• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Picture frames @ BMQ (yes, enough for a merged topic)

Atticus, sorry but this one has leapt far off the tracks and I am going to end it before the gong gets louder.

Springroll, in case you missed the subtlety from other's posts, George made it quite clear for you:
George Wallace said:
Silly questions.   Questions at inappropriate times.   Not listening to Instructions.   Not paying attention to detail....................Not doing any of those and a myriad of other silly things.

Now, if you want to have a pic of the Queen in your frame I am sure no one will tell you that you can't have it there, but that is not the point, is it? Why draw attention to yourself as an individual when you are at BMQ trying to learn how to function as a team? I think it would be much easier if you would just read the instructions given and put a picture in the frame of a loved one. Your hubby, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, brothers, sisters, kids, parents, anything that says normal put the Van Gogh in there and I can almost guarantee that you will get all the attention it seems you crave. That is a suggestion from me and not the rule.

By the way, I thought you had a good source right in your very house, why don't you ask him?

Thread Locked, if anyone has something meaningful to add PM me.

Good day to all :

I apologize if this has been covered, but my search function was acting up and I am in a rush for an answer - the 5' x 7' picture frame that must be purchased at the Canex during BMQ, can the photograph that goes inside it be of landscape orientation, or must it strictly be portrait orientation. 

Thanks as always.  Just received my call two days ago for BMQ JAN 26 2015 and I figured I'd let my mother pick a photograph for the frame as a Christmas present but I'd hate to have it not approved because it was a landscape and not a portrait. 

-B

Hmm I wonder if we are even supposed to bring a pic as it only says we have to buy a frame there is no mention of bringing a pic for it or if it's for another purpose....

Also I started a Jan 26 BMQ Thread you may want to check it out or ask the question there perhaps someone could help you

Thanks MM. 

Mods please delete this thread for server space if you so like.

Question re: this picture frame that I couldn't find in the larger thread:

I have one of those digital picture frames (in 5x7 format) that cycles through a bunch of digital pics. Do those who've been or worked there think this would be frowned upon? It'd be nice to have a few different photos rolling through.

Main thread is locked so I am posting here.

I wrongly assumed the link (https://army.ca/forums/threads/34829) provided to me for the comprehensive thread on Picture Frames @ BMQ would have the answer, but after carefully reading through the 3 pages of material my question still remains unanswered unfortunately and I am hoping to find an answer ASAP :

Does anyone know if the photograph(s) can be in landscape orientation or is it strictly required to be portrait orientation?

If anyone knows the answer I would very much appreciate it. 

Thanks. 

You will have far more pressing concerns at BMQ then picture orientations. Seriously.

A good portion of people didn't have a picture at all when they arrived.  Outside of the occasional harassment regarding it, it made not a single bit of difference if they passed or not.

Bring two pictures. Stress about something that will actually be the difference between a pass/fail.

While I appreciate and accept the reminder to worry about more important aspects of the environment, I am asking because I know my aging mother would enjoy tracking down a couple family photos, and it would be a pity to find out some cannot be used because they are not the 'correct' orientation according to a regulation to which I am unclear exists or not. 

In short, does it matter what orientation or not?

Thanks

Used for what?  Take which ever one you want, stick it in the bottom of your personal drawer and you'll be busy enough in no time to even remember it's there.  Think of the excitement when the course is over, you've concentrated on things that matter AND you find the pic when you are packing up to leave. 

Thanks.  I was just wondering if the staff cared or not for inspection purposes as from what I've seen uniformity is a pretty important concept. 

From my experience, orientation didn't matter, just that the frame was filled.

Looks like Boris' last thread got merged and then the whole thread got locked (why?) so I'll repost my ? from that thread here in case anyone can give some insight.

I have one of those digital picture frames (in 5x7 format) that cycles through a bunch of digital pics. Do those who've been or worked there think this would be frowned upon? It'd be nice to have a few different photos rolling through. A 5x7 digital picture frame is still a 5x7 picture frame, but will I get crapped on for bringing one of these instead of a standard one?

Folks, these are legitimate questions so please can someone answer without some low blows on the new recruits?
Thanks,
Bruce
army.ca Staff

Short version: probably portrait orientation.

Long version: unless inventory at the CFLRS Canex has changed, you will likely be expected to purchase a small, plastic, L-shaped photo frame which can be stood either in portrait or landscape orientation.

When I went through, we all bought the same frame which had the same stock photo of a cute brunette; many of us had no photos, so our staff humorously concluded that the brunette who appeared in all of our photo frames must have been a very popular lady.  Others drew pictures on loose-leaf with pencils, which the staff found funny.  One guy had such a huge dustbunny that he had to place it in his frame, which we found funny.

Other platoons were given strict guidelines on the photo and had to have/acquire a real photo to fill the frame.  The demeanor and training approach of your platoon staff, and even your individual section commanders, will go a long way to determining what is acceptable regarding the photo frame.  To play it same, use the short version of my answer (above).  To play it ultra-safe and account for possible inventory changes at Canex, bring 1 photo in each orientation.

Either way, despite the potential perception of negative tone from the previous posters, a lot of what they are saying is true; you will not have very much time to enjoy your photos.  I read a couple of books on BMOQ, mostly while in the Blue Break Room (which you will become intimately familiar with) and on weekends.  Weeknights, I took care of my kit, quarters, studying, and homework; if I finished early, I took care of someone else's.

Feel free to ask follow up questions; I will answer politely.

Go with a 5 x 7 portrait. IIRC  the point was "a picture of a loved one" for your desk. I wouldn't use a digital frame because the power cord would be an issue. As for the content, it depends on your staff.  I knew one guy who had a picture of his dog.  I knew another who had a picture of his roommate's wife because he didn't have a picture.

It depends on your staff. My staff doesn't seem to care if it's portrait or landscape or if it's 5x7 or if it's even an actual picture. One woman in my platoon has a drawing that her kids made for her. Your staff may ask about the picture, they may not. Just don't sweat it. It's just a photo.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Edit - mods, should we merge this with the other photograph thread?

https://army.ca/forums/threads/34829

According to the most recent version of the BMQ/BMOQ Joining Instructions........

Annex B - Part 2

The following items will be purchased by candidates exclusively at Canex after their arrival at CFLRS.

Qty - 1;  Picture Frame 5 x 7

Back