• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Here is a different one I found on my way to somewhere else.  The markings in this photo are civilian but there was a military connection.

In the US Army it was known as:

Truck, 1-ton, 3x3, Cargo, Pneumatic Roller Type (Dodge 'Power Wagon', modified)

A 1954 conversion, the Goodyear 'Rolligon' tires were driven by rollers (8 per wheel).  Later versions had 3 chain-driven 'Terratires', and 4 'Terratires' on standard axles.

Blackadder1916 said:
In the US Army it was known as:

Truck, 1-ton, 3x3, Cargo, Pneumatic Roller Type (Dodge 'Power Wagon', modified)

A 1954 conversion, the Goodyear 'Rolligon' tires were driven by rollers (8 per wheel).  Later versions had 3 chain-driven 'Terratires', and 4 'Terratires' on standard axles.

Interesting. The source says that this was a prototype and was tested, but not adopted.  The later versions were a different vehicle, the MM-1 Teracruzer, part of the Mace missile system

http://www.mace-b.com/38TMW/Missiles/MM-1.htm
http://blog.hemmings.com/

I hope that they weren't trying to prove that this vehicle could be safely driven over a human being!  :eek:

Emenince Grise said:
Interesting. The source says that this was a prototype and was tested, but not adopted.  . . .
I doubt there were many, but even prototype and testbed vehicles had official nomenclature regardless of the quantity in the system. 

Let's try this one.

Old and Tired said:
Kampfpanzer 3, Experimental vehicle.  Dual 120 Smoothbore guns .
Well not really. It is one of the GVT (Gefechtsversuchsträger~Experimental Battle Vehicle) trial tanks for an theoretical Leo2 replacement.

Regards,
ironduke57

Emenince Grise said:
Yes, they were and yes, it could!

I take it the tires had adjustable air pressure or something??? I sure wouldn't want to be the guinea pig!

Old and Tired said:
Kampfpanzer 3, Experimental vehicle.  Dual 120 Smoothbore guns .
This vehicle is occasionally (and incorrectly) identified as Kampfpanzer (or Leopard) 3.  Ironduke responded with its correct identity.  But there is more.  Hopefully I'll have it mostly right as much of my research came from German language sources.  (Ironduke will surely pounce on me if I stray)

The photo was of one of the prototype GVT (Gefechtsversuchsträger).  Generally falling under this title there were (at least) two further definitions; VT 1-1 (twin 105mm guns), and VT 1-2 (twin 120mm guns).   The photo I presented (as well as Geo) is of one of the remaining prototypes that is in Augustdorf; as best as I can determine this one is a VT 1-1.  It is also the one that is usually identified as Kampfpanzer 3, but it has also been identified as a VLT.  The (only remaining) VT 1-2 is found in a museum at Koblenz.

Some of the other GVT may have met the fate below.

Blackadder... some differences in the tracks on the Augustdorf vehicle VS the one in Koblenz.  Not sure if it's due to different weight distribution for 2 X 120mm VS 2 X 105mm.

To my untrained civvy eyes, the turret looks Leo1-ish, but the desert pic throws it off... Time for some research!

Correction: Nagmachon heavy armored personnel carrier

Back