• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navymich's story

Happy New Year to you too, mich.
Good Luck on your course and probably see you up in the tower or IFRCC.

Look, me speak Airforce, mommy, when can I learn army??
hangin.gif

Happy New Year Mich!

Hey, what's the nautical term for "big hole dug into lots of granite"?  ;)  Actually, I think you're safe on that one, now.  Best of luck on course!

G2G

Happy New Year Mitch; all the best in your new trade....

BTY, CFRC told my bro, Sean (exNavres now air) to report to Gagetown 03 Jan for course at CFSME; I said WTF??? told Sean sweet f**** all except duty pers there then (I should know, spent 11 previous xmases in gagtown). CFRC told Sean nope, I was wrong and to report 03 Jan. Long story short, Sean drove/ ferry 12 hours from here Sept Iles, lower north shore Que to gagtown, reported to J7, was told...  ::) no record of him coming, all units closed for holiday; duty pers only, yada, yada, yada...transient quarters until monday...no life like it

Welcome to the military, his first screw over.  Unfortunately it won't be his last bout with bad information.
BTDT numerous times.
:blotto: totally stupendous how that happens.

D 'n D....I like that ;D

We should have a theme song.

Happy New Year Mich, and you will adapt to the changes, and you will do well.

Happy New Year Mich. Like always, you'll adapt, overcome, and succeed. Stay true to yourself, and all will be well.

K.

Happy New Year, Mich! I know you meant to mention me at the top of that list of yours ;). Things have been coming along for you, and you're totally going to kick ass with your new trade! I know it, I've foreseen it. I've felt a disturbance in the force. I experienced what can be described as hundres of voices suddenly going silent... but in a good way! Enough for the lame sci fi references, point is: go get 'em. Tiger.

Also, yarrrrr.

When I started this thread, I was in the process of applying for, or rather trying to apply for, aesop.  I've still been following the aesop thread in the air force board, and it is great to see so many of the members finally getting their acceptance messages.  Still has me wishing at times that I had kept pushing for it, but when I really sit and think about it, I am very happy where I am.

I am 4 weeks into my course now and, to quote Rice from above, kicking ***.  I won't go into the course itself, as there is a thread on that around here too.  But I will say that many of you were right, I wasn't able to keep my tongue bit!  Hard not to with junior/young people on course.  But I am proud to say that I have been able to hold myself in check most of the time, and not telling too many salty sailor stories!  8)

That's great to hear Mich.....when will you know where you are posted after the course?  :)

IN HOC SIGNO said:
That's great to hear Mich.....when will you now where you are posted after the course?  :)

Course ends 19 Apr, so I would guess.....20 Apr??  ;D

"They" said that we should find out during the last week of the course.  We had to put in our posting preferences this past week.  Not sure if you are aware of how the trade works?  After your 3's course, the trade splits to ATC or AD (air defense).  ATC starts off in a tower at several bases whereas AD starts out in North Bay.  I am interested in AD (as are 2 others on my course).  But like everything else, there is no guarantee that we will get our choice, or our preferred posting either.  Therefore it was recommended to those wishing AD to put down a couple of preferences if we happened to get sent ATC.  So my preferences went in as: North Bay, Comox and Cold Lake.

For the first half of our course, we are taught ATC, while the last half is AD.  Hearing from our instructors and former students too, many people change their minds several times as they progress through the course, as to which side they want to take.  Right now, I am strong and true for AD, but hey, time will tell! :D

airmich said:
Course ends 19 Apr, so I would guess.....20 Apr??   ;D

"They" said that we should find out during the last week of the course.  We had to put in our posting preferences this past week.  Not sure if you are aware of how the trade works?  After your 3's course, the trade splits to ATC or AD (air defense).  ATC starts off in a tower at several bases whereas AD starts out in North Bay.  I am interested in AD (as are 2 others on my course).  But like everything else, there is no guarantee that we will get our choice, or our preferred posting either.  Therefore it was recommended to those wishing AD to put down a couple of preferences if we happened to get sent ATC.  So my preferences went in as: North Bay, Comox and Cold Lake.

For the first half of our course, we are taught ATC, while the last half is AD.  Hearing from our instructors and former students too, many people change their minds several times as they progress through the course, as to which side they want to take.  Right now, I am strong and true for AD, but hey, time will tell! :D

Very interesting...I hope you get your first choice. Never been posted to North Bay but I hear it's good go.
cheers  ;)

IN HOC SIGNO said:
That's great to hear Mich.....when will you know where you are posted after the course?  :)

TODAY!!

