• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Operational Service Medals?

misratah500

Inactive
Reaction score
Have any of these been issued yet. They Haiti one, or the Expedition one. They released these medals about a year ago but I haven't heard about anyone getting them awarded them yet. I've had my paperwork in for the OSM Exp since last spring now and haven't heard a whiff. Do you think they mint is really busy or something like that.

I recieved my OSM-Humanitas this past summer, as did all the members of the DART Sigs Tp.

Thousands have been issued and the Mint is pumping them out as fast as they can.

I've seen several different OSMs here in Cold Lake but in conversation with a friend waiting for his OSM-Haiti it seems it has a lot to do with the people in your CoC and OR. He was in Haiti with the Infantry seven years ago and is still waiting to be presented his. (He works at a squadron now) Despite dozens of visits over the past year to the OR to make sure there is no paperwork problem, as well as intervention on his behalf from supervisors, he's still waiting. Yet a guy currently at the same unit as him who was in Haiti at the same time (with a Tac Hel unit) received his last year. Also his former infantry co-workers from who remained in the infantry up to this point also have received their medals.

He figures at this point he will receive his Libya medal before his OSM-H. Even taking into account the fact that the Libya medal hasn't been developed yet. Although we were told by the General from CEFCOM that it will more than likely be a GCS/GSM with Libya ribbon.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
          I've seen several different OSMs here in Cold Lake but in conversation with a friend waiting for his OSM-Haiti it seems it has a lot to do with the people in your CoC and OR. He was in Haiti with the Infantry seven years ago and is still waiting to be presented his. (He works at a squadron now) Despite dozens of visits over the past year to the OR to make sure there is no paperwork problem, as well as intervention on his behalf from supervisors, he's still waiting. Yet a guy currently at the same unit as him who was in Haiti at the same time (with a Tac Hel unit) received his last year. Also his former infantry co-workers from who remained in the infantry up to this point also have received their medals.

He figures at this point he will receive his Libya medal before his OSM-H. Even taking into account the fact that the Libya medal hasn't been developed yet. Although we were told by the General from CEFCOM that it will more than likely be a GCS/GSM with Libya ribbon.

PM me his details.  I was on that mission (2004), and I'll see what I can do from my end.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
Although we were told by the General from CEFCOM that it will more than likely be a GCS/GSM with Libya ribbon.

That certainly fits the description and purpose of the GCS/GSM.

CDNAIRFORCE said:

I had to go into my OR twice to get the ball rolling...the gong arrived not long afterwards.  Of course, there was a waiting period while they tried to find someone of an appropriate rank to present it. 

MM

My paperwork just went in for the OSM (Expedition)........see how long it takes............

Yeah I just finished up with OP Mobile myself, and I was also wondering what medal they think will be done. We heard a rumor that NATO was going to commission a new medal for Operation Unified Protector. So what if NATO does that, will the CF still create a GCS/GSM for the operation?

misratah500 said:
Yeah I just finished up with OP Mobile myself,

I have as well and have heard the same rumours as you but, in the end, NATO medal or not, Canada is free to issue whatever medal it wishes.

That would sound like a similar scenario to some of the people here in CL who were involved in the Allied Force campaign in 1999. Most people I know had initially the NATO-K medal for that and when the GCS/GSM with AF bar was introduced several years later they were able to exchange the NATO medal for the other one. On the basis of one mission, one medal they could only wear one or the other.

That said, there are still a handful who were involved in only the Allied Force campaign who just never bothered to exchange their NATO-K even though they are entitled to the GSM-AF. One person used the phrase "I like the look of the NATO one better."

CDNAIRFORCE said:
      That would sound like a similar scenario

No. What happened for OAF has nothing to do with this.

Back then, Canada had issues the NATO medal and then, years later, created the GCS and decided to replace the NATO medal for these people with the GCS.

If NATO creates a medal for OUP, Canada does not have to issue it to its personnel. Canada can chose to issue its own medal, GCS or otherwise.

I thought the whole point of overhauling the medals system with the creation of the GCS/GSM/OSM was for quick recognition of missions for personnel. OP Mobile started what back in Feb 2011. I bet we don't see anything till the summer of 2012. Thats a year and a half. I guess that's fast in the government.

A useful quote from the document organizing/authorizing a recent event in Ottawa:

"Medals.  NATO has created a medal for Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR and Canada has received a copy.  It is currently being considered and a decision is expected in November 2011.  If found suitable by Canada, the medal distribution may start as early as Feb 2012."

Personally, if you look at the description for the GCS, you'll see the following quote: 

"The General Campaign Star (GCS) is awarded to members of the Canadian Forces and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who deploy into a defined theatre of operations to take part in operations in the presence of an armed enemy."

I'm on a wait and see for this....and wait...and wait....interesting that they can deploy us on 26 hours notice, but it takes month to figure out what the appropriate recognition is.  *shrug*  Hurry up and wait....nothing new here.

As for the OSM, I was told by my last unit that the paperwork for my OSM as part of OP Caribe was being delayed in Ottawa....I should go see my new unit OR now I guess and see what they can figure out for me.

NS

"Medals.  NATO has created a medal for Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR and Canada has received a copy.  It is currently being considered and a decision is expected in November 2011.  If found suitable by Canada, the medal distribution may start as early as Feb 2012."

Where the heck did this come from? Is this an internal document? Or is it on the DH&H website? This is the most solid thing I've heard about it so far. We heard rumors of NATO making a medal which they rightfully would, but never knew it was finished. I wonder why they would keep it under wraps. I imagine if the CF let them issue the previous NATO medals for OAE, Africa, Kosovo, Yugo etc. Then I pretty sure they'll issue this one as well.

Which is funny because OP Mobile is also the perfect CF mission for an issue of the GCS since it was in the "presence of an armed enemy". I talked to the Charlottetown's clerks and they said that their unit was fighting for two. One from NATO and a GCS. That was back in August. I wonder how thats working out for them. Only time will tell.

But what is apparent is that Stephen Harper really liked this OP because it was his, it was clean, get in get out, no casualties.

misratah500 said:
I imagine if the CF let them issue the previous NATO medals for OAE, Africa, Kosovo, Yugo etc. Then I pretty sure they'll issue this one as well.

Thats some funny logic right there. Those medals were issued at a time where there was no corresponding Canadian medal.

In the end, so what ? There will be a medal. NATO or GCS.....whatever..........nothing to get wrapped around the axle over.........

misratah500 said:
But what is apparent is that Stephen Harper really liked this OP because it was his, it was clean, get in get out, no casualties.

Say what?  How is that even relevant to medals?  And even further to that how is it apparent?  Or is this just a  useless broad-brushing drive by.

misratah500 said:
I talked to the Charlottetown's clerks and they said that their unit was fighting for two. One from NATO and a GCS. That was back in August. I wonder how thats working out for them. Only time will tell.

There can be only one.  A principle tenet of the Canadian Honours System is that dual recognition is not allowed.  If Canada accepts a NATO medal into the honours system to recognize this operation, then there will be no GCS issued.  The reason Canada did not accept the NATO ISAF medal (and issued a GCS instead) is because the NATO medal did not cover everything we wanted recognized.

Back