• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Met Tech Info?

newmet said:
Hi there,

There has been very little change in the training in the last 5 years.  The TWS course (BOQ/QL3 however you know the 3's) are still in Winnipeg for almost 6 months.  Before the course personnel are normally shipped to Gagetown, unless they have family at another base, they may be able to stay on another base.  Then the course and finally back to Gagetown for 6 months to a year for the 4's package.  After training is completed people are sent where the trade needs them.  Fortunately for the last little while most people have been able to go where they want; however, it won't always be the case as the bases and wings are filling up to required levels.  Many people do end up staying in Gagetown.

If you have further questions you can ask me and if I don't know I am currently surrounded by people who can answer the questions, also I think WeatherdoG is in a better place to answer some questions :)

I'm now actually in the worst place to answer questions... nobody tells us anything when we are on a ship.

Hello,

I realize this thread has been inactive for some time, however I have a basic question.

Who are generally the superiors of Met Techs? I.e. which type of officer is generally in charge? Logistics? Signals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have a fantasy of lording it over Met Techs and are attempting to plan out the appropriate career path?

In weather terms, though, their only superior would be God, who routinely likes to screw with their predictions.

The Commandant of the CF School of Meteorology and the CO of the Joint Met Centre -- the two major Met units --  are both AEC officers (Aerospace Controllers).

Ostrozac said:
The Commandant of the CF School of Meteorology and the CO of the Joint Met Centre -- the two major Met units --  are both AEC officers (Aerospace Controllers).

Thanks!

The CO of CFS Met and the Joint Met Centre are only in charge of their respective units as Commanding Officer. There are no officers in the Met trade so all trade functions such as operations, training, personnel etc are managed by the Senior Met CWO and the Director of Meteorology and Oceanography (a civilian Meteorologist).

If anyone is looking for information about Met Techs such as recruiting, CT/VOT process, training etc., please PM me.
I am the BTL and Training Manager for the Met Trade and should be able to answer most of your questions.

Hi, I'm just a private recruit in my last week at CFLRS. I got my posting message and I'm off to Gagetown. Can anyone tell me what kind of housing or barracks I can expect to be put up in there? After 12 weeks stuck in the green sector at St. Jean, I'm hoping for at least a bit of privacy.  Thanks.

Hey WeatherWiz! Welcome to the met world!

As for what type of barracks you'll be put into, I guess it depends. I am female, and I ended up in shacks with a room to myself for several weeks before I had a roommate join me. The female rooms were 2 to a room, but I believe it was different for the males. I had quite a bit of privacy, even after my roommate joined me, it was a nice change from the Mega (I was green sector as well).

When you are on your 3's in Winnipeg, accommodations are pretty nice. You'll likely be paired with a roommate, and each room has its own bathroom, so you have some degree of privacy there as well.

I didn't bother applying for a PMQ until I finished my 3's course in Winnipeg, I have one now and it's not bad, and there's a few apartment complexes around the area as well.

I'd spend more time worried about passing my course than I would on barracks.... You can control one, and shacks ain't it.

Hey guys,

Just finished my CFAT and qualified for my trade choice (geoTech) but was also told that I should consider Met Tech.

I haven't read much about it to be honest but I would like to know, what kind of opportunities exist for a Met Tech after the military? I know that they don't graduate with a diploma (iiuc) so its basically just your experience.

Any info?

Hey is there any long term Met Techs around that still frequent these boards? If there is one I could PM my questions to and maybe talk a bit with that would be awesome.

I pop in from time to time if you have questions.

methionine said:
Hey guys,

Just finished my CFAT and qualified for my trade choice (geoTech) but was also told that I should consider Met Tech.

I haven't read much about it to be honest but I would like to know, what kind of opportunities exist for a Met Tech after the military? I know that they don't graduate with a diploma (iiuc) so its basically just your experience.