The school Chief came in today to tell us our postings.  Earlier then the courses usually hear, so it was a pleasant surprise.  Still have to get through 4 more weeks of course, and our messages are being held until the end, but we were told locations today.

I'm going to NORTH BAY!!  ;D 

airmich said:
TODAY!!

The school Chief came in today to tell us our postings.  Earlier then the courses usually hear, so it was a pleasant surprise.  Still have to get through 4 more weeks of course, and our messages are being held until the end, but we were told locations today.

Well, I could think of a few places I'd rather be posted...  But, if that's what you want, I'm happy for you!

Congrats!!  We had a few North bay  guys come sail with us yrs back on the Algonquin from North Bay, I'm sure they were Air Defense fellows. Was neat to meet them as I had chatted with them on the phone many times to set up "link'  1 fellow spent the week talking to the toilet. He was in terrible shape.  Enjoy North bay

airmich said:
TODAY!!

Congrats, mich.
Welcome to "The Hole".  Hope you're not claustrophobic or have problems working underground in a mineshaft???
;D
Sure you don't want tower?      :D    :D
WE need nicer voices up there, grouchy guys suck!    :P

BYT Driver said:
Congrats, mich.
Welcome to "The Hole".  Hope you're not claustrophobic or have problems working underground in a mineshaft???
;D
Sure you don't want tower?      :D    :D
WE need nicer voices up there, grouchy guys suck!    :P

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/22wing/news/releases_e.asp?cat=141&id=1611

The end of an era at 22 Wing North Bay

Oct. 12, 2006

The new aboveground complex at 22 Wing North Bay opened today.

By Holly Bridges

Personnel at 22 Wing North Bay will never have to pop Vitamin D again, at least not on the job. 

One of the last vestiges of the Cold War in Canada, the underground complex carved deep into the Canadian Shield, is now officially closed, replaced by a new, state-of-the-art aboveground facility that opened today. 

No more bus rides, no more thirsting for sunlight.  "Folks have a spring in their steps," says 22 Wing North Bay Commander, Colonel Rick Pitre.  "It's a huge thing that after 43 years as cave dwellers, our folks finally get to see the sun.  Here comes the sun!"

The "hole" as it's been affectionately called by generations of Canadian Forces personnel, is now just that - a hole in the ground.  The complex opened in the early 1960s when Canada began safeguarding our airspace under the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) agreement.  It was the height of the Cold War and it seemed only natural to build Canada's nerve centre for air sovereignty 600 feet underground to survive a nuclear attack. 

Forty years later, with the Cold War over and the risk of nuclear war diminished, the Air Force has closed the underground complex and built an aboveground air operations centre full of high tech bells and whistles.

"To give you an example of the kind of capability we now have in this new facility - we can now track more than 10,000 flight plans using the new battle control system whereas the old system allowed us to track only about 200.  The capacity that we have to monitor and defend North American air space is now significantly more profound than it was in the past," says Col Pitre.

And not a moment too soon.  The world isn't what it was before 9/11, especially North American air space.  Col Pitre says the new aboveground complex, and the mission computers that go along with it, will allow Canada to defend North American airspace and prosecute interlopers as never before.

"The vast majority of North American air traffic comes through Canada so in many respects we are the first frontier for anything of a peripheral nature," says Col Pitre.  "We play a vital role in helping Canada and the United States protect and defend our sovereignty."

The nostalgia of closing a chapter in Canadian Air Force history, while palpable, is replaced, without a doubt, by the exhilaration and excitement of operating in fully modernized, state-of-the-art facility.

The building was dedicated in honour and remembrance of Sergeant David Lindsay Pitcher who is the only air defender to lose his life in the line of duty. Sergeant Pitcher was a crewmember aboard the 962d Airborne Air Control Squadron (AACS) E-3, Yukla 27, which crashed in Elmendorf, Alaska on September 22, 1995. The 962d AACS conducted a flypast during the ceremony to help commemorate the event. CF-18 Hornets and a CC-130T Hercules also conducted flypasts during the ceremony.

Thank you for posting that Baden Guy.  Some people (not mentioning any names......BYT Driver) are a bit behind the times.  ;D

flames9, I hope I get the chance to get back to sea for a visit while I'm there.  But hopefully my sea legs are still a bit existent too!

Jaydub, yes, there are other places I'd like to be as well, but North Bay is what I wanted, and who knows from there!

Back