• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name Tapes

Next we will go the way of the USN and RAN and put one over the other side saying "Navy"!

Pat in Halifax said:
Next we will go the way of the USN and RAN and put one over the other side saying "Navy"!
Why not, anchors might not be enough of a clue for the clueless.  ::)

Pat in Halifax said:

I believe the original nametags when the new NC jacket was announced had NAVY/MARINE on it as well. Thank God that went away. With the addition of the anchor the nametag is too long and looks odd. Fortunately I have a surplus of the older ones.

Pat in Halifax said:

Considering I've been called WO when dressed in N1/N3, it might not be enough.

I don't mean to play devils advocate but is there any documentation stating this is the way it is now?

You gotta be careful with that anchor thing.  I met a Slovakian combat engineer the other week who has anchor on his name tag.  Maybe the RCN should leave it off to avoid confusion with engineer corps of a land locked country.

AmmoTech90 said:
You gotta be careful with that anchor thing.  I met a Slovakian combat engineer the other week who has anchor on his name tag.  Maybe the RCN should leave it off to avoid confusion with engineer corps of a land locked country.
No, no I just think he wanted to be a cool guy and look like a Sailor.  ;D

Chiefy268 said:
I don't mean to play devils advocate but is there any documentation stating this is the way it is now?

Not that I've seen.  I can't imagine anyone being required to provide documentation supporting something that's coming out of clothing stores, either.  Just walk around with a picture of someone important wearing them and bust it out if pressed.

Here - http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_eng.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=28103&site=combatcamera

If they are going to go that route, they should at least have velcro backing
that is the same size as the name tape made for them
also if it can't stand a hot iron what the hell are they doing on "fire resistant" NCD's
I'm sure the Tailors beside the Canex (Esquimalt) once they have the pattern will make something of higher quality than Base Supply (as they always do), faster if I may say and with stitching that doesn't run together on the letters.

jollyjacktar said:
...  I guess having the gold black nametapes, rank insignia and NCD's was not enough of a clue for some that the wearer was a Sailor.

Except that all wearers of NCDs are not sailors. Some are Army, some RCAF; they will now have their own elemental symbol on their nametapes.  ;)

Stacked said:
Also, the reason you're seeing it mostly on new OS's is because the Fleet School is pushing for us to switch to those.

Uhhmmm, no. The reason it mostly seems to be OS' is precisely because it is the new people to the CF (ie: the OS') whose nametapes are freshly ordered. Those of us with TI, don't order nametapes on a regular basis as we usually have zero requirement for them as we already have at least three.

Last time I ordered nametapes for myself, I was the Sgt in Clothing Stores; it's been quite a while.

I would suspect that each ship has been smart enough to have their storsey submit the nominal roll (with element) to their supporting clothing stores as a bulk order for all Ship's crew by this point in time.

ArmyVern said:
Except that all wearers of NCDs are not sailors. Some are Army, some RCAF; they will now have their own elemental symbol on their nametapes.  ;)
So true. But, they still wear their environmental rank slip on's.  If that is not a dead give away they're not blessed, I don't know if an eagle or crossed swords will be better.  I find the OD and CADPAT are eye catching enough.  Perhaps the crown and anchor wheel extras might be for civilians who maybe need the extra assistance with spot the sailor.  :nod:

ArmyVern said:
I would suspect that each ship has been smart enough to have their storsey submit the nominal roll (with element) to their supporting clothing stores as a bulk order for all Ship's crew by this point in time.
Which is what happened to us, and why they want us now to change over all our nametapes.  The tailors must love it if they are paid by piece work.

jollyjacktar said:
Which is what happened to us, and why they want us now to change over all our nametapes.  The tailors must love it if they are paid by piece work.

Depends upon whether or not the tailors at your location are contracted workers or DND employees.

ArmyVern said:
Depends upon whether or not the tailors at your location are contracted workers or DND employees.
Contracted.

jollyjacktar said:
So true. But, they still wear their environmental rank slip on's. 

I used to wear the more fashionable old green dress slip ons on my NCD's/coveralls because the CADPAT ones I thought looked retarded on the the NCD's and it's pretty hard to see the rank anyway...and I know a number of Army folks that wore/wear the black one's for the same reason.  The problem with the dark green is they look black to the casual observer and they aren't made anymore (or even technically legal); obviously the black ones make someone assume you're a fish head, so why not wear an environmental tag on something that people will immediately see?

MM

jollyjacktar said:
Contracted.

I'm sure whoever "led this change" to the nametapes for NCDs took into account the associated costs of that little fortune those contractors will be making at your location then to get everyone squared away.

'Tween that and executive curls, I'm amazed you all can afford the sea-gas to keep your ships sailing.  >:D

As an aside, I wore environmental rank slipons when I was there, but it didn't seem to matter much. They still called me OD despite the fact I was blue. It was well more obvious back then too; we wore workdress (blue, green or black) every day as the first generation NCDs (you know, the ones that shrunk all the way up to ones knees) were just coming online. Hope these nametapes help!!

jollyjacktar said:
Also a word to the wise in these new nametapes.  We found that they don't like a hot iron passed over them and will start to melt onto the surface of the iron.  We have been instructed to change out our nametapes to the new ones.  And yes, they are longer than the old ones.  Gold and Black's for the NCD that is. I guess having the gold black nametapes, rank insignia and NCD's was not enough of a clue for some that the wearer was a Sailor.

Hey, hey now. It's been the Navy screaming for all the extraneous bling it could possibly get for years. Don't be deploying the sea anchor because some shore bound swabby decides to get their 'leading change' bubble filled! Not everyone wet gets to wear an executive curl after all. ;D

ArmyVern said:
Last time I ordered nametapes for myself, I was the Sgt in Clothing Stores; it's been quite a while.

Yeah, but stores people order them 50 at a time for themselves  ;D

recceguy said:
Yeah, but stores people order them 50 at a time for themselves  ;D

Impossible!! They are ordered by UI: SE (1 set = 3 each) and ergo it is actually 51 for each of us!!  ;D

Back