• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

Magravan said:
GW - Taxi from Oshawa?

Could that be worse than a Taxi from Ottawa Airport to Petawawa?  They do offer "Flat Rates" for those 'long hauls'.

George Wallace said:
Could that be worse than a Taxi from Ottawa Airport to Petawawa?  They do offer "Flat Rates" for those 'long hauls'.

Oshawa to Pearson in rush hour or taxi from Pet to Ottawa, hmmmmmm. I actually wonder which one would take longer.

Magravan: Here is a list of shuttle operators. I looked up one of them and it estimated $60 to get from Oshawa to Pearson. Don't know about the rest, anyways, it's a thought.

Now these I had no clue about, but it does look like a great backup plan. Thank you very much.

Magravan said:
Now these I had no clue about, but it does look like a great backup plan. Thank you very much.

The advantage of a shuttle is that they will pick you up right at your house with all the luggage,there will probably be other passengers, and take your right to the airport. No need for messing around on public transit with a bunch of bags. Although you really shouldn't have that much luggage going to IAP. In the end, do whatever you think will work best.

Magravan said:
Should be fun getting to the airport that early ;)

I wish I had to get places that 'early'  9:00am is like massively sleeping in!  Well at least for me anyways!
(Darn civy job gets me up at 5:30 every morning)

Again, if I lived in the airport, that might be getting to sleep in. When you take into account that leaving any time after 6am will probably mean that I am not there in time, it doesn't seem too 'sleeping in' anymore. If I can sleep in to 5:30 that day, I will be grateful.

Magravan said:
...... If I can sleep in to 5:30 that day, I will be grateful.

Just be thankful that 0530 isn't your 'Check in' time.    ;D

.....But then traffic would be a little lighter on the 401, but not all that much.

Congrats to all the newbies, however, I am having a wee bit of a chuckle at the expense of some of you.  If getting to your appointed destination is causing somewhat of a mini dilemma, what the heck are you going to do when the instructors hand you a map or heavens, responsibility for your troopies or CF assets? I see the stereotype of a 2nd Lt  and maps and/or losing a ship coming to fruition in this very thread.

Magravan,  If you have a flight booked out of Pearson for a departure time of 0900, then you had better be out of bed long before 0530, actually you should be half way to the airport by then.  (I'm not sure why, given your location, that you haven't discussed with your CFRC taking the train to STJ).  You might have overlooked that your departure date is still very much in the midst of holiday travel and airports will be busy so don't risk missing that flight because the snowbird couple in front of you have to repack their entire 20 piece luggage ensemble and is holding up check in or because of holiday staffing shortages, the sec gates are moving like molasses up a hill in Jan.  Or you simply wake up at your 0530 and find overnight there has been 35cm of snow dumped on the ground.  That does not mean your flight will be cancelled, but you may be in a world of hurt if you can't get to the airport.  

There's a reason why you hear about hurry up and wait moments, better to be sitting waiting to go, than trying to explain why you  c*cked up and are late.  And if you think blaming any tardiness on anything other than yourself is going to get you a "there, there, it's ok" from your instructors, may I suggest some swamp land in FLA for you to buy.  

Good luck and I do hope map reading comes easier for you than getting all your travel arrangements squared away.  

George Wallace said:
Just be thankful that 0530 isn't your 'Check in' time.    ;D

.....But then traffic would be a little lighter on the 401, but not all that much.

I'd show up the night before... Sleep on the curb outside the base if need be :D

niner domestic said:
Congrats to all the newbies, however, I am having a wee bit of a chuckle at the expense of some of you.  If getting to your appointed destination is causing somewhat of a mini dilemma, what the heck are you going to do when the instructors hand you a map or heavens, responsibility for your troopies or CF assets? I see the stereotype of a 2nd Lt  and maps and/or losing a ship coming to fruition in this very thread.

Magravan,  If you have a flight booked out of Pearson for a departure time of 0900, then you had better be out of bed long before 0530, actually you should be half way to the airport by then.  (I'm not sure why, given your location, that you haven't discussed with your CFRC taking the train to STJ).  You might have overlooked that your departure date is still very much in the midst of holiday travel and airports will be busy so don't risk missing that flight because the snowbird couple in front of you have to repack their entire 20 piece luggage ensemble and is holding up check in or because of holiday staffing shortages, the sec gates are moving like molasses up a hill in Jan.  Or you simply wake up at your 0530 and find overnight there has been 35cm of snow dumped on the ground.  That does not mean your flight will be cancelled, but you may be in a world of hurt if you can't get to the airport. 

