go hand-in-hand.

This is what I've been told by the MIR who actually encouraged me to go for a medical release since i wanted to try another career.

That's not up to the MIR. Medical releases are not "sought" they are considered after a category incompatable with continued service is awarded. It's a "push" issue, not a "pull" issue.

I was told to do a medical review as i was told i break universality of service on a few points.  My case worker is looking into it even she's confused.

This is probably what you've been asked to consider. If you hearing has degraded markedly since your last medical, or PCat, then you can ask to have it reviewed. If you fall too far down the scale, you might, and I stress might, be in a position to be medically released.

Good Evening,

My spouse has developed a medical condition since joining the forces (It did not exist before ) and wish's to put in for release, but the Case Manager said they are eligible for a Medical Release. The Paperwork is in limbo with Ottawa, and we are told there is nothing we can do until they review it, which could take up to 2 years! Basically a Medical Release cannot be submitted yet. Can we expedite this somehow? A Regular release is possible to submit, but because this condition was a direct result of the job, we feel a Medical Release is deserved. We have plans to move on with our lives and we can't until this is settled. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much

Your husband has to be assigned a permanent medical category before a medical release can be granted - and that process takes time unfortunately, as there are a pile of review processes the file has to go through and it takes time due to the fact the number of files is inversely proportional to the number of people there are to review them.  If you're in a hurry to get out, it's not to your benefit, due to compensation entitlements that would be forthcoming with a medical release vs voluntary.  In the mean time, has he dealt with the base IPSC yet?  They're a wealth of help and knowledge and usually have Veteran's Affairs hanging out in the same office.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but the process is slow.  Sometimes a nudge (not a yell or scream but a nudge) from the base medical officer or Base Surgeon can get things moving a bit faster, but often not that much.  Ensure that your husband has talked to as many folks as are available to give the pros and cons of waiting and not waiting - IPSC, Case Manager and the Release section for starts, and engage the medical system as well...contrary to popular belief, we are here to help.

MM

Thank you for your response. What does IPSC Stand for? I will encourage the spouse to contact them if they have not already.

BuzzyBeetle said:
Thank you for your response. What does IPSC Stand for? I will encourage the spouse to contact them if they have not already.

good day. Where in Canada are you right now? I can help you, guide you in the right direction, but we shouldn't do it on here. I am going to PM you to steer you in the right direction.

Good questions. MM has it right.

MM you  and I should talk.

More discussion here:
Topic: "Question about releasing from the Navy":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/93989/post-933661.html#msg933661

BuzzyBeetle said:

IPSC=Integrated Personnel Support Centre.

MM

I may be facing release for a newly diagnosed medical condition that prevents continued CF service. It is a deteriorating condition which is not related to my service. It also does not prevent me from attaining full employment after my release - Parkinsons Disease which is, as yet, manageable.

My question is what sort of benefits (if any) am I likely to see upon release? All the info and REFS I can find seem to apply to service related injuries or conditions. Do the terms of a medical pension still apply or am I SOL?

Thanks for your help!
Cori

If you haven't already, get in touch with a case manager at the Base Clinic and VAC - they are better able to steer you where yo need to go with that sort of thing.

MM

A couple of things to ask about - you may be entitled to benefits under these:

Vocational Rehabilitation for Serving Members - once the doctor signs off on the medical release, you can arrange a placement for up to 6 months (CF pays your salary and benefits) and you gain work experience in a new civilian field.

SISIP Long term disability

Priority hire for the public service

I do know of someone who received the Voc Rehab for a non service related condition (diabetes in his case). 

I am pretty sure the LTD is available, regardless of the reason - that's standard in the insurance world in general. You can't work, LTD is there for that.

But you have to be patient and let the process work itself out to get the proper release item.  A friend (different one from the first example) was tempted to just take a voluntary release because the system was so frustrating, but his case worker pointed out that he had to wait out the paperwork to get the right release item to access the benefits. 

Alright, so this is my first, and after searching extensively I was unable to find something relating to my exact question so I thought I'd ask my own.  If I'm in the wrong thread feel free to move it.  So to my real question.

About 6 months into my switch from the Reserves to the Regs, I started seeing a Psychiatrist to treat mild depression.  And everything was going fine, until about two months ago when my supervisor decided to get involved and had me go to the MIR to see an Doctor who decided I should be put on a Form 1 as my Psych was not available.  After my Form was up, I was released and went back to work normally.  However, I had to see an MO since I was hospitalized and he put me on a TCat for a month, and he decided to give me a Medical Part 1 and 2.  During the Part 2, he just went straight to talking about placing me on a PCat, because of  how I am a danger to myself and others, and that I shouldn't be deployed as I need MIR visits more then every six months, near weapons, work for overly long hours because of stress and that I shouldn't be in a supervisor position.  After which he said, it'd be sent to D Med Pol to decide if I'm fit to continue in my current trade (RMS Clk), do an occupational transfer or be released (he mentioned release about 4 or 5 times).  He seemed to take no consideration for my opinion, as I told him that I was capable of what he thought I was unfit for; as I often work long/stressful hours, can be near weapons and can supervise without any negative repercussions.  I also believe that I do not need the amount of time with my Psych as he believes, as when I do see her we talk for maybe 5 minutes and she sees no problem.

My question is since I am already an RMS Clk, what trade could I go that would allow me to stay in?  Or will I simply be released?

And is there anyway to fight this as I should've been allowed up to a year on TCat. 

Any help or advise would be appreciated greatly.  Thank you,

My only comment here would be three things:

Document, Document, Document.

It may come in handy for a redress, if and when the time comes.

What documents might you recommend?  And what could I redress do?

My apologies if those questions are naive.

Char1991 said:
What documents might you recommend?  And what could I redress do?

When a person is Formed, they are usually expressing harm to ones self, or another.  Now, I do not know your situation, but I can almost guarantee you were not given a form one for walking on the grass, or across a parade square on base, wouldn't you agree?

I think there is a wee bit more to your story than you are telling us.  If you want an honest answer, I suggest you tell the complete story.

dileas

tess

hat documents might you recommend?  And what could I redress do?

What I meant was that you should document all visits, all information, direction, recommendations, etc. you are given. Make as many notes as possible about what has happened, who has said what and when, request copies of any reports or so forth that you are entitled to.

It's a CYA thing in case in the future you need to challenge a ruling, order for release or change of trade, or for future disability claims with Veteran Affairs.

I've seen several cases both within the CF and other Government agencies/ departments, where medical issues either stalled or cut short careers, some physical issues and some mental health issues. In all cases, documentation (or lack of it)made all the difference in challenging the original finding / ruling.

This becomes especially crucial when dealing with Veterans Affairs for disability claims.

Char1991 said:
had me go to the MIR to see an Doctor who decided I should be put on a Form 1 as my Psych was not available. 

the 48th regulator said:
When a person is Formed, they are usually expressing harm to ones self, or another.  Now, I do not know your situation, but I can almost guarantee you were not given a form one for walking on the grass, or across a parade square on base, wouldn't you agree?

There is a "Serious Harm Test" to get on a Form 1:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?openform&ENV=WWE&NO=014-6427-41

Back