Any info?
As for the question about qualifications after you leave, apart from experience there is little. The old Met Inspector course was run by Environment Canada so that transfered over to the civie world, with the trade developing it's own course I'm not sure how it will be received outside the CAF. There was talk of it being the new Environment Canada standard, with that said people were also making promises about spec pay when we restructured our training system a few years back.

If you plan to make a career of the CAF join a trade because you want to do the job in the military, 25 years is a long time to do a job you don't enjoy.

I pop in from time to time if you have questions.

As for the question about qualifications after you leave, apart from experience there is little. The old Met Inspector course was run by Environment Canada so that transfered over to the civie world, with the trade developing it's own course I'm not sure how it will be received outside the CAF. There was talk of it being the new Environment Canada standard, with that said people were also making promises about spec pay when we restructured our training system a few years back.

If you plan to make a career of the CAF join a trade because you want to do the job in the military, 25 years is a long time to do a job you don't enjoy.
Not sure if this is till active but I would love to talk to some one about the Met trade!

Not sure if this is till active but I would love to talk to some one about the Met trade!
I'm still a Met Tech, and willing to chat about the trade. I'm currently out of town on an inspection trip, but I'm willing to reply to posts, or you can PM me to arrange a time to chat.

I'm still a Met Tech, and willing to chat about the trade. I'm currently out of town on an inspection trip, but I'm willing to reply to posts, or you can PM me to arrange a time to chat.
Not just a Met Tech- best Met tech I ever sailed with!

Not just a Met Tech- best Met tech I ever sailed with!
I'm not sure of that's a compliment, or a dig at everyone else lol. It was a pleasure working for/with you, a definite stand-out experience in my career.

Sailing as a Snr Met Tech was one of the best experiences of my career, and one of the few times that it felt like my training and "expertise" (I didn't feel like an expert) were taken seriously. MH Air Dets are some of the best people I've hard the pleasure of working with over my 20+ yeas as a Met Tech.

Hello,
I am currently waiting for BMQ, I was selected for the Met Tech trade. I was wondering when the next course is in Winnipeg?
Also is OTJ always done in Gagetown? If so how long is that?
Is it possible to post to Gagetown after OTJ?
What has been your favorite part of the job so far?

Thank you for your time.

Hello,
I am currently waiting for BMQ, I was selected for the Met Tech trade. I was wondering when the next course is in Winnipeg?
Also is OTJ always done in Gagetown? If so how long is that?
Is it possible to post to Gagetown after OTJ?
What has been your favorite part of the job so far?

Thank you for your time.
I believe the next course is in January or July of next year. My current position isn't in the training realm, so I'm not up to date on the latest information. As a general rule Met Tech courses start in January, and July, as the course is about 5.5 months long.

OJT is normally in Gagetown, but people with dependents can request OJT at a base closer to their family.

Many Met Techs stay in Gagetown after their training is complete, but postings are mosty dependent on the needs of the CAF, so there are no guarantees beyond getting posted.

My favourite part of the job was sailing as a ship's forecaster with the navy. I got to go cool places, meet amazing people, and have a real impact on daily operations based on my skills and knowledge. My second favourite job is my current job, I travel around to all of the military weather stations in Canada, and inspect them to ensure they meet the national, and international regulations for aviation weather.

I believe the next course is in January or July of next year. My current position isn't in the training realm, so I'm not up to date on the latest information. As a general rule Met Tech courses start in January, and July, as the course is about 5.5 months long.

OJT is normally in Gagetown, but people with dependents can request OJT at a base closer to their family.

Many Met Techs stay in Gagetown after their training is complete, but postings are mosty dependent on the needs of the CAF, so there are no guarantees beyond getting posted.

My favourite part of the job was sailing as a ship's forecaster with the navy. I got to go cool places, meet amazing people, and have a real impact on daily operations based on my skills and knowledge. My second favourite job is my current job, I travel around to all of the military weather stations in Canada, and inspect them to ensure they meet the national, and international regulations for aviation weather.
Why so many in Gagetown? Is it due to the artillery school?

Back