There's a reason why you hear about hurry up and wait moments, better to be sitting waiting to go, than trying to explain why you  c*cked up and are late.  And if you think blaming any tardiness on anything other than yourself is going to get you a "there, there, it's ok" from your instructors, may I suggest some swamp land in FLA for you to buy. 

Good luck and I do hope map reading comes easier for you than getting all your travel arrangements squared away. 

The presumption on the board just makes me shake my head sometimes... I don't have a car, therefore I can't read a map?

How is it that I can be ridden for saying that 0900 is early because it means that I will be up at an extremely early time, and then a few posts later be ridden because I'm not being prepared to get up early enough? Just so I'm clear, you guys -are- reading more than the numbers, right?

Getting to Pearson from Oshawa at this time means that I need to be checking in probably at least 2 hours in advance to make sure that I have time for everything. That puts me at 0700 that I have to be there. Now, anyone who knows the traffic getting into Toronto on a clear day would have an idea of what is possible at rush hour on a snowy day. Which means that I'll probably be tacking a considerable amount of time to my travel plans. As you can see, this 'cushy' 0900 flight is a firm stone, so the only where to go for more time is earlier and earlier for wake up. Presuming that I have everything packed and ready to go on my side, and that loading the method of travel doesn't take more than a few minutes, I am still looking at getting up at around 0500 at the latest. 0500 would be sleeping in, and only permissable if the weather looked clear and I was confident that everyone commuting into Toronto suddenly developed an acceptable standard of driving ability (If I begin to believe that, I just might take you up on your offer, niner).

I am going to be up extremely early, if I even bother to sleep at all. So those who are saying "Wow, that's cushy", you're not seeing the logistics involved. Those saying "You're not getting up early enough", you're not realizing that I am aware of the logistics involved and presently making my points to members of the first group.

And lastly, I asked the CFRC if I could get there by train. They said my options were Flight or POMV.

Magravan said:
Again, if I lived in the airport, that might be getting to sleep in. When you take into account that leaving any time after 6am will probably mean that I am not there in time, it doesn't seem too 'sleeping in' anymore. If I can sleep in to 5:30 that day, I will be grateful.
Hey that's not too bad, I just found out today my train leaves town at 6:00 am, which means I have to be up and ready by 5:00 am, if not before hand to spend some time with the wife  ;)
I wish I had a 9:00 departure time....

Well best of luck, what time is your flight arriving at?

A train leaving at 6am would be preferable :) It's about 10 mins to the train station with no potential for traffic... a few more minutes if I opted to use the local bus system...

My plane is scheduled to land at 10:15 :)

Pfft, planes and trains...you guys could practically walk to St. Jean!  :p

I was sworn in today and it felt pretty good.  I though it would be another step and it turned out to be a mini milestone.

I am flying out of Calgary on Jan 6 (715am, I should be able to make that, it'll be tough, I am begining to like being on vacation now :))

Another guy that was getting sworn in today for Armor Officer was going on Jan 13th.  Any reason for that?  He had no idea why not the Jan 8th start date.

rob

Another platoon... I had several people at my ceremony who were going on the 13th... I actually pointed out to someone that his sheet said the 6th, so he -would- be going in the same platoon with us... And then the cpl and he both went 'huh?' and the cpl crossed it out and switched it... Which kind of sucked, because he was an entertaining person, and it would have been cool to have him in my group :)

I was just wondering if anyone knew when the next Selection board for LOG or ARTILLERY officers is going to take place.

The next selection board for most, including log and arty, officers is 12 Jan 2007.  Some occupations, like legal and intelligence, have their own boards and do not meet on the same schedule as the general board.

So when is everyone slated to arrive at Montreal/St Jean?  I will be arriving Jan 6th at 1948 (7:48 pm for those who aren't used to a 24 hour clock yet) in Montreal, after a not-so-nice 5 hour stopover in Toronto.

I won't know myself until the 4th.

5 hours? Yikes, I don't think I've ever had to be in Toronto more than an hour or so...thank god.  ;D

